House Price Crash Forum

Just moved back to Somerset after two years in Galway working in IT - feel free to ask me anything.

I am not in a position to move for the next 2 years but just looking at options, but will just ask one question if I may.

What made you move back to the Uk?

Just moved back to Somerset after two years in Galway working in IT - feel free to ask me anything.

Hope I can ask. :) What are property taxes like? Are there any hidden costs that you don't get over here?

Hope I can ask. :) What are property taxes like? Are there any hidden costs that you don't get over here?

the poperty tax has just been brought in, so have water rates/meters. Until about 18 months ago there were none of these taxes, so the Irsish natives are quite peaved about these costs.

Note: Property tax is not paid by tenants.

Hidden costs include bin tax, €50 for visiting the GP (coming to the UK soon), School 'books' and other small monopolized things.

Grocery shopping is on average 20% more for your tinned, packets and pound shop items. This is due to most imported items are shipped from the UK, then you have a lower economy of scale or 'efficiency' due to fewer people living in the country.

Fuel tax is less.

Most car tax is more unless you have an eco car.

All in all, I think it evens out quite well. The reasons we moved back is the wife wanted to be close to family and friends as she misses them and the family support will be very useful when we start a family next year. And we both lost our jobs late last year - I was laid off from a multinational and her contract wast extended.

I was offered a job at Intel in Shannon, but I just couldn't see a 'happy' future for us away from our families being so far away - so I took a job back here.

We learned that we valued our family and friends more than a big house. We could afford to outright buy a 3br Victorian terrace with no parking here or a good 4/5 bedroom detached house in Ireland with 1'2 acre garden.

It's really a matter of figuring out what you value more - a tiny house or your friends and family near by.

For me my family is small and since i'm a computer geek I don't have many face-to-face friends so it's easy for me, but for the wife it's a different story and I couldn't live without her. If I was single I wouldn;t think twice about moving back to Ireland because their is a greater sense of community, there are loads of nice young women, teh buiness is good and I love the low density countryside.

Really glad we lived there for a while otherwise it would be gnawing away at me for the rest of my life.

I've just had a look on daft.ie

These cheap properties all seem to be out in the country. There seems to be a massive difference between these and the prices in Galway city where a smallish terrace seems to cost €200,000 and a semi costs €250,000.

Where did you live, Wurzel - town or country?

I've just had a look on daft.ie

These cheap properties all seem to be out in the country. There seems to be a massive difference between these and the prices in Galway city where a smallish terrace seems to cost €200,000 and a semi costs €250,000.

Where did you live, Wurzel - town or country?

I was living just outside Moycullen in the countryside. It's a lovely place, IMO much nicer that 99% of the UK. I was working at Dangan Business park, which was ablut a 10 mile commute on my 125cc motorbike.

45% tax on unearned income:

Savings interest to be hit with tax rate of 45% after PRSI levy and DIRT hike

By Vincent Ryan
Thursday, October 17, 2013
The effective tax rate on interest earned on savings will be as high as 45% as both the new higher rate of Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) tax and the PRSI levy on unearned income will both come into force on Jan 1.
Finance Minister Michael Noonan announced in the budget that the DIRT rate would be increased to as high as 41%.
However, it has emerged that a second tax will operate in conjunction with the DIRT tax and will be also be applied to unearned income such as earnings from rents, dividends and deposit interest.
The PRSI levy of 4% was announced in last year’s budget and will apply to all unearned income for those under the age of 66.
"In Budget 2013 it was announced that from Jan 1, 2014, the exemption from PRSI applying to employed contributors and occupational pensioners aged under 66 years whose only additional income is unearned income, will be abolished. This means that unearned income such as rental income, investment income, dividends and interest on deposits and savings will be liable to PRSI," a spokesperson for the department said.
Despite the new levy being paid into the social insurance fund, there will be no benefits to those who pay the tax.
"The new PRSI charge will be at 4%. It will not give rise to any social insurance entitlements," the spokesperson said.

the poperty tax has just been brought in, so have water rates/meters. Until about 18 months ago there were none of these taxes, so the Irsish natives are quite peaved about these costs.

Note: Property tax is not paid by tenants.

Hidden costs include bin tax, 50 for visiting the GP (coming to the UK soon), School 'books' and other small monopolized things.

Grocery shopping is on average 20% more for your tinned, packets and pound shop items. This is due to most imported items are shipped from the UK, then you have a lower economy of scale or 'efficiency' due to fewer people living in the country.

Fuel tax is less.

Most car tax is more unless you have an eco car.

All in all, I think it evens out quite well. The reasons we moved back is the wife wanted to be close to family and friends as she misses them and the family support will be very useful when we start a family next year. And we both lost our jobs late last year - I was laid off from a multinational and her contract wast extended.

I was offered a job at Intel in Shannon, but I just couldn't see a 'happy' future for us away from our families being so far away - so I took a job back here.

We learned that we valued our family and friends more than a big house. We could afford to outright buy a 3br Victorian terrace with no parking here or a good 4/5 bedroom detached house in Ireland with 1'2 acre garden.

It's really a matter of figuring out what you value more - a tiny house or your friends and family near by.

For me my family is small and since i'm a computer geek I don't have many face-to-face friends so it's easy for me, but for the wife it's a different story and I couldn't live without her. If I was single I wouldn;t think twice about moving back to Ireland because their is a greater sense of community, there are loads of nice young women, teh buiness is good and I love the low density countryside.

Really glad we lived there for a while otherwise it would be gnawing away at me for the rest of my life.

Wales not good middle ground? I'm in a very similar position, not far from you, same industry, same push/pull near or far.

I was looking at some good property last night, only an hour or twos drive away. Although I do have to show my face at work in Berkshire once a month and it's already over an hours drive, I'd be leaving very early to arrive for 8.

snip

Thank you, very informative. I just wish I had the balls to up and leave. I'm sure I'd miss this shitehole if I left.

I live/work in the area, ask me anything

re: property tax, its relatively low and it was just brought in, so far 100 to 400 eur per year for average priced home I say

water tax is coming in at about 260eur per year

cost of living is relatively cheap (groceries etc)

There is a huge difference between the city and county in asking prices, but bargains are to found, I live in the county (funnily enough faster to drive ~18 miles into city from the county than drive across city from westside due to terrible traffic) bought at start of crash 5+ years ago (4 bed bungalow, huge garden) soon will be buying a 3bed/2bath apartment in city to let (no debt for either) which is now asking for €85K down 70% from €290K few years ago (yes a real houseprice crash here)

45% tax on unearned income:

Yes personal income and saving/investment taxes are high (grumble grumble grumble :( ), for low tax go to USA :) neither do we have an NHS to show for our taxes

But it is definitely a nice place to raise kids if you are a parent.

Edited by yelims