House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GloomMonger

Half Want House Prices To Fall - Poll Reveals

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/half-want-house-prices-to-fall-poll-reveals-major-shift-in-london-housing-market-9564811.html

Half of Londoners want house prices to fall, an exclusive poll for the Standard reveals today.

The startling find marks a historic about-turn in views on the soaring property market, say experts.

With the cost of buying a home rocketing out of the reach of ever more Londoners, almost a third of adults in the capital want property prices to go down “a lot”. A further 18 per cent favour them decreasing “a little”, the YouGov poll found, while just one in six people hopes prices carry on rising. The findings came as the Bank of England unveiled new measures to prevent an explosion of potentially dangerous mortgage debt that could stoke prices even higher.

Interesting change in sentiment. Will the government listen though?

They still voted LIBLABCON.

I am NOT saying UKIP would do anything differently but it would show true animosity to the big 3 policy

Edited by Killer Bunny

Half of Londoners? Hmmm. Interesting.

In my day, I just fled London when it was clear I couldn't afford to live there. Those who remain are self-selecting as those who won't leave. Or a few folks who naively moved there and have yet to leave.

I don't think it's really a huge change in sentiment. Previous polls on house prices have usually indicated that only about 20% or less of the population actively want prices to rise. The idea that HPI is a hugely popular votewinner just doesn't have any real factual basis IMHO.

The value of house prices has little to do with what people want, more to do with trying to keep all plates spinning at once. ;)

I don't think it's really a huge change in sentiment. Previous polls on house prices have usually indicated that only about 20% or less of the population actively want prices to rise. The idea that HPI is a hugely popular votewinner just doesn't have any real factual basis IMHO.

Yes, but it's the first time I've seen it as a huge splashy front page headline in a widely read paper (at least in London where the biggest HP problem lies.)

We could do with more splashy headlines like this. Such things do help to swell the tide of sentiment, I am sure.

Published: 23 November 2012
Fewer than half of London families own the roof over their heads for the first time in 30 years.
“Generation rent” is now in the majority after soaring prices, a mortgage famine and a disastrous housebuilding slump shattered the home-buying dreams of tens of thousands of Londoners.
Latest government figures show that just 1.656 million, or 49.9 per cent, of the capital’s 3.318 million homes are occupied by the people who own them.
The rest are rented out by private landlords, councils or housing associations.
It is the lowest figure since regional statistics were first compiled in 1991 but almost certainly a record since the early Eighties.

We need some more supply for landlords to keep buying.

Yes, but it's the first time I've seen it as a huge splashy front page headline in a widely read paper (at least in London where the biggest HP problem lies.)

We could do with more splashy headlines like this. Such things do help to swell the tide of sentiment, I am sure.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I think the likes of George Osborne do genuinely believe that HPI is popular with voters. It does no harm for a publication like this to spell out the fact that it isn't particularly popular at all. Edited by Neil D Possitt