House Price Crash Forum

Razor Blades

reddog

HOLA441

I am astonished at the flagrant wastefulness displayed by hpc-man on this thread!

I use whatever supermarket/discount double-blade disposable is cheapest. And I just rub a bar of (cheap) soap on my face and rub a bit for lather. The razors last *months* before I feel the need to ditch it for a new one.

For the avoidance of doubt, I shave at least once every day (except weekends)- and have proper man-growth not girly bum-fluff.

Maybe it's technique. I read an news article recently (can't find the link) saying that a big % of blokes do it wrong; shaving against the grain and getting into all sorts of skin problems and rashes.

It wouldn't have been sponsored by Gillette by any chance?

No doubt plenty of blokes use poor shaving technique but even if you shave properly you can still have problems. If you've got naturally curly facial hair and you shave too close the little ****ers turn around and grow back into your face.

I'll even chuck in a reference to a paper...

An Unusual Ala12Thr Polymorphism in the 1A alpha-Helical Segment of the Companion Layer-Specific Keratin K6hf: Evidence for a Risk Factor in the Etiology of the Common Hair Disorder Pseudofolliculitis Barbae

Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) is a common hair disorder characterized by a pustular foreign body inflammatory reaction that is induced by ingrown hairs of the facial and submental (barbea) regions after regular shaving. It occurs predominantly in black males, while it is rather rare and usually far less severe in Caucasian males. Black individuals have a higher propensity of developing PFB due to their genetic predisposition for curly hair which inherently possesses a much higher risk of growing back into the skin than straight or wavy hair. The PFB process is, however, not gender dependent nor restricted to the face, but can occur in any skin region once regular shaving, plucking, or other traumatic means of hair removal are instituted...

According to the paper, if you've got curly hair you're 50 times more likely to have a problem than those who don't.

PS I am not Black.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Ditched the multi-blade nonsense a few year's ago, now......luxury

If that's a Merkur Futur I toyed with buying one but then read in a couple of places that it's so mighty it's like shaving with a broadsword

Decided that I was unworthy and went for a 34C instead.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Has nobody here tried shaving oil? I switched about a year ago and wished I had known about it years ago. Much smoother and allows you to go over bits that somehow you missed the first or second time.

Caused me loads of ingrown hairs - had a terrible rash reaction to using the stuff. Works for some, not for others.

HOLA448

My setup is a cheap double edged razor, cost about £5 on Amazon. Should last indefinitely. Made by Lord which I believe is an Egyptian company.

A box of 100 double edged Derby blades is about £9 on Amazon. Each blade lasts about a fortnight, so that works out at about £2.25 a year for blades.

For soap, I use a Palmolive shave stick, which costs 50p from Tesco, this lasts six months or more, so soap is only £1 a year.

I have an expensive brush but in my experience a cheap Wilkinson Sword boar brush (about £5) from Boots etc will work well for a good few years.

BUT

If you already have paid out for cartridge blades, before you ditch them, do some research on hand-stropping. There are videos on youtube telling you how to do this. With a Gillete Mach 3 I managed to make blades last between 3 months and 2 years. Fortunately I'd kept my old blades in the plastic container, so I just went back and re-honed all my old blades. This lasted me about four years before I had to throw them away, after which I bought the Lord razor.

Also, if you don't like shaving soap you can try using Aqueous cream, this comes in a big tub for about £3 and lasts about six months, after shaving just rub it into your skin. It's also good as a post-shave moisturiser if you use soap.

HOLA449

2 interesting answers, I must admit I was expecting the suggestions to be cartridge based razors.

The idea of using a "proper" razor blade does appeal, particularly as I like obscure (but high quality) British and German manufactures, rather than main stream stuff (although to be fair, often there is a reason that mainstream became mainstream).

A few questions though:

-Can these blades really shave as close as the latest super dumper innovation from Gillette (must admit I am a little sceptical)

-Aren't you more likely to get cut?

-Why are you suggesting shaving soap? (I am pretty happy with my existing 99p Boots Sensative skin shaving gel)

I'd echo the points made already regarding DE shavers - although I would strongly recommend Feather blades (Japanese), which work well with the EJ/R89 head.

As for technique, soaps and cuts, I began using proper soap and a badger brush and a 3-pass technique but, quite frankly, life's too short (I love the idea of it, but in practice I just cannot afford such luxury of time!). I get good results (not as baby-smooth as if I had done the full routine, but certainly as good as with a Mach 3) by washing my face in hot water with a gentle soap (important for softening the bristles) and then simply using a basic shaving gel (King of Shaves). I don't have too coarse a bristle, so I can get away with using x-grain and even against the grain strokes, although this is where I pick up little nicks if I'm rushing and not taking sufficient care! I don't get any more nicks using the Feather blades (sharper) than I did with others like Derby, probably fewer in fact.

Ditch the cartridges and never look back! :)

HOLA4410

FYI, the Feather blades in the black x5 packs are exactly the same as the yellow x10 packs, but sell for much cheaper on Amazon etc. I think they are/were originally intended for the Asian market, and so people assume they are fakes or something.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes, yes. That stash of DE blades I've been building up next to my doubloons and beans will be worth even more in barter come The Day. Mwahahahaha!

