House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Current Gen Console Vs. Pc

Maybe this will open a can of worms.

Currently on PS3.Thinking of moving either onto PS4 or PC. But two things. One games looking not so good so far and consoles looking a bit underpowered.

So has anyone built a games PC for the price of a console ?

Any comments ?

There are a few things to consider:

• the price of the consoles is ok for the performance,
  • PCs can outstrip the consoles in terms of performance depending on budget (and the gap will increase over time),
  • The PS4/Xbox One are basically PCs so easier to port their games to PC,
  • Not much interesting out on consoles (at the moment),
  • Whether there are any 'console exclusives' you really want.

I don't really game that much these days (PC only), only really looking forward to GTA V and Civ Beyond Earth this year and Cyberpunk 2077 and new Deus Ex next year. Planning to build a rig based around Intel Skylake in 2016 when that looks like coming out.

Aye plus dont forget the steam sales. PC might be more initially but further down the line games get a lot cheaper even more so than second hand on Ps4. Then play PC until ps4 is dirt cheap and pick it up for the exclusives, thats my plan anyway :)

Yes, good point and PC games are cheaper anyway, even at launch. Say Watch Dogs (released end of May), for example, is currently £46 quid on PS4 on Amazon at the moment and £31 on PC (probably be less than £25 in the next month or two).

That said you can currently trade in console games which you can't on PC.

I'm pretty useless at First Person Shooters, at least from the point of view of actually shooting anyone. The only FPS's I've ever got properly into have been Tribes 2, Wolfenstien: ET, and Team Fortress 2, all of which have a tactical element, and a role for players who can't shoot for shit but can deploy and maintain infrastructure etc.

Also I'm quite set in my ways, so can't imagine transitioning from Mouse + WASD to twin analogue joypad pointers is ever going to end well.

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago for what seemed like a cheap price at the time; I'd just bought a 3DTV and thought it would be useful for playing 3D Blu-Rays, of which I've since acquired precisely one :rolleyes: . My brother has just about had my money's worth since, playing Dark Souls and GTA V through to completion, whereas I've barely touched the thing- my wife has used it for playing DVDs more than I've used it for gaming.

A few months ago I spent many hours playing FTL: Faster Than Light, which I bought for about 4 quid on Steam and which (obviously) played fine on my 5 year old PC. I enjoyed it immensely and eventually beat the final boss (albeit that I'm a very long way from scratching the surface of the game's complexities); I got as much pleasure out of it as I did when I was maxed out on Wolfenstein XPs and kicking everyone's ass.

I guess I should spend more time gaming and less time drinking / fighting the internet, but even if I started that tomorrow I'd be in no hurry to buy a next gen console _or_ upgrade my current Core2Duo / ATi 4850 PC.

Just to add that as much as thought FTL was a wonderful Indie game (and- deliberately?- easy to cheat if you don't enjoy 'Roguelikes'*) I also bought Papers Please and didn't like it much. Maybe I should have played it on easy and seen the story through, but I just found it frustrating on Normal mode. On my second playthrough I rejected the pimp and got penalised for it, and still saw in the news that the sex slaves died anyway?!

* FWIW I illegally saved the FTL game when I got though to the final stage with awesome weapons and loads of scrap, but then I beat the mothership first time. Apologies if this makes sense to nobody.

Im going to buy Bail-out 2 when it comes out...plays great on a BBC.

I used to play some FPS games on the PC and found that far supeiror to attempting to play them on a console (mainly due to the keyboard and mouse control system). However, I've given up playing FPS type games as they started giving me motion sickness (maybe an age thing?) and they all get a bit samey after a while unless you play online; but in online matches I got fed up with spraying an alreay bloodied and beaten enemy player with an entire clip of ammo from the most powerful weapon in the game only to have them duck and weave past all the shots and then take me out with a blunt rusty spoon despite my full health and armour. I'd like to think this was down to some method of cheating but its probably just because I don't have what it takes to challenge a 12 year old who spends 10 hours a day honing their ability to humiliate me in virtual combat.

I now (occassionally) play 3rd party open world / action games (GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, the Arkham series) on an XBox 360 hooked up to the 60" TV in the living room. I have to say that these games on this set up are astonishingly good (despite the last gen hardware) and it will take something pretty awesome to get me to part with cash for a new console or gaming PC... Of course, it will come eventually (especially as developers figure out how to squeeze every ounce of performance from the new consoles) but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon yet and expect to get another 12 to 24 months out of the 360.

One games looking not so good so far

Amen brother! I would have been first in line to buy a PS4 if there were any good games out! Quite ridiculous that it's going to take a year for the good games to come out. Never seen that in a console before.

I'm pretty useless at First Person Shooters, at least from the point of view of actually shooting anyone. The only FPS's I've ever got properly into have been Tribes 2, Wolfenstien: ET, and Team Fortress 2, all of which have a tactical element, and a role for players who can't shoot for shit but can deploy and maintain infrastructure etc.

Also I'm quite set in my ways, so can't imagine transitioning from Mouse + WASD to twin analogue joypad pointers is ever going to end well.

