House Price Crash Forum
subspace

Nigel Farage: Give Voters The Power To Block Local Housing

Nigel Farage has said that his party will be an advocate of direct democracy by giving voters the power in a referendum to block local housing, environmental or transport schemes. He also said he wanted voters to be given a more direct say in foreign affairs issues, arguing that Swiss-style referendums can bind countries together.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/24/nigel-farage-ukip-voters-greater-voice-referendums

That is quite an emotive title given to the thread. It could just as easily read , Nigel Farage: Give voters the power to demand more houses be built.

Having read what he has said I pretty much agree with it all.

He's arguing in favour of direct democracy, not nimbyism per se.

But NIMBYism is what you might get.

But maybe not. Perhaps NIMBY's get too much exposure and there is a silent majority in favour of more building.

Always makes me laugh when a local paper reports a hall was 'packed' with protesters opposing the plans and find out its about 30, in a community of thousands

Edited by aSecureTenant

Since UKIP's constituency is far right white boomer males - He means a NIMBY's charter.

What we do know is what we get from LibLabCon. Promises and half truths, from a bunch of self serving career politicians.

I don't care if UKIP are left, right, or centre, they will get my vote because I can't think of any better way of shaking the tree.

That is quite an emotive title given to the thread. It could just as easily read , Nigel Farage: Give voters the power to demand more houses be built.

Having read what he has said I pretty much agree with it all.

'The Ukip leader said that voters should be able to veto planning decisions, sack bad MPs and challenge council tax rises'

Amen to that.

Since UKIP's constituency is far right white boomer males - He means a NIMBY's charter.

As a referendum generally applies to the whole country, what does it matter what UKIPs constituency is?

Are you trying to suggest they'll limit participation to people who voted UKIP (however they are supposed to know that)

'The Ukip leader said that voters should be able to veto planning decisions, sack bad MPs and challenge council tax rises'

Amen to that.

Almost sounds like the tories last manifesto...

Vote on the lisbon treaty

Giving voters power to recall MPs

Immigration down to tens of thousands rather than millions.

etc etc.

With boroughs as rotten as Tower Hamlets is alleged to be, is direct democracy a good idea? I see rampant nimby-ism in the leafier parts of the country & Sharia cronyism in the inner cities.

Better democracy than oligarchy I think, which is what we have at the moment.

My 30 year old Slovak other half voted for them you know...

I dunno what Labour's constituency is. "Vote ZanuLabour for another glorious decade of total law enforcement."

You will be saying soon that most of them don't know how to use the internet or send emails.

Don't fall into the same trap the shadow minister did.

I don't care if UKIP are left, right, or centre, they will get my vote because I can't think of any better way of shaking the tree.

I agree- UKIP's virtue is that they are not the other three parties- and let's face it whoever we vote for it's the same vested interests pulling the strings- at least with UKIP there is some chance to change the mix.

What we do know is what we get from LibLabCon. Promises and half truths, from a bunch of self serving career politicians.

I agree- UKIP's virtue is that they are not the other three parties- and