House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Bbc2 Hot Property,business Boomers

Some program on bbc2 now about business that have done well "despite tough economic tides".

I can't bring myself to watch it.

Will they mention the only reason the house builders are doing well is due to the massive government hand out that came from money printing that made us all considerably poorer.

Im guessing its telling people how well the housing market is doing how much of a good deal a new build is and how helpful our government is helping people to buy there bargain houses. I suspect its shameless vi pro house price increasing propaganda. I would love to be proved wrong, but as i saw, can't bring myself to watch it.

I am really considering turning the tv off and cancelling my tv license.

I'm watching it, its bland and crap. Little bit about bonkers planning. Generally an advert for Barratt and Permsimon et al

Some program on bbc2 now about business that have done well "despite tough economic tides".

I can't bring myself to watch it.

Will they mention the only reason the house builders are doing well is due to the massive government hand out that came from money printing that made us all considerably poorer.

Im guessing its telling people how well the housing market is doing how much of a good deal a new build is and how helpful our government is helping people to buy there bargain houses. I suspect its shameless vi pro house price increasing propaganda. I would love to be proved wrong, but as i saw, can't bring myself to watch it.

I am really considering turning the tv off and cancelling my tv license.

Just cancel the license and keep it on ? Stick it right back up them :)

I thought it was an interesting program, essentially confirming that housebuilders don't build unless they need to replace stock of recently made sales, and they are now experts at keeping their inventories low. Also that the top-end of the market is unaffected by the economic downturn so they prefer to target that market.

Also, an interesting bit about John Prescott wanting housebuilders to build affordable properties (£60k) on government owned land (with the land to remain government owned). Apparently Taylor Wimpey bought the land instead and included the cost of land in the £300k price. Nobody mentions why that government-owned-land scheme did not go ahead, that is just glossed-over.

They also mentioned that during the building boom of the 1930s land prices were essentially zero and planning permission wasn't required, and it was smaller independent companies doing much of the building.