House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

The World Cup - Will It Cause A Recession In The Uk?

Now that England have been dumped out of the world cup I heard on the radio today what an economic impact it will have.

I was expecting this.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/24/us-soccer-world-britain-idUSKBN0EZ1QR20140624

"England's World Cup performance had been expected to add millions of pounds to the British economy as fans packed out watering holes for live match screenings and a wave of consumer goodwill swept the high street."

If your economy needs a boost from 11 over-paid bloke skicking a ball round a park in Brazil you know something is far wrong.

Folks round here wait for the team to get going before buying the tat and going out.

The bigger the game the bigger the event for for pubs and clubs its obviously good to have a number of knockout games.

The terrible performance killed all interest dead so not even 3 pay days.

Not the end of the world but it was not the national feel good factor to squeeze out an extra few 0.x% out of the economy.

Most of the adverts I've seen in relation to the world cup have either been warning about beating your girlfriend up after an England game or generally doing something to end up being arrested while watching a game, so I guess you could conclude that now we are out the police can cut down on their overtime, thus saving the taxpayer...

The -1.8/-2.0% GDP in US in Q1 2014 was bcos of the weather.

Apparently they don't normally have weather

Edited by Killer Bunny

Most of the adverts I've seen in relation to the world cup have either been warning about beating your girlfriend up after an England game or generally doing something to end up being arrested while watching a game, so I guess you could conclude that now we are out the police can cut down on their overtime, thus saving the taxpayer...

Sales of cover-up to fall.

But surely we're still in the boom from the last Olympics? :unsure:

Hmm look what Olympic success did for the former Soviet Union. Also thinking football....Argentina, Spain, Italy, Potugal...are we missing something or is it a poisoned chalice and inverted to economic success.

Edited by crashmonitor

Hmm look what Olympic success did for the former Soviet Union. Also thinking football....Argentina, Spain, Italy, Potugal...are we missing something or is it a poisoned chalice and inverted to economic success.

Amazon still have a range of mildly disturbing Jessica Ennis posters.

Veering off-topic...

...there's a little-reported scandal of how England actually ended up in a group with two other top ten ranked countries, which is the fault of Scotland, France and San Marino

I wonder if Italy will use the same excuse?

However the pub trade will have taken a big hit.

I went to a wetherspoons for the second England match.... ghost down. Very strange.

I went to a wetherspoons for the second England match.... ghost down. Very strange.

Pub near me had, unusually, hired two bouncers for that match, I walked past 20 mins before the start of the game and there were no more customers than normal.... again I thought it was odd considering in past years it was packed...

Not sure if it's due to fans dismissing England's chances and boycotting or they just don't have the extra £20 to spend watching it in a pub...

It's swings and roundabouts...I was convinced that if England had done even moderately well in this World Cup (and that's a bloody big IF) then the hideous gloating that would result would lead to a landslide vote for Scottish independence.

Also think Andy Murray's performance may have some bearing on voting behaviour, especially if Alex Salmond tries to hijack the glory again.