High Street Sales Much Worse Than Predicted

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

As an aside Land Securities have a aquired a 30% stake in Bluewater shopping centre and surrounding land for close to 700mn cash consideration. Current listed void rate is 5.3%. This increases exposure to SE but reported that they see strong rental growth as economy recovers. Initial net yield after expiry of rent free periods is listed as 4.1%. Info from Telegraph articles.

HOLA448
HOLA449

My partner and I are now spending virtually zero of my wages, and living off of hers only. Last month didn't go too well so mine had to subsidise hers but this month we'll be cutting spending further. All just to try and keep up with HPI. I suspect we are not alone.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

This is *actually* what a lot of people think.

Frightening isn't it. The forum member seriously asking me whether house prices go up forever probably thinks it (no offence).

We need to pay our footballers more, then they will spend more into the economy and the wealth will trickle down to us all.

We also need things to break more so the economy can grow through the need to replace them.

HOLA4413

The credit impulse from FLS/HtB appears to have fully worked its way through the economy. A much weaker H2 2014 GDP print looks inevitable. There's much less reason to expect a rate rise before the GE. The UK is in serious trouble.

HOLA4414

My partner and I are now spending virtually zero of my wages, and living off of hers only. Last month didn't go too well so mine had to subsidise hers but this month we'll be cutting spending further. All just to try and keep up with HPI. I suspect we are not alone.

That'll be the fabled HPI 'wealth effect' in action there. Unexpected, of course.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

One more anecdote - at the company I work for, an on-line retailer, we have seen sales volumes increase but the margins are disappearing. The only way we've managed to stay above water over the last year is through expansion into Europe.

HOLA4419

The upmarket online travel agency I am currently working for has seen negative growth this year for the first time in 10 years. he again it could be my presence :)

he number of conversions are down, so is general search traffic for luxury hotels. The website is ranking as well as it always did though.

Google trends can reveal a lot, often laughed at around these parts, but it does tell a truer story than you will get from most 'statistics'.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Easy to fix....increase the population, everyone needs to eat and wear clothing.....why, we all require a roof over our heads, housing is a necessity and expensive....more people = greater growth. ;)

That's the way NuLiebour did it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

You're not alone. If there's one thing rampant HPI has taught me, it's how to save and not spend in the high street. Or rather how to spend in a different way.

I never shop retail for clothes, shoes etc and everything is Ebay or discounted online. So ironically my gear is way better than I had before for about 20% of the retail price. So if you're not spending a significant % of your wages into servicing a fat mortgage debt, you're saving it all instead to keep up with HPI - what a brilliant non-boost to the economy.

HOLA4425

Easy to fix....increase the population, everyone needs to eat and wear clothing.....why, we all require a roof over our heads, housing is a necessity and expensive....more people = greater growth. ;)

That works up to the point the county becomes a hell hole, the social security system collapses and people leave in droves.

Nothing lasts forever.