House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ologhai Jones

Three Pay As You Go Vs O2 Monthly

I'm currently considering (and tending towards going for it) changing from an pay-monthly O2 tariff to a Three PAYG thing.

My current O2 contract is nearing its end, and O2 have offered me 100 free mins per month (but with unlimited calls to landline numbers and unlimited calls to mobiles at the weekend) for £6 per month.

In recent times (the last year or two), my mobile phone use averages about 75 mins per month.

Three's PAYG thing is 3p per minute for all calls (so that's £2.25 for my average level of use), 2p per text (another 50p for my average level of use), and 1p per MB for data (plus a free 150MB of data for each top-up--minimum top-up of £10 I think).

Any downsides of Three or of PAYG that I don't know or haven't thought of?

It all comes down to data IMO

If you don't use much then go PAYG as those prices have really plummetted.

If you use a lot then go for a pay monthly that gives you a lot.

It sounds to me that you don't use much data so PAYG is the way to, um, go.

I have payg and it's fine (02)

Even get little rewards for topping up etc..

You can also top up with bolt ones for extra roaming etc..

You can get great phones for about £100. Unless you use your phone a huge amount - I don't see the point if getting some 24 month contract.

When getting a new phone recently in the o2 shop - I got the standard trying to move you from payg to contract chat. The sales pitch was mainly explaining how great value it was and would only be £25 or so a month. Didn't really work when I pointed out my payg only costs me about £15 just now !

I have payg and it's fine (02)

Even get little rewards for topping up etc..

You can also top up with bolt ones for extra roaming etc..

You can get great phones for about £100. Unless you use your phone a huge amount - I don't see the point if getting some 24 month contract.

When getting a new phone recently in the o2 shop - I got the standard trying to move you from payg to contract chat. The sales pitch was mainly explaining how great value it was and would only be £25 or so a month. Didn't really work when I pointed out my payg only costs me about £15 just now !

I pay £10 on Tesco (O2) and get a free smart phone every two years. So if you say £100 for a phone that's £140 for 24 months or about £6 a month.

The downside is data is very limited so I leave mine off nearly all the time and just use wi-fi.

That an interest point actually.

O2 'gave' me a 3G phone a couple of years ago which is what has permitted the Three PAYG option to be available to me now--I think I'm right in saying that Three SIMs require 3G, right?

This does mean that, at some future point if I need a replacement phone, I'd need to pay for it myself.

Does anyone with a good feeling for the mobile phone market know what I could expect to pay for the cheapest 3G 'smart' phone at this point? If I'm only saving, say, £3 per month but come to need a new phone in another couple of years, say, then it'd better not cost more than seventy-odd quid, or I'll be out of pocket.

One downside of Three is that thanks to the frequency set used, it doesn't penetrate buildings as well as the others.

e.g. here we can get a signal upstairs but not downstairs. That's why we have O2. But then the O2 service here is pants because the transmitter is even further away.

I tried a 3 SIM in my phone for a few weeks, and didn't think very much of the coverage - "no signal" wasn't as rare as I'd have hoped.

Unless you've had Three before and know it works where you want it to, do check the coverage map. But then on PAYG there's little to lose.

On the other hand, assuming a good signal, it performs very well for mobile broadband.

That an interest point actually.

O2 'gave' me a 3G phone a couple of years ago which is what has permitted the Three PAYG option to be available to me now--I think I'm right in saying that Three SIMs require 3G, right?

This does mean that, at some future point if I need a replacement phone, I'd need to pay for it myself.

Does anyone with a good feeling for the mobile phone market know what I could expect to pay for the cheapest 3G 'smart' phone at this point? If I'm only saving, say, £3 per month but come to need a new phone in another couple of years, say, then it'd better not cost more than seventy-odd quid, or I'll be out of pocket.

Maybe £60 or so ? £100 for a good one - and then whatever more you want to pay for a fancy one.

Giffgaff - check out their fiver a month deal.

It looks as if £5 per month for Giffgaff would give me 60 minutes (which my average use would tend to exceed), 300 texts (which is about twelve times the number I need) and 20MB. Assuming Giffgaff's 60 minutes were enough, that would cost me £1.80 per month with Three PAYG.

Why do you think Giffgaff might be right for me and not Three?

I avoided that chat this time by buying online. I got a similar sales pitch which worked out I would be paying more on contract to get a "free" phone and be tied in for 2 years. I'd rather be flexible and be able to change my phone at will.

One downside of Three is that thanks to the frequency set used, it doesn't penetrate buildings as well as the others.

e.g. here we can get a signal upstairs but not downstairs. That's why we have O2. But then the O2 service here is pants because the transmitter is even further away.

I tried a 3 SIM in my phone for a few weeks, and didn't think very much of the coverage - "no signal" wasn't as rare as I'd have hoped.

From the little I've read, Three have their own 3G network (with something like 93% coverage), but they use Orange's 2G network (with 99% coverage). So, if I happen to be in an area for which the 3G coverage isn't up to it, won't the phone just switch to using the Orange 2G?

I appreciate that this isn't so great for web surfing, but it should be fine for calls, shouldn't it?

Is there a flaw in my thinking here?

In fact, if I were generally to use Three for calls and texts, I could tell my phone to use 2G only--in which case, wouldn't it be indistinguishable from having an old Orange phone?

This is all due for a bit of a shake-up as the government is trying to persuade mobile operators to share frequency sets and infrastructure just after having extracted millions of pounds in a "fresh air" auction from those same operators bidding for competitive advantage over each other. The mind boggles.

I'm not so up to date on Three, but I think you are correct.

I avoided that chat this time by buying online. I got a similar sales pitch which worked out I would be paying more on contract to get a "free" phone and be tied in for 2 years. I'd rather be flexible and be able to change my phone at will.

Pretty much my thinking.

I just bought my first contract phone from Tesco.

I wanted a decent Android smartphone, so I took out a 24 month contract at £12.50 per month to get a Motorola G. the handset would have cost me £100 normally and I tend to spend about £6 per month without any data on my old phone.

All in all this has worked out well for me as I now get data 750mb, calls and texts for £12.50. If you have two contracts with Tesco as in our case then you can choose a free extra, in our case it was 250mb to bolt on to the standard 500mb of data.

I highly recommend the Motorola G is your're looking for a good budget smart phone.