House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oliver Sutton

Do Forums Attract Negative People?

I wouldn't include this forum (well at least not the off-topic).

e.g I frequent some football forums and although they are a great resource for information the good posters tend to get crowded out by whingers.

Are they disproportionately represented or a true reflection of people in general?

Are successful people more positive and tend to be busier with fulfilling jobs and lives and have less time to post?

Be interested in peoples' experience on other forums.

....no I disagree...I have learned a lot on this forum on the main forum since and before 2007....and the general view was always ahead of the mainstream press and public.... the debate is mainly always healthy...and can become quite heated...but that's life .... :rolleyes:

Anyone that says I have a negative attitude towards forumming is going to get their fkin head kicked in!

Anyone that says I have a negative attitude towards forumming is going to get their fkin head kicked in!

Better than being bitten, I suppose.

I was thinking just yesterday that it took several years to bat away the idea that just because interest is charged on loans that there weren't suddenly more liabilities than there was money and therefore the system was doomed to failure (because of this). Can't remember the last time that tomfoolery was brought up.

i.e. The forum can be just as much a channel for misinformation as it is for information if it goes unchallenged.

there are so many double negatives in that paragraph my head hurts.

I don't know about other forums but I am very negative. And I'm not successful nor busy. So it must be true.

PMSL

People like to moan about things to other people. I know I'm guilty of this sometimes.

If you want to see "negative" forums at their finest, you could look at BT or EE's "help" forums which are nothing of the sort because they're not really supervised or attended and just left to run amok with complaints with the customers discussing among themselves how crap the provider is. On the provider's own website.

One thing to remember, if you go into a pub and there's someone a bit odd sitting in the corner with no-one near them, there may be a reason for that.

In a forum, you sit next to everyone, and you can't get away.

Muh wah hah hah har.

I have you now.

Why so negative about negative people? It's the positive ones who allow all the crap to continue.

I think you should be more positive about people being negative about negative people.

Or do I mean negative ?

Edit actually what annoys me more (not in this forum, where irrelevancy is a badge of honour) is people being negative with no sensible backing behind why they are being negative. These people are as annoying as rampers in their own way.

There's a few that pop up on the main forum. The MO is post something negative (without quantification). Then put in some sort of crap analogy like "the country is like being on the titantic sailing towards the iceberg" or "the bank of england is like a diseased rat desperately sucking in its last breath".

To me this is as annoying as stuff like "house prices only go up" and "you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar".

I wouldn't include this forum (well at least not the off-topic).

e.g I frequent some football forums and although they are a great resource for information the good posters tend to get crowded out by whingers.

Are they disproportionately represented or a true reflection of people in general?

Are successful people more positive and tend to be busier with fulfilling jobs and lives and have less time to post?

Be interested in peoples' experience on other forums.

I reckon most people are so filtered in what they say and do that online forums act as an outlet.

I read somewhere recently that 50% of police resources are assigned to dealing with social media. Being a positive person I see this as an improvement to the days when the murder rate was 1 in 100 per annum.... or whatever.

Calling someone a thick cnt online is massively preferable to brutally stabbing your boss/landlord/localMP/justsomeguy to death.

Online forums are a precursor to future robots that are so lifelike as to be rewarding when you murder them, yet feel no pain. That will represent Utopia.

Calling someone a thick cnt online is massively preferable to brutally stabbing your boss/landlord/localMP/justsomeguy to death.

Possibly, but I'm not so sure (that they do, not that it's not preferable!) Quite often the things that get me angry and depressed (pretty much my default state of mind when I'm not drunk or asleep) occur due to clashes with people online, so I'd probably be happier without forums.

Possibly, but I'm not so sure (that they do, not that it's not preferable!) Quite often the things that get me angry and depressed (pretty much my default state of mind when I'm not drunk or asleep) occur due to clashes with people online, so I'd probably be happier without forums.

You have kind of just written yourself your own blueprint of happiness.

Is realism negative?

Exactly, why is negative always seen as bad and positive always good.?

I think we should welcome all points of view to get the real answer.

Maybe the country would be in a better position if we didn't always put down the negative thinkers.

I am sure no negative outcomes were even allowed to be considered at the board meetings of the main banks up to the point where it was staring them in the face. Any 'negative' or 'realistic' forecasters were probably given a swift demotion.

The 'positive' forecasters were rewarded for being hopelessly positive.

I think we should welcome all points of view to get the real answer.

Maybe the country would be in a better position if we didn't always put down the negative thinkers.

I am sure no negative outcomes were even allowed to be considered at the board meetings of the main banks up to the point where it was staring them in the face. Any 'negative' or 'realistic' forecasters were probably given a swift demotion.

The 'positive' forecasters were rewarded for being hopelessly positive.

An astute analysis, but one we all come to eventually.

Of course it explains why this place is bad taken in isolation, because IMO overly negative and expresses only one viewpoint. You need a mixture of positive and negative viewpoints, with well thought out arguments to get a sensible picture. But here many positive viewpoints get shouted down. Birds of a feather do flock together, so it is hard to change this. However if you visit housepriceramp and housepricecrash together then maybe you will get a clearer picture of whats really going on in the world.

/snip

I blame this character...

213fbyx.jpg

Barbara Ehrenreich: The Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America

When Barbara Ehrenreich went to be treated for breast cancer, she was exhorted to think positively; and when she expressed feelings of fear and anger, she was chided for being negative.
Ehrenreich, the author of 16 books, including Nickel and Dimed and Bait and Switch, which examine the blue- and white-collar job markets, took on what she sees as an epidemic of positive thinking in her new book: Bright-Sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America.
Positive thinking is different, she says, from being cheerful or good-natured -- it's believing that the world is shaped by our wants and desires and that by focusing on the good, the bad ceases to exist.
Ehrenreich believes this has permeated our culture and that the refusal to acknowledge that bad things could happen is in some way responsible for the current financial crisis.
In her new book, Ehrenreich examines how the positive-thinking movement was started by Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, and an amateur metaphysician named Phineas Parkhurst Quimby in response to Calvinism; how being positive became mandatory in corporate culture; and how she thinks prosperity preachers, such as Joel Osteen of Lakewood Church in Houston encouraged a culture of debt by telling their congregations that God wants them to have a big house and a nice car...

There's a difference impo between baseless positivity, bordering on fantasy, which I don't warm to and a pragmatic 'can do' attitude which is arguably the reason why most of us don't still live in caves. I'm not sure that I can fully articulate the difference but it's usually easy enough to distinguish when you encounter it in the flesh.

Boss: What do you think of this idea XYY...?

Me: It's shite.

Boss: I don't want to hear negative stuff like that.

Me: OK, I'm positive it's shite...!

I got quite a few tedious tasks as a punishment for that one, but the look on his face was worth every single one of them...

:)

XYY