House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly how, when one is supposedly shortening a word like 'refrigerator' to 'fridge', do you end up inserting an extra letter 'd'?

A bloody half-assed abbreviation attempt.

This sort of thing makes me really angry.

As the founder of the hapirent sect of Islam you should not get worked up about such trivialities.

Silence! Or you will feel the anger of my first capricious* fatwa.

* did you see what I did there?

Silence! Or you will feel the anger of my first capricious* fatwa.

* did you see what I did there?

After a minor delay oh great prophet!

refrigeration field in the early 20th century that many Americans called any refrigerator, whatever its brand, a "Frigidaire". The name Frigidaire or the earlier version, Frigerator, may be the actual origin of the slang term "fridge".

Now calm down dear...calm down..

How about the word "extraordinary"? Split it up into "extra" and "ordinary" and the meaning you get is something very very mundane, not something extra special. So how did the word come into being?

Should I get my coat?

Exactly how, when one is supposedly shortening a word like 'refrigerator' to 'fridge', do you end up inserting an extra letter 'd'?

A bloody half-assed abbreviation attempt.

This sort of thing makes me really angry.

Because if it was spelled 'frige', the 'i' would be pronounced as in 'eye' because of the proximity of the final 'e'. Don't they teach English grammar any more? Or is it just that I was educated in Scotland? :P

Edit: spelling failure. :)

Because if it was spelled 'frige', the 'i' would be pronounced as in 'eye' because of the proximity of the final 'e'. Don't they teach English grammar any more? Or is it just that I was educated in Scotland? :P

Edit: spelling failure. :)

But clearly not its name, a split digraph

How about the word "extraordinary"? Split it up into "extra" and "ordinary" and the meaning you get is something very very mundane, not something extra special. So how did the word come into being?

Should I get my coat?

No you should get your dictionary. Extra here means outside of, as in extraterrestrial.

No you should get your dictionary. Extra here means outside of, as in extraterrestrial.

Corrected for you. The fact the meaning is less obvious in some other usages doesn't invalidate it.

What about flammable and inflammable meaning exactly the same thing? That's always pissed me off.

And another thing. The moment I start a thread dedicated to one particular spelling anomaly, some Tom, Dick or Neil pipes up expressing frustration at some entirely different grammatical peculiarity, without so much as a bye or leave.

God, you lot make me sick.

No, that's a furniture range from Ikea.

I heard she was the blonde from Abba.

And another thing. The moment I start a thread dedicated to one particular spelling anomaly, some Tom, Dick or Neil pipes up expressing frustration at some entirely different grammatical peculiarity, without so much as a bye or leave.

God, you lot make me sick.

Diddums. Did the nasty HPCers put your pet hate in the frieser? Chill out and join the little game[1] you started.

[1] Just don't hijack it to talk about Big Game, or the Great Game, or .... oh.

Diddums. Did the nasty HPCers put your pet hate in the frieser? Chill out and join the little game[1] you started.

[1] Just don't hijack it to talk about Big Game, or the Great Game, or .... oh.

Right, you're banned from this thread. Pick up your posts and go, and never darken my towels again.

And another thing. The moment I start a thread dedicated to one particular spelling anomaly, some Tom, Dick or Neil pipes up expressing frustration at some entirely different grammatical peculiarity, without so much as a bye or leave a reach around (surely? Ed.).

And another thing. The moment I start a thread dedicated to one particular spelling anomaly, some Tom, Dick or Neil pipes up expressing frustration at some entirely different grammatical peculiarity, without so much as a bye or leave a reach around (surely? Ed.).

You're banned too.

Right, you're banned from this thread. Pick up your posts and go, and never darken my towels again.

Oink? Oink!

Right toe. Trotting off to join the band. Thanks for the towel.