House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
laughing_goat

Finally A Good Letting Agent

A few weeks ago we started to receive anon notes asking us not to rev our cars in the morning. We thought it was a bit of a strange request as we obviously have to start our cars and they are running while we are scraping the ice off them, but they're not rev'd. Anyway, we both bought car covers (as a goodwill jesture - still need to de-ice though) and thought no more of it.

Anyway, a few days later we had another note (this time quite abusive) saying they were going to call the letting agency (still anon). This time we thought we had better find out who is sending these notes, as they might be blaming us for something we're not doing. I asked around a few neighbours, 3 of them said they had seen a woman 2 doors down posting notes through our house (incidentally, they didn't think we made any noise). Now this lady, is a friend of my LL and has interfered before, but that was months ago. We didn't want to speak to her so I contacted the letting agent to cover my a**e.

Anyway, the day before yesterday she contacted him, (according to the agent) she told him we were revving our cars at 6am and it would continue for an hour. He told her she was talking rubbish and that if she didn't stop 'harrassing' us, he would advise us to contact the police. The thing that gave her away as a trouble maker is that she told the Letting agent I was reving my car that morning, my car was written off two weeks ago and I am in plaster up to my knee (the agent knows this).

He also told us that our LL was aware of the situation and is going to have a word with the woman. I think she's worried we will not renew the contract and leave (she's right).

You might expect her to be an elderly woman but she isn't in her late 30's.

Let me guess, late 30s, manless and no sign of a man currently. There might have been men in the past, perhaps a succession, but they all seem to have come and gone for some reason. Whatever the reason - it was always THEIR fault. She has numerous female friends, all manless, of which one or two of them advertise on internet dating sites as 'BBWs'. She has lots of cats. :rolleyes:

A friend once posted on a BBW forum that whilst they were big, and most likely they were women, that there was a reasonable question as to whether they were indeed beautiful. I did try and warn him but to this very day he is still amazed by the sheer number of emails that he got in reply.

I suspect that you neighbours, LL and agent already know exactly what this woman is like. How do you know she is a friend of your LL? Did your LL say so or did the mad women try to give you that impression?

You must ignor her and carry on behaving normally in every way. Get rid of those car covers and run your engines for 10 minutes on a frosty morning - it's normal. Do not let her get the idea that you are accomodating her in any way, if you do she will get worse for sure.

Oh dear! It sounds like her biological clock has ticked its last toc and she is fast turning into a curtain twitching nosey busybody.

I'd glue up her front door and post a few rats through the letter box :)

but thats just me

Personally, I'd introduce her to leChuz sit back relax and watch the fireworks :)

but thats just me

Edited by shakerbaby

I'd glue up her front door and post a few rats through the letter box :)

but thats just me

hahahaha done that before to someone who was giving my elderly (RIP) Nan grief - was a mouse

we found in her cupboard - went straight into that bitches letter box! :lol:

The lady in question is married with small kids (haven't paid enough attention to know how many kids though).

As for her being a friend of the LL, I was told by another neighbour and considering my LL isn't exactly what you would call of stable mind, it's not unfeasable.

I don't know why she has decided to act in this way, the only thing I can think of is that when we first moved in she would come out of her house (keeping up appearences style) to tell us how much money her husband earns and the like, we used to have to pretend to be on the phone or in a hurry whenever we spotted her. To be frank, I think she looked down on us a bit because we are renters (the letting agent thinks this too), she did ask a few times why we hadn't bought. I told her I was in huge amounts of debt (come on, you've gotta let me have some fun).

But to be honest it's the agent and LL I'm most supprised by, in previous years this would never have happended. I would have been told to deal with it myself, for sure or I would have received a letter telling me they had received a complaint.

Admittedly my agent is a nice guy and I get on with him very well, but he is also more than aware that if we moved out he would struggle to find another tennant.

Sign of the times, I suppose.

Anyway, the day before yesterday she contacted him, (according to the agent) she told him we were revving our cars at 6am and it would continue for an hour. He told her she was talking rubbish and that if she didn't stop 'harrassing' us, he would advise us to contact the police. The thing that gave her away as a trouble maker is that she told the Letting agent I was reving my car that morning, my car was written off two weeks ago and I am in plaster up to my knee (the agent knows this).

A touching story of a tenant-sensitive agent and reasonable landlord. Without wishing to be completely cynical, may I point out that you and I exist currently in a buyer's/renter's market. I do wonder what support you might have had five years ago when landlords and their agents assumed that financial paradise was an easy touch and Machiavelli was alive and well.

Let me remind you that in the greedy house-inflation days of the mid 1990's the average agent might well have threatened you (possibly) with eviction on a whim, citing many queuing and grateful wannabe tenants who were humbling themselves to have the privilege of occupying the mediocre dwelling you and I might now be living in.

How tables turn:

Why only yesterday I had a call from such an agent: a tone of quiet desperation enquiring whether I had thought about the property I had investigated, whether I was "still interested", "don't hesitate to call if you need anything", "by the way which other agent has contacted you", "do let me know if you are still interested", "we are always here to help", etc etc. A stark contrast to a conversation I had with an EA at the height of the boom in 1988:

"This flat is going up by £1000 every two weeks. If you don't buy it now it'll be beyond your reach. There are plenty of other buyers. Take it or leave it.

It always pays to have a very long memory where property is concerned. Today's grovelling property professional is tommorow's b@st@rd, or vice versa, depending on conditions.

