House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Gove V Banker Who Do You Support?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2673897/Bank-executive-challenge-Goves-crackdown-term-time-holidays-court.html

A banking executive is going to court to protest Education Secretary Michael Gove’s ban on parents taking their children on term-time holidays, it was revealed today.

James Haymore, of Chelmsford, Essex, will claim he and his three children’s human right to a family life has been breached after he was prosecuted for taking them to the US for six days in spring term.

The JP Morgan banker, who arrived in Britain from America four years ago, took Toby, 11, Brayden, eight, and Ellie, five, to California to attend a memorial service for his wife Dana’s grandfather.

Here's a great dilemma for HPC do you back Gove or a JP Morgan Banker?

+1

Schools are really up their own arses.

It's nothing to do with the schools; it's Michael Gove's policy. It was he who ended the policy of allowing schools to give up to 10 days holiday a year for special circumstances.

Kids missing school is disruptive for the whole class.

They do group work which needs rearranging, homework is missed, lessons missed, and when they come backlit takes the teacher away from the class.

As pupil you miss loads, could be important stuff and have to catch up somehow.

However for sme families the only chance of a family holiday is out of school holidays.

I hated missing school. We went away during school time for financial reasons.

On reading the thread title I immediately pictured a gladiatorial fight to the death.

I still favour this as the means to settle the argument.

Since when did they teach anything important?

They just churn out more cannon fodder.

Teachers are just mass babysitters.

Since when did they teach anything important?

They just churn out more cannon fodder.

Teachers are just mass babysitters.

+1 I support the banker. Even evil people sometimes have a good case.

Those who say a day off school causes untold damage subscribe to what i call the production-line theory of learning. Kids just sit there as data is transmitted into their young heads. That's not how learning takes place at all, and if you come to hate school because of the petty tyrants you run the risk of learning nothing at all.

The article said the visit was to a Memorial Service...not a holiday.

1. That is okay then.

2. Yeah right, pull the other one.

3. There was a Memorial Service but they took the oppo to extend the visit as it was so expensive in the first place.

3a That is okay then

3b See what I mean, the banker is twisting words and playing with emotions, lying cheat.

In the Wail last week there was an article about a woman whose 9 year-old son was refused leave for him to attend her wedding, which she was having conducted mid-week.

So I'm sorry - I disagree. We do not live in a totalitarian state (yet) and this kind of edict should not be imposed on people.

I am with the family.....but would want to know the reason and see the proof/tickets/death certificate/holiday bill and no longer than 14 days once a year. ;)

...and while they are at it they should shorten school holidays, they are far too long....

I am with the family.....but would want to know the reason and see the proof/tickets/death certificate/holiday bill and no longer than 14 days once a year. ;)

...and while they are at it they should shorten school holidays, they are far too long....

If an employer asked you to provide a death certificate to justify time off for going to the funeral of your best friend, wouldn't that be considered unreasonable?

Schools are not supposed to be prisons.

If an employer asked you to provide a death certificate to justify time off for going to the funeral of your best friend, wouldn't that be considered unreasonable?

Schools are not supposed to be prisons.

There have been cases where a school has refused time off for children to attend the funeral of a grandparent. If the school tried that on my children I'd tell them to ****** the ****** off to the far side of ****** and then when they get there, ****** off some more.

I think the mistake some people make is to ask. You don't ask, you tell. By asking you are ceding control and authority to them.

I think they have missed an opportunity to exploit the educational value of funerals.

A cremation could be used to demonstrate exo- and endothermic reactions and oxidisation.

A burial would be a great opportunity to explain rock stratification, soil science, etc.

Kids missing school is disruptive for the whole class.

They do group work which needs rearranging, homework is missed, lessons missed, and when they come backlit takes the teacher away from the class.

As pupil you miss loads, could be important stuff and have to catch up somehow.

However for sme families the only chance of a family holiday is out of school holidays.

I hated missing school. We went away during school time for financial reasons.

I'm with Death. they aren't going to miss anything important in a week.

There have been cases where a school has refused time off for children to attend the funeral of a grandparent. If the school tried that on my children I'd tell them to ****** the ****** off to the far side of ****** and then when they get there, ****** off some more.

I think the mistake some people make is to ask. You don't ask, you tell. By asking you are ceding control and authority to them.

Really?

Yes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638064/School-bans-10-year-old-girl-going-grandfathers-funeral-AND-threaten-parents-1-000-fine-goes-anyway.html

Ridiculous state of affairs hammer to crack a nut, I can't believe kids out of school is a widespread problem and parents have to be trusted in these occasions.

How about we fine the head teacher for every child who leaves school at 16 without being able to read and write. There is no excuse for that.

Yes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638064/School-bans-10-year-old-girl-going-grandfathers-funeral-AND-threaten-parents-1-000-fine-goes-anyway.html

Ridiculous state of affairs hammer to crack a nut, I can't believe kids out of school is a widespread problem and parents have to be trusted in these occasions.

How about we fine the head teacher for every child who leaves school at 16 without being able to read and write. There is no excuse for that.

That was simply a mistake in reading the form, for which the school apologised as soon as it realised its error. The school certainly did not intentionally refuse the child permission to attend her grandfather's funeral. Honestly, I'm no big fan of Michael Gove, but this sort of shit-stirring is just silly. I'd have thought HPCers would be a little beyond taking Daily Mail headlines at face value by now!

Now how about a real example.