House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Fao Allotment Type People

I know there's a few green fingered on here, but enough about those with nasal issue in hay fever season!

I've a composter in the garden since the council decided they'd like to double charge for the garden waste bin (in fact I had it before the charge came in, and for the price of the collection I could buy a new composter every year!).

Now I cook a lot as some may have noticed so end up with a lot of food scrap waste, and now there is a fair amount of garden waste on top of it if I don't whack it in the black bin. I've not got round to actually using any of the compost yet, een though some of it does actually look as if has broken down sufficiently (been in around 18 months at the base).

Anyway, what I want to know is - as the composter is sitting directly on the grass with no base, does it keep on 'falling' into the soil underneath :wacko: the amount I hae put in oer the last 18 months is well in excess of the capacity of the composter, yet it keeps taking more? :huh:

Is my composter magic or can I expect to keep on using it pretty much indefinately without actually having to ever use any compost?

My V key is fkd btw unless I twit it which I did a couple of times. Here's some missing V's

vvvvvvvv

All composters are magic.

Most of the stuff you're putting in the bin will break down and be running out the other end as water, and stuff dissolved in that water.

It will fill up eventually

edit: ...possibly, if it's sitting on bare ground without a grill, with mice or rats who'll tunnel in during the winter

Yeah, I used to put my spent grain from my brewing in there and it just attracts rodents like Frenchmen to a brothel! You could see the little tunnels they made to get to the good stuff.

Now I cook a lot as some may have noticed so end up with a lot of food scrap waste

Cooked food should never go on the compost, only raw vegetable waste.

If I only put raw stuff on I'd never have any stock from the pressure cooker! I read up on this, some say no, some say yes, I say YEAH!

If I only put raw stuff on I'd never have any stock from the pressure cooker! I read up on this, some say no, some say yes, I say YEAH!

a base might be an idea then

Anyway, what I want to know is - as the composter is sitting directly on the grass with no base, does it keep on 'falling' into the soil underneath :wacko: the amount I hae put in oer the last 18 months is well in excess of the capacity of the composter, yet it keeps taking more? :huh:

I bought mine when the council introduced green waste collection. I didn't fancy a bin full of rotting waste for 14 days.

It is on 4 paving slabs.

I have had it 4 years. All veg waste goes into it raw or cooked. I have only removed a handful of compost in that time, although the bottom 1/2 is now very fine compost.

It seems to stay permanently, 2/3rd full.

It has a huge population of worms that live on the surface or buried within depending upon the air temperature.

The worms can be inches deep on the surface at times.

If only I lived near a well stocked trout lake, I'd attach a worm to a nymph and pretend I was wet fly fishing, but with much greater success :)

Just chuck it all on! Do rats really turn their nose up at stuff that's not been cooked?

You need three compost heaps really. One to add to. One to stew. One to "harvest".

When I was a boy we used to have great fun De-ratting compost heaps and manure piles. Dog, gun or clubs. Proper sport.

Trying hard to think of what cooked food is wasted.....nothing, cooked food all gets eaten everything goes on the compost except meat and fish bones the only thing that goes in the food waste bin....fat and cake crumbs the birds love, tie the fat up and hang it from a feeder, tree or shrub, they also like apples they get on the rare occasion... Tea leaves now go directly on the garden tip I got from off topic.....two bins one is maturing whilst the other one filling.....do not like to put certain weeds or roots in as I would prefer they are not spread to new places later.....I know they say compost gets v.hot and will kill weed and spreading roots but you can never be too sure.

.....I know they say compost gets v.hot and will kill weed and spreading roots but you can never be too sure.

My understanding is that the only way it gets hot enough is if you get the mix of 'browns' and 'greens', moisture and ventilation right and bacterial action really kick off. Most domestic bins run 'cold'. If they've got worms inside it's not hot enough to cook them and therefore not enough to kill off weeds and seeds.

The dalek I use for domestic waste regularly tops out but that's down to me dropping in local newspapers and the occasional torn up cardboard box

My understanding is that the only way it gets hot enough is if you get the mix of 'browns' and 'greens', moisture and ventilation right and bacterial action really kick off. Most domestic bins run 'cold'. If they've got worms inside it's not hot enough to cook them and therefore not enough to kill off weeds and seeds.

The dalek I use for domestic waste regularly tops out but that's down to me dropping in local newspapers and the occasional torn up cardboard box

Thanks, got lots of worms, you have confirmed my understanding... Three bags full of weeds to be taken down the dump.

Many modern newspapers don't break down properly. Just as they are useless as firelighters.

It's the lacquers and stuff they seem to put on them these days.

EDIT: Probably affect your sperm count too...so be careful.

I am picky.

Soy based ink in my local free rag though. So just as well I'm not planning to procreate.