House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I noticed that in my area they are slowly replacing the council benches in open spaces, unfortunately the new bench seats are made of metal rather than the previous material which was wood, the look less elegant and cheaper; having the seat made of metal means they are colder to the touch so less comfortable.

I've mentioned this to a few people, which has help reinforce my image as an anorak but for me it's another example of a slow lowering of our standard of living....

And another thing... LOL In the 1990's the council put in a lot of traffic calming measures and a huge number of signs etc.. but it now fails to maintain them all so they all are worn out and in need of replacement; it all looks a bit run down...

Anyone else noticed this?

Could be an anti-vandalism measure. Main advantage of metal is a few brushes with the hand in wet weather and it is usable, but pretty uncomfortable on the back.

Agree it sounds like anti-vandalism. Another example of the world turning duller and uglier though, even if it's for sensible-looking reasons.

Sounds like another book opportunity for Alain de Botton.

sounds like an opportunity for scrap metal collectors

correct. wooden benches appear to be less cost effective, until you have enough metal benches for metal thieves to create a market. but don't expect your local council numpty to understand that.

Agree it sounds like anti-vandalism. Another example of the world turning duller and uglier though, even if it's for sensible-looking reasons.

Sounds like cost saving, wood needs lots more maintenance and has a shorter life expectancy.

...be thankful you have been given a seat to sit on....they have already removed all the public toilets. ;)

Obviously a pity, for those that like to defecate in public! :blink: Like in India!

Obviously a pity, for those that like to defecate in public! :blink: Like in India!

I want to see india's Mr Poo on television! He could present Location, Location, Defecation with Kirsty.

Mr-Poo-the-protagonist-of-the-campaign.j

I want to see india's Mr Poo on television! He could present Location, Location, Defecation with Kirsty.

Presumably the first two installments of this show will focus on the locations, with the other matter being featured in the turd episode...

XYY

Not sure how true this was/is, but a friend who was in training to be a McDonald's manager told me that a considerable amount of research goes into the seating.

It's supposed to be comfortable to sit on for only a short period of time after which no matter how much you shift about it is intolerable to remain there encouraging you not to "loiter".

Not sure how true this was/is, but a friend who was in training to be a McDonald's manager told me that a considerable amount of research goes into the seating.

It's supposed to be comfortable to sit on for only a short period of time after which no matter how much you shift about it is intolerable to remain there encouraging you not to "loiter".

That would definitely apply to metal seating then. Something quite unpleasant about the feel of metal tubes on the back.

Do a Google image search for Greek Taverna Chair.

It is classically uncomfortable.

...be thankful you have been given a seat to sit on....they have already removed all the public toilets. ;)

That's OK by me Winkie! I am a public urinator, and do not need the comfort of a trough, where you can chat inanely with an unknown bloke holding his nob!

Mr-Poo-the-protagonist-of-the-campaign.j

Poo is rife in India! Plenty of people shitting at the sides of the roads! It's because the plumbing is non existent, and they do not have a proper bog!