House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

High Street Sales Much Worse Than Predicted

It must be the recovery.

It's time to introduce some imputed sales of food and imputed sales of clothing figures on herds of sheep and cattle etc - if they haven't already done so.

Edited by billybong

As an aside Land Securities have a aquired a 30% stake in Bluewater shopping centre and surrounding land for close to 700mn cash consideration. Current listed void rate is 5.3%. This increases exposure to SE but reported that they see strong rental growth as economy recovers. Initial net yield after expiry of rent free periods is listed as 4.1%. Info from Telegraph articles.

Perhaps if houses weren't so expensive, I would be more willing to spend more of my money. Clearly none of TPTB have considered that others may be having similar thoughts.

My partner and I are now spending virtually zero of my wages, and living off of hers only. Last month didn't go too well so mine had to subsidise hers but this month we'll be cutting spending further. All just to try and keep up with HPI. I suspect we are not alone.

Clearly we need house prices to go up by another 10% or 20% to get people spending on the high streets. If we can get more expensive houses we'll have equity we can spend on the high street. Simples!

Clearly we need house prices to go up by another 10% or 20% to get people spending on the high streets. If we can get more expensive houses we'll have equity we can spend on the high street. Simples!

This is *actually* what a lot of people think.

This is *actually* what a lot of people think.

Frightening isn't it. The forum member seriously asking me whether house prices go up forever probably thinks it (no offence).

We need to pay our footballers more, then they will spend more into the economy and the wealth will trickle down to us all.

We also need things to break more so the economy can grow through the need to replace them.

The credit impulse from FLS/HtB appears to have fully worked its way through the economy. A much weaker H2 2014 GDP print looks inevitable. There's much less reason to expect a rate rise before the GE. The UK is in serious trouble.

My partner and I are now spending virtually zero of my wages, and living off of hers only. Last month didn't go too well so mine had to subsidise hers but this month we'll be cutting spending further. All just to try and keep up with HPI. I suspect we are not alone.

That'll be the fabled HPI 'wealth effect' in action there. Unexpected, of course.

One more anecdote - at the company I work for, an on-line retailer, we have seen sales volumes increase but the margins are disappearing. The only way we've managed to stay above water over the last year is through expansion into Europe.

The upmarket online travel agency I am currently working for has seen negative growth this year for the first time in 10 years. he again it could be my presence :)

he number of conversions are down, so is general search traffic for luxury hotels. The website is ranking as well as it always did though.

Google trends can reveal a lot, often laughed at around these parts, but it does tell a truer story than you will get from most 'statistics'.

Easy to fix....increase the population, everyone needs to eat and wear clothing.....why, we all require a roof over our heads, housing is a necessity and expensive....more people = greater growth. ;)

Easy to fix....increase the population, everyone needs to eat and wear clothing.....why, we all require a roof over our heads, housing is a necessity and expensive....more people = greater growth. ;)

That's the way NuLiebour did it.

That's why GDP/Capita is a far more appropriate figure compared to GDP.

GDP/Capita shows how far down the average living standards table the UK is compared to other countries. Well down in other words.

Edited by billybong

You're not alone. If there's one thing rampant HPI has taught me, it's how to save and not spend in the high street. Or rather how to spend in a different way.

I never shop retail for clothes, shoes etc and everything is Ebay or discounted online. So ironically my gear is way better than I had before for about 20% of the retail price. So if you're not spending a significant % of your wages into servicing a fat mortgage debt, you're saving it all instead to keep up with HPI - what a brilliant non-boost to the economy.

That works up to the point the county becomes a hell hole, the social security system collapses and people leave in droves.

Nothing lasts forever.