House Price Crash Forum

Do You Leave Your Tv On Standby?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Well that's alright then.

The technology must have changed significantly as leaving your TV on standby was villified as one of the worst things that you can do. Now it's so far down the list it's practically off it.

Annual energy usage while on standby:

Wireless Router (e.g. BT Hub) - £21.92

Printer (Laser) - £18.26

Set-top (Satellite) - £18.26

Amplifier - £12.18

Compact Hi-Fi - £12.18

iPad charger - £12.18

Nintendo Wii - £12.18

Set-top box (Freeview) - £7.31

Alarm Clock - £6.09

Microsoft Xbox 360 - £6.09

Modem - £6.09

Sony PlayStation 3 - £6.09

Air freshener plug-in - £4.87

CD player / Tuner - £4.87

Television (Plasma) - £4.87

Video Player - £4.87

Inkjet printer - £4.26

Desktop PC - £3.65

Nintendo DS - £3.65

Oven (Electric) - £3.65

Microwave - £3.04

Television (CRT & LCD) - £3.04

Mobile phone charger - £2.44

PC monitor (CRT) - £2.44

Electric toothbrush - £1.22

Childs night light - £0.73

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10920520/The-devices-quietly-running-up-your-energy-bills.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Strangely, my TV has a red light, to show when it's "off". When it is on, the red light goes away!

HOLA444

I am guilty of leaving my infinity router & BT home hub on all the time. They seem to be the priciest. Everything else I turn off.

I thought those had to be left on as I'm sure my home phone goes through it.

I have a clock radio but will go back to a old-fashioned alarm clock with the bells on if and when it stops working as I don't like having electrical fields in my bedroom.

Strangely, my TV has a red light, to show when it's "off". When it is on, the red light goes away!

I only watch it to get rid of that red light; I feel it watches me.

HOLA445

I have a clock radio but will go back to a old-fashioned alarm clock with the bells on if and when it stops working as I don't like having electrical fields in my bedroom.

That will make a lot of mess ripping out all the cabling and sockets from the walls!

HOLA446

Why does a plasma TV take more power on standby than a CRT or LCD? I would think the only thing 'on' is the infrared receiver so that you can wake it up from a remote - in fact, all the items on the list that are woken from an infrared remote (CD, Video player) should be taking roughly the same power.

HOLA447
HOLA448

That will make a lot of mess ripping out all the cabling and sockets from the walls!

If there's no electrical flow then there is no field, surely?

I was at some seminar about bio-friendly buildings and they said that elelctric wiring in the house is going back to individual wires coming from a central node rather than being a continuous ring because of the lower EMF fields and that this was also the way it used to be done. I think my house falls into that "used to be done" category.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

My guess is that TVs have got a lot more efficient and particularly in standby compared to CRT, even slightly older tech like Plasma. I have a 50 inch LED TV, and in use it uses less than an old style 100w lightbulb. That's pretty impressive really.

In my house everything gets switched at night except the fridge, and the BT box & router as I'm told constantly switching them off/on affects the speed of the internet connection. Shocking to see how much power they consume. Tend to charge stuff during the day as we have solar panels.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I always wondered whether there was a market for bedroom faraday cages (perhaps there is - just need to work on the aesthetics)

HOLA4413

If there's no electrical flow then there is no field, surely?

I was at some seminar about bio-friendly buildings and they said that elelctric wiring in the house is going back to individual wires coming from a central node rather than being a continuous ring because of the lower EMF fields and that this was also the way it used to be done. I think my house falls into that "used to be done" category.

For heaven's sake man, don't bother with rewiring!

What do you thionk Tin Foil is for?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I only watch it to get rid of that red light; I feel it watches me.

...and just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :)

HOLA4416

I thought magnets were therapeutic. :P

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The worst performer is £21.92 per year? Erm, I don't care.

The list must be wrong in grouping CRT and LCD TVs together? I thought CRTs were the worst of the worst for standby power consumption.

I turn the TV plug off at night and when we go out, not for power, but because the multi plug runs 5 appliances and living in a tower block fire is always on my mind a little bit.

HOLA4419

The worst performer is £21.92 per year? Erm, I don't care.

The list must be wrong in grouping CRT and LCD TVs together? I thought CRTs were the worst of the worst for standby power consumption.

Yeah I don't care about it either. The energy cartel, just like the landowners and HMRC have their hooks in me far deeper than my own dreadful waste. Maybe they could express my energy waste in terms of African Babies Dead per Hour of Energy lost.

Because I'm the problem: me in my tiny little shthouse, doing no harm to anyone. I'm the problem.

HOLA4420

Yeah I don't care about it either. The energy cartel, just like the landowners and HMRC have their hooks in me far deeper than my own dreadful waste. Maybe they could express my energy waste in terms of African Babies Dead per Hour of Energy lost.

Because I'm the problem: me in my tiny little shthouse, doing no harm to anyone. I'm the problem.

The article didn't read like a nannyish telling off to me. I thought it was interesting.

For instance I make a point of unplugging my TV but I don't bother with my printer, it turns out I have that the wrong way round.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The article didn't read like a nannyish telling off to me. I thought it was interesting.

For instance I make a point of unplugging my TV but I don't bother with my printer, it turns out I have that the wrong way round.

Yes, was not suggesting it was nanyish nor trying to belittle you as OP.

Just saying that these savings are very minor in comparison to unavoidable costs.

My sardonism was aimed more at the usual guilt trip nudging "they" try on.

The differing power usages of shiny stuff is interesting. I meant no offence.

HOLA4423

Yes, was not suggesting it was nanyish nor trying to belittle you as OP.

Just saying that these savings are very minor in comparison to unavoidable costs.

My sardonism was aimed more at the usual guilt trip nudging "they" try on.

The differing power usages of shiny stuff is interesting. I meant no offence.

Good, yes get your point.

As someone posted on a money saving thread why get excited about saving twenty quid when your rent is two hundred a week.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Can you explain why? Surely if everything is off at the mains then it's just wires.

I don't know what you mean - if you mean switching circuits off at the consumer unit then you are correct there will be no EMF from there onwards

If you mean circuits are still switched on it, does not matter if anything is plugged in there is still EMF. It's AC so 'flowing' 50 times a second.

Archived