House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheCountOfNowhere

Wonga Letters

http://news.sky.com/story/1288984/wonga-penalised-2-6m-for-fake-legal-threats

Wonga Penalised £2.6m For 'Fake Legal Threats'

The payday lender is to pay compensation to borrowers behind with repayments who were threatened with action by fictional lawyers.

Those damn fictional lawyers letter, so much worse than the real lawyers letters.

There is something really wrong with the UK.

The payday lender is to pay compensation to borrowers behind with repayments who were threatened with action by fictional lawyers.

Those damn fictional lawyers letter, so much worse than the real lawyers letters.

I think that wonga would say that what is wrong with the country is that lawyers are too dear

My partner was pursued by one of these private parking enforcement companies, as recommended we told that we had not contract and ignored all further letters until they gave up. However, they sent solicitors letters that seemed completely fictional to us. So perhaps the practice is widespread...

So documents are faked on an industrial scale and no individual will be prosecuted?

If I forged a fake solicitors letter in order to intimidate someone to pay back money they owed me would I be prosecuted? I suspect I might.

So once again it seems that there is one law for the rich and another for the rest of us.

It makes you wonder what else the old regulators missed as this relates to old regime. They weren't FSA regulated as banks at the time. I can't remember who the regulator was.

So documents are faked on an industrial scale and no individual will be prosecuted?

If I forged a fake solicitors letter in order to intimidate someone to pay back money they owed me would I be prosecuted? I suspect I might.

So once again it seems that there is one law for the rich and another for the rest of us.

Fairly certain its unlawful to pass one selves off as a solicitor or barrister.

Wonga spokesman on C4 news now and I think she is clockwork

It's a bit like that story on BBC a few years back.

A rapist breaks into some guy's house, overpowers him then brutally sodomises him. After the rape he leaves the house taking a plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez with him. He walks brazenly down the street and happens to bump into a policeman. Instead of just walking on with his head down, he stops the policeman he tells him that he has just brutally sodomised some guy then taken his plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez.

The exact response of the policeman as recorded by the BBC was,

"Sir, I am placing you under arrest for the theft of one plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez".

link - www.godshonesttruth.com

It's a bit like that story on BBC a few years back.

A rapist breaks into some guy's house, overpowers him then brutally sodomises him. After the rape he leaves the house taking a plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez with him. He walks brazenly down the street and happens to bump into a policeman. Instead of just walking on with his head down, he stops the policeman he tells him that he has just brutally sodomised some guy then taken his plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez.

The exact response of the policeman as recorded by the BBC was,

"Sir, I am placing you under arrest for the theft of one plastic figuerine of Luis Suarez".

link - www.godshonesttruth.com

Friend had some tools stolen from his van, someone phoned him to say they had found his name and nos written on the inside of a tool they had just bought of a particular individual. Friend went to try and find the individual to see if he had any more, no one in. Friend goes to police to report what has happened. When they hear he attempted to find said individual they arrest him for taking the law into his own hands. When he asks what they will do about the tools, they say "no point in doing anything, he will have got shot of them all by now anyway". In the end he was only cautioned. Same guy has an interesting story about a lorry from a major company demolishing one of his walls- captured on video, and the lengths they went to to deny it...

One of the wonga bosses is Adrian beecroft, Tory donor and cameron chum. Nearly got to re write UK employment law a couple of years ago. In other words, he is connected.

Friend had some tools stolen from his van, someone phoned him to say they had found his name and nos written on the inside of a tool they had just bought of a particular individual. Friend went to try and find the individual to see if he had any more, no one in. Friend goes to police to report what has happened. When they hear he attempted to find said individual they arrest him for taking the law into his own hands. When he asks what they will do about the tools, they say "no point in doing anything, he will have got shot of them all by now anyway". In the end he was only cautioned. Same guy has an interesting story about a lorry from a major company demolishing one of his walls- captured on video, and the lengths they went to to deny it...

I don't believe this tale. Or rather, you are not telling the full story.

I don't believe this tale. Or rather, you are not telling the full story.

Essentially it's what I was told, the guy is a builder and i stayed with him for around a month during my seperation from my wife, I have never now him lie or exaggerate. He was contacted by so someone who had bought a tool for a clearly silly price from a market stall then found Tonys name written on it. The rest is as I say, tbh if you saw Tony Hammering on your door and you had stolen his tools you may well s**t yourself. But he did the "the right thing" of going to the police and they cautioned him for taking the law into his own hands... He has no record and is actually quite a hard working honest, guy IMHO

Yes, he should provide a link to a credible source. It would add credence to his story.

Okay, or you could try going to plod with a similar story/situation - good luck with that

Okay, or you could try going to plod with a similar story/situation - good luck with that

It was a self-referential joke on the obviously fake website link I posted on my obviously fake anecdote.

I am not belittling your anecdote or the social malaise it encapsulates (which largely overlaps that which I was parodying).

The point of my parody was that a great crime, that of Grand Usury, was going unprosecuted whilst the relatively minor infraction of faking lawyer's letters was being punished.

As I understood it, your anecdote related to the police targeting an essentially innocent man whilst allowing a guilty man to roam free - (a situation that is no doubt offensive to every right-minded person). This is similar, and relates to a similar societal malaise, but is not exactly analogous to the parody I posted.

I would be far more direct if I wished to attack you personally, which I don't.