Do forgive the cynicism....it is born of experience. One struggles to forgive, but one never forgets!!

VacantPossession

Edited by VacantPossession

The lady in question is married with small kids (haven't paid enough attention to know how many kids though).

As for her being a friend of the LL, I was told by another neighbour and considering my LL isn't exactly what you would call of stable mind, it's not unfeasable.

I don't know why she has decided to act in this way, the only thing I can think of is that when we first moved in she would come out of her house (keeping up appearences style) to tell us how much money her husband earns and the like, we used to have to pretend to be on the phone or in a hurry whenever we spotted her.

:blink:

Her twin lives in Nevada! What are the odds?!?! ;)

I know the type!

GOOD LUCK!

A touching story of a tenant-sensitive agent and reasonable landlord. Without wishing to be completely cynical, may I point out that you and I exist currently in a buyer's/renter's market. I do wonder what support you might have had five years ago when landlords and their agents assumed that financial paradise was an easy touch and Machiavelli was alive and well.

Let me remind you that in the greedy house-inflation days of the mid 1990's the average agent might well have threatened you (possibly) with eviction on a whim, citing many queuing and grateful wannabe tenants who were humbling themselves to have the privilege of occupying the mediocre dwelling you and I might now be living in.

How tables turn:

Why only yesterday I had a call from such an agent: a tone of quiet desperation enquiring whether I had thought about the property I had investigated, whether I was "still interested", "don't hesitate to call if you need anything", "by the way which other agent has contacted you", "do let me know if you are still interested", "we are always here to help", etc etc. A stark contrast to a conversation I had with an EA at the height of the boom in 1988:

"This flat is going up by £1000 every two weeks. If you don't buy it now it'll be beyond your reach. There are plenty of other buyers. Take it or leave it.

It always pays to have a very long memory where property is concerned. Today's grovelling property professional is tommorow's b@st@rd, or vice versa, depending on conditions.

Do forgive the cynicism....it is born of experience. One struggles to forgive, but one never forgets!!

VacantPossession

That's exactly my point, prior to being with this agent, I only once had an agent who treated me as a customer. The last agency we rented from treated us terribly (no repairs until the last week of the tennancy) and used to expect to have access with less than 24hrs notice. Hence we left and it is still empty of tennants as are most of their properties.

Sometimes I think it could be in part due to being older, I'm 31 now, when I first rented I was a week from being 18. I remember the first place I rented with a few friends, the LL's washing machine leaked and the agent tried to charge us for the repair and the damage to the carpet, because they thought they could get away with it. They didn't and we left as soon as the contract was up. I don't think anyone would dare try that on now.

The agency I'm with now is small and the owner has been in the business for about 20 odd years, he knows all too well what will happen if we move out. He did do sales, but at the moment he is concentrating soley on lettings as he says tells, it's a waste of his companies money advertising. Buyers aren't buying and sellers haven't mentally adjusted to this enviroment yet.

The agency I'm with now is small and the owner has been in the business for about 20 odd years, he knows all too well what will happen if we move out. He did do sales, but at the moment he is concentrating soley on lettings as he says tells, it's a waste of his companies money advertising. Buyers aren't buying and sellers haven't mentally adjusted to this enviroment yet.

Have you got a link for the agency? I've yet to find one that cares about ongoing service.

Personally, I'd deliberately spend an hour the next day revving my engine just to wind her up.

But thats just me.

Very tempting (impossible with the leg in plaster and car in car heaven though).

I'd glue up her front door and post a few rats through the letter box

but thats just me

Now that's more like it!

To be honest the next time I see her, if she approaches me, I won't be making any excuses, I'll be polite but firm. The LL is going to have a word with her, so this idea she has that she can get us kicked out because she knows the LL should be quickly expelled.

Interestingly she asked the agent not to tell us who she was (remember the notes were anonomous), like we couldn't guess. So, she may think we don't know it's her. Hmmm

I had a whacko neighbour when we owned our last home (happily renting now :D ).

I too got accused of revving the car engine, although I never did, and then I got a punch in the face. All this was while I am trying to put my 6 month old daughter in the car seat! The idiot went for me and then went for our baby!!! This was a nice quiet cul-de-sac full of retired old dears (I am in my twenties) I didn't lay him out, although he deserved it, I just sat on him until the police came. This guy had been trying to wind me up for weeks with all kinds of stuff. I guess some psychos just zoom in on you?!

Don't take any cr*p and I hope things work out. At least you don't have to try and sell the place - Ah! The joys of renting!

I had a whacko neighbour when we owned our last home (happily renting now :D ).

I too got accused of revving the car engine, although I never did, and then I got a punch in the face. All this was while I am trying to put my 6 month old daughter in the car seat! The idiot went for me and then went for our baby!!! This was a nice quiet cul-de-sac full of retired old dears (I am in my twenties) I didn't lay him out, although he deserved it, I just sat on him until the police came. This guy had been trying to wind me up for weeks with all kinds of stuff. I guess some psychos just zoom in on you?!

Don't take any cr*p and I hope things work out. At least you don't have to try and sell the place - Ah! The joys of renting!

:blink::huh::blink::huh:

THAT

IS

SHOCKING

!

:(:(:(:(

Personally, I'd introduce her to leChuz sit back relax and watch the fireworks :)

but thats just me

Personally, I'd sheepishly crawl round to her house, politely gain access to her home through apologetic contrition, ask her to use the WC, pop upstairs and empty my bowels into her hair dryer.

but thats just me