House Price Crash Forum
silver surfer

Uk Population Growth

I was looking a figures today population growing at 1114 a day

baby's being born 1890 a day

1562 people die each day.

Well that's what google comes up with any way.

http://

www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/population

According to the above link the UK's population grew by about 700,000 the year before last and by about 500,000 the year before that.

If the 400,000 figure mentioned by the BBC is accurate for last year then the UK's average population growth is about 533,000 per year over the last three years.

However if the above link's UK population figure for 2013 of 63.256 million is correct for 2013 then the UK's population increased by about 900,000 last year (more than twice the BBC's figure) if the BBC's figure of 64.1 million is correct for 2014.

900,000 would be a continuation of the increasingly exponential trend shown in the above link's chart - and it's worth repeating that it's more than twice the BBC's figure of 400,000.

Edited by billybong

Not sure why but that site seems to be out of whack with Eurostat, which is where they say they take their figures from. Eurostat already has the total UK population hitting 63,896,071 in 2013 but also had it higher in 2012, 2011, 2010, etc with circa 400k rises each year being the normal trend for the last decade (but then, even when we've been treading economic water we've been "booming"): http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do?tab=table&language=en&pcode=tps00001&tableSelection=1&footnotes=yes&labeling=labels&plugin=1

Yup, how many homes were built? 100k?

Inhumane.

113,980 in the first three quaters of 2013, so maybe somewhere in the region of 145k over all (table 211: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-house-building )? Given co-habitation of couples and children/parents that doesn't seem like an immediate disaster, although in terms of volume it would clearly be better if we got back to pre-credit crunch levels of 200k+ annually (assuming population growth continues at the same rate - I'm not convinced the economy is going to hold up much longer and that clearly would have an impact on net migration). The quality of the housing that is actually getting built is pretty inhumane though...

Not sure why but that site seems to be out of whack with Eurostat, which is where they say they take their figures from. Eurostat already has the total UK population hitting 63,896,071 in 2013 but also had it higher in 2012, 2011, 2010, etc with circa 400k rises each year being the normal trend for the last decade (but then, even when we've been treading economic water we've been "booming"): http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do?tab=table&language=en&pcode=tps00001&tableSelection=1&footnotes=yes&labeling=labels&plugin=1

113,980 in the first three quaters of 2013, so maybe somewhere in the region of 145k over all (table 211: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-house-building )? Given co-habitation of couples and children/parents that doesn't seem like an immediate disaster, although in terms of volume it would clearly be better if we got back to pre-credit crunch levels of 200k+ annually (assuming population growth continues at the same rate - I'm not convinced the economy is going to hold up much longer and that clearly would have an impact on net migration). The quality of the housing that is actually getting built is pretty inhumane though...

The stats are plainly, obviously, materially broken on immigration. I would work off the usage stats from the major supermarkets. UK population seen as already 75-80MM.

Everyone I know who worked/works in UK immigration (now called border force alpha or some ******) says the official immigration stats lose up to 50% of people who come into the UK to stay. Note, if the government wanted to really work out the true numbers, a random sweep of random streets in london/manchester/oldham with full ID of all people living in that street would give an idea. I wonder why they don't want true data?

Edited by wherebee

One thing that twists the stats is that a lot of the immigrants are young. Where a lot of Brits are retiring to Spain. If I retired to spain and dies in the first year My death wouldn't be recorded as a death on the British stats. The immigrant that moves to Britain maybe in his 20's. If we all retired to Spain the number of deaths in Britain could be zero. and even though the number of immigrants = the number of people emigrating Britain could have an expanding population.

The stats are plainly, obviously, materially broken on immigration. I would work off the usage stats from the major supermarkets. UK population seen as already 75-80MM.

Everyone I know who worked/works in UK immigration (now called border force alpha or some ******) says the official immigration stats lose up to 50% of people who come into the UK to stay. Note, if the government wanted to really work out the true numbers, a random sweep of random streets in london/manchester/oldham with full ID of all people living in that street would give an idea. I wonder why they don't want true data?

Don't underestimate our growing obesity epidemic :D

I agree the stats on immigration are broken given we don't actually measure who leaves once their visas expire we just assume they do. Interesting anecdotal from your friends in the border force, given about 50% of the recorded population increases are apparently due to internal growth so on net immigration stats alone that would be up to an extra 100k so somewhere circa 500k all in? Lower if they're only referring to non-EU immigration or higher if they meant up to 50% on the gross stats, but there should be some give and take in there with the net figures given British emigrants also overstay their visas elsewhere (quite a large expat population doing this in SE Asia for instance)...