I'm stackin' like there's no tomorrow, and they sure do take up less space than silver rounds and Sovs...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
He seems to shave dry and over the same spots for a lot of it. My skin would be red raw if I did that. He does put some product on to stop bumps and presumably calm redness. These are typically alpha or beta hydroxy acid mixes With alcohol. Tend skin is popular but it stinks. I use shaveworks coolfix which is ok. Loads of other products like bump patrol, Anthony logistics. I have witch hazel which I will try as the chemicals are rather strong and expensive.

HOLA4415

Beard....35 years

Number 2 my whole head in summer ,may go to number 1 on the top if it's very hot

Number 4 all over for winter for added insulation .....job done

Shaving's for ladyboys

HOLA4416

Beard....35 years

Number 2 my whole head in summer ,may go to number 1 on the top if it's very hot

Number 4 all over for winter for added insulation .....job done

Shaving's for ladyboys

Do you trim the beard round the edges or do you go for the full on ZZtop look? I ask because I'm thinking of growing a beard at least in winter, for added razor blade economy.

HOLA4417

Well I recieved my safety razor today, along with some wool fat soap and a badger brush.

I used this setup and it gave a good shave with no cuts to my face.

How much of this austerity/money saving is going on in the economy?

How many will switch back if things improve? Not Me, thats for sure.

The big companies can now wave goodbye to large chunks of profits for decades to come.

I doubt they saw this coming?

Edit to expand a bit.

HOLA4418

Well I recieved my safety razor today, along with some wool fat soap and a badger brush.

The big companies can now wave goodbye to large chunks of profits for decades to come.

Edit to expand a bit.

One of my little guiding principles is if a footballer is flogging it I'm almost certainly going to get it better/ cheaper looking elsewhere

2qbvgjr.jpg

HOLA4419

Not sure if some sort of Mens Health forum would be better to post this but here goes.

I currently use Kings of Shave Azor razor blades, but I am getting a bit annoyed with them, as they are no longer selling the blades I use in Boots any more, and also because I am not sure there blades are that great for the money.

Thinking of changing to Gillette Fusion, which I am sure will be very good, but their blades are just such a complete rip off for a piece of metal encased in plastic.

I have tried other manufacturers in the past and it is quite surprising how rubbish some of them can be (surely we should have cracked this technology by now??!!)

Anyone got any good suggestions or should I just go with Gillette (obviously I can afford Gillette, it is more of the principal that I don't like getting ripped off).

PS I don't want to use an Electric Razor

I use Tesco cheapest blue fixed head disposable twin blade razors 30p for 10 but I wet shave with Mitchells lanolin based shaving soap and a good quality badger and bristle brush. The soap is getting down to the bottom now and it has done over 2 years....................................

HOLA4420

I use Tesco cheapest blue fixed head disposable twin blade razors 30p for 10 but I wet shave with Mitchells lanolin based shaving soap and a good quality badger and bristle brush. The soap is getting down to the bottom now and it has done over 2 years....................................

Wow, 3p each. Is the shave ok? How long do you make them last?!

HOLA4421

Edit to expand a bit.

From what I can tell on Amazon product reviews, quite a lot of men have had enough of the 'arms race' of Gillette etc and have gone back to more traditional DE shaving. I doubt if Gillette particularly care; they'll find some way to get mugs to buy stuff - the DE blade was pretty much popularised by Gillette anyway and lured a generation away from cut-throat razors, so in a sense DE shavers are still marketing victims, only of the marketing of 1914 instead of 2014!

It does puzzle me though why so many men spend a fortune on gimmick blades and silly foams in a can. Foam in a can is really, really awful - the ultimate example of an inferior product being marketed as an improvement, and the public falling for it. A £5 shaving brush and a 50p stick of Palmolive shaving soap produce a far better lather than any can - and I tried many different kinds in my spendthrift days.

HOLA4422

From what I can tell on Amazon product reviews, quite a lot of men have had enough of the 'arms race' of Gillette etc and have gone back to more traditional DE shaving. I doubt if Gillette particularly care; they'll find some way to get mugs to buy stuff - the DE blade was pretty much popularised by Gillette anyway and lured a generation away from cut-throat razors, so in a sense DE shavers are still marketing victims, only of the marketing of 1914 instead of 2014!

It does puzzle me though why so many men spend a fortune on gimmick blades and silly foams in a can. Foam in a can is really, really awful - the ultimate example of an inferior product being marketed as an improvement, and the public falling for it. A £5 shaving brush and a 50p stick of Palmolive shaving soap produce a far better lather than any can - and I tried many different kinds in my spendthrift days.

I hate twatty shaving paraphenalia! Just cheap supermarket own brand disposables for me! ^_^

HOLA4423

Wow, 3p each. Is the shave ok? How long do you make them last?!

Sorry I replenished my stock today and I am afraid my price was wrong, they are 6p each. I can get a couple weeks out of one easy and longer if I want to scratch my face off but I am not trying to be too frugal. The shaving soap is very nice and lasts for ever

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sorry I replenished my stock today and I am afraid my price was wrong, they are 6p each. I can get a couple weeks out of one easy and longer if I want to scratch my face off but I am not trying to be too frugal. The shaving soap is very nice and lasts for ever

Oh no :o I was relying on the 3p shavers and the price of my facial grooming was the last bit of the jigsaw in my retirement plan. I will now have to see if work will take back my notice.

Archived