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago for what seemed like a cheap price at the time; I'd just bought a 3DTV and thought it would be useful for playing 3D Blu-Rays, of which I've since acquired precisely one :rolleyes: . My brother has just about had my money's worth since, playing Dark Souls and GTA V through to completion, whereas I've barely touched the thing- my wife has used it for playing DVDs more than I've used it for gaming.

A few months ago I spent many hours playing FTL: Faster Than Light, which I bought for about 4 quid on Steam and which (obviously) played fine on my 5 year old PC. I enjoyed it immensely and eventually beat the final boss (albeit that I'm a very long way from scratching the surface of the game's complexities); I got as much pleasure out of it as I did when I was maxed out on Wolfenstein XPs and kicking everyone's ass.

I guess I should spend more time gaming and less time drinking / fighting the internet, but even if I started that tomorrow I'd be in no hurry to buy a next gen console _or_ upgrade my current Core2Duo / ATi 4850 PC.

Aww Wolfenstein:ET. Those were the days raining down mortars on enemy positions or using the panzer. "I'm an Engineer'.... 'I'm a medic'. I remember users built some of their own levels some of which were decent.

PC games can shift loads more polygons and have higher resolution textures etc these days. but since console games are completely optimised for the system the games on it look have a more coherent style and generally look much better to me.

It's got to the stage where more power doesn't make much difference to the look of games IMO. Nintendo games on the massively underpowered Wii U look far superiour to the latest dull realistic first person shooter on the PC rendered in every minute detail.

Also tend to find FPS games to become a bit "samey" after a while, despite mostly really enjoying them.

I think the reason I got so into WoT is because its a constant switch between 1st and 3rd person gameplay, as well as learning to adapt gameplay for each different vehicle. It never seems to get old.

Top end PCs (obviously not within the £600 budget, but more like £1500+) totally destroy consoles. They are already massively ahead and the gap will grow with new gfx cards etc.

The cutting edge of gaming is on the PC.

I would recommend Planetside 2 for anyone looking for a FPS that offers something different - very different from the usual CoD or BF games.

"No Man's Sky" looks pretty exciting, and is only confirmed for the PS4.

On the other hand if you like pure strategy games PC is vastly superior, with Rome Total War 2 being PC only like all the other Total War titles.

Top end PCs (obviously not within the £600 budget, but more like £1500+) totally destroy consoles. They are already massively ahead and the gap will grow with new gfx cards etc.

The cutting edge of gaming is on the PC.

I would recommend Planetside 2 for anyone looking for a FPS that offers something different - very different from the usual CoD or BF games.

The gap grows as new graphics cards come out all the time but consoles don't. However too often games are written to run on consoles too so will never manage to get the best out of a computer. Better resolution if you're lucky is often the most you can hope for, at least with the shipped game. The big PC advantage IMO is being able to mod games (some are relatively easy to mod and the developers might even make tools available for doing so).

Come into the light of Vanu!

The gap grows as new graphics cards come out all the time but consoles don't. However too often games are written to run on consoles too so will never manage to get the best out of a computer. Better resolution if you're lucky is often the most you can hope for, at least with the shipped game. The big PC advantage IMO is being able to mod games (some are relatively easy to mod and the developers might even make tools available for doing so).

Agree with this. There are some great mods out there. If you are really into a game (I like the racing games) then the mods allow you to get more from it.

The problem with PCs is the faff. Most people spend all their time faffing around with the PC and not playing the games. I spend the whole day at work messing with PCs. I don't want more messing when I get back home. PS3 is no hassle, just put the disk in and press go.

I used to play some FPS games on the PC and found that far supeiror to attempting to play them on a console (mainly due to the keyboard and mouse control system). However, I've given up playing FPS type games as they started giving me motion sickness (maybe an age thing?) and they all get a bit samey after a while unless you play online; but in online matches I got fed up with spraying an alreay bloodied and beaten enemy player with an entire clip of ammo from the most powerful weapon in the game only to have them duck and weave past all the shots and then take me out with a blunt rusty spoon despite my full health and armour. I'd like to think this was down to some method of cheating but its probably just because I don't have what it takes to challenge a 12 year old who spends 10 hours a day honing their ability to humiliate me in virtual combat.

I now (occassionally) play 3rd party open world / action games (GTA V, Red Dead Redemption, the Arkham series) on an XBox 360 hooked up to the 60" TV in the living room. I have to say that these games on this set up are astonishingly good (despite the last gen hardware) and it will take something pretty awesome to get me to part with cash for a new console or gaming PC... Of course, it will come eventually (especially as developers figure out how to squeeze every ounce of performance from the new consoles) but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon yet and expect to get another 12 to 24 months out of the 360.

I have a ton of stuff still to play on the PS3. Problem is getting the time.

GTA V is an astonishing game. Really amazing if you take time to appreciate it.

Haven't bought it yet. It still seems to be selling like hot cakes. I am going to wait til it comes out on PS4, then PS3 should be cheaper.

I bought the game guide at Sainsburys for 4 quid on sale. I wanted it because I felt there is still loads of stuff in Red Dead that I haven't finished, and it would be good to have a guide to help. The GTA V guide is massive, crammed fun of stuff. There really seems to be huge amounts of different things to do in that game.