House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

What Benefit Changes Do You Think Will Actually Be Introduced Whoever Wins In 2015?

What changes to benefits do you think the Tories/Labour would actually implement if they are elected in 2015?

Edited by fru-gal

Well, Labour have pledged to embark on a very large scale Council house building program, with houses being fully equipped with solar panels and water heaters so that tenants can get a slightly lower rate of benefits. This, combined with vastly relaxed planning rules for self-build, will see the housing benefit bill rapidly shrink and market rents decline to sane levels with house prices. At the same time they will roll up effectively all pensions, tax credits, housing benefit, child benefit and (some) DLA into a citizen's income (with a lower rate for children carefully calibrated to make them a slight cost); some DLA will remain for severe cases. The whole concept of a state retirement age will hence be abolished; this (CI) will be designed to be broadly income-neutral. This will, of course, free up a huge amount of bureaucracy to save even more; the end result will be a system with sharply lower costs and no penalties for working.

Sorry.. got carried away. Both of them will tweak a few things here and there according to whatever the focus groups and Daily Mail are banging on about each week. The system will get more complicated, but continue to pay enough to forestall open starvation and/or rioting. Effective Marginal tax rates at the low end will continue to be much higher than those at the top end.

Fluffy, you should send that suggestion to the great minds at Labour HQ. You never know, it sounds a lost more cost effective than their owl strategy, so they might just take note.

Edited by fru-gal

Fluffy, you should send that suggestion to the great minds at Labour HQ. You never know, it sounds a lost more cost effective than their owl strategy, so they might just take note.

First I'll have to find their great minds..

If Labour get in I would predict:

More taxes for the middle income workers, but none on wealth, driving more workers to either look abroad for work or just stop and go on benefits.

Increased tax credits to get more people dependant on the state.

More spending on NHS and Schools, but none of it will be directed at anything, therefore it will be wasted by 10 layers of management and we'll end up with worse services as a result.

An end to austerity as Ed Balls says we can just print to fill any deficit we have.

oh and their raison d'etre ... Bankrupcy

If Labour get in I would predict:

More taxes for the middle income workers, but none on wealth, driving more workers to either look abroad for work or just stop and go on benefits.

Increased tax credits to get more people dependant on the state.

More spending on NHS and Schools, but none of it will be directed at anything, therefore it will be wasted by 10 layers of management and we'll end up with worse services as a result.

An end to austerity as Ed Balls says we can just print to fill any deficit we have.

oh and their raison d'etre ... Bankrupcy

As opposed to the Conservatives (OK, replace 'Tax Credits for the less well-off' with 'Tax cuts for the very well off')

But this is about benefits. Labour have promised to make the system more contribution-based, which is a bit off (It's called 'Insurance' for a reason..). Just sounds more complicated to me, although in theory I could benefit.

Well, Labour have pledged to embark on a very large scale Council house building program, with houses being fully equipped with solar panels and water heaters so that tenants can get a slightly lower rate of benefits. This, combined with vastly relaxed planning rules for self-build, will see the housing benefit bill rapidly shrink and market rents decline to sane levels with house prices. At the same time they will roll up effectively all pensions, tax credits, housing benefit, child benefit and (some) DLA into a citizen's income (with a lower rate for children carefully calibrated to make them a slight cost); some DLA will remain for severe cases. The whole concept of a state retirement age will hence be abolished; this (CI) will be designed to be broadly income-neutral. This will, of course, free up a huge amount of bureaucracy to save even more; the end result will be a system with sharply lower costs and no penalties for working.

Sorry.. got carried away. Both of them will tweak a few things here and there according to whatever the focus groups and Daily Mail are banging on about each week. The system will get more complicated, but continue to pay enough to forestall open starvation and/or rioting. Effective Marginal tax rates at the low end will continue to be much higher than those at the top end.

Great post, The british political system summed up in a few words.

Instead of even debating it anymore maybe we should just run a sweepstake on how much longer its going to last? I will honestly be surprised if the whole game lasts another term of gov what odds are folk offerling? although no point in betting in currency!

Great post, The british political system summed up in a few words.

Instead of even debating it anymore maybe we should just run a sweepstake on how much longer its going to last? I will honestly be surprised if the whole game lasts another term of gov what odds are folk offerling? although no point in betting in currency!

What do you mean by "last"? Who is the pied piper that will come calling for all the money/debt that the UK owes?

Brilliant! You had me there for a moment!

What do you mean by "last"? Who is the pied piper that will come calling for all the money/debt that the UK owes?

They have built such a house of cards for so long now the potential for what could happen is terrifying. Unless the plan of course is just for everyone to lend to each other forever and hope it all works out and noone ever calls in any debts? surely to god this isnt the plan our economics experts are working towards?

They have built such a house of cards for so long now the potential for what could happen is terrifying. Unless the plan of course is just for everyone to lend to each other forever and hope it all works out and noone ever calls in any debts? surely to god this isnt the plan our economics experts are working towards?

But if we are borrowing from China, who are China borrowing from etc? It is like a financial mobius strip, so we are probably in debt to ourselves.

Everyone is printing money and lending to each other to cover debts gradually whittling down the actual value of there money. The debt doesnt matter so much as the actual value, this is now why so many brits are on the poverty line.

In many ways there may not be a house price crash and the average house price could hit a million in a few years however this could be due to the fact the money has lost all its value and a loaf of bread is a hundred quid.

Thing is we usually have big wars when it gets to this point anyway.

All we seem to manage to do is borrow from the future....has the future cottoned on to it yet?

You can't really borrow from the future though. Not unless someone has created a time machine that allows goods to be shipped from the future to now. The idea that when you borrow you borrow from the future is a fallacy.

You can't really borrow from the future though. Not unless someone has created a time machine that allows goods to be shipped from the future to now. The idea that when you borrow you borrow from the future is a fallacy.

What utter rubbish.

If I borrow say £5000 to go on holiday I have used money that I am going to earn in the future. I fail to see how anyone can dispute this.

What utter rubbish.

If I borrow say £5000 to go on holiday I have used money that I am going to earn in the future. I fail to see how anyone can dispute this.

Thats right, you are asking the lender to lend you the money based on future earning and of course the risk to the lender is that you might not paid it back because you lose your job or die... etc. Which is why lenders love basing lending on assets.

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Everyone is printing money and lending to each other to cover debts gradually whittling down the actual value of there money. The debt doesnt matter so much as the actual value, this is now why so many brits are on the poverty line.

In many ways there may not be a house price crash and the average house price could hit a million in a few years however this could be due to the fact the money has lost all its value and a loaf of bread is a hundred quid.

Thing is we usually have big wars when it gets to this point anyway.

I'm one of those very boring realists who see major power conflict as quite inevitable. The only difficulty in making a prediction is when, in my view. I would be surprised is there's no ruckus with the Middle Kingdom between here and 2030 though.

Further measures to reward self-unemployment and reduce benefit payments to the young, single and childless while retaining the big fat pension triple lock. Hell, if they can figure out a quadruple lock they'll go for that.

Universal credit abandoned in a massive scandal. Ids and one or two top civil servants blamed jointly. Making work pay still a distant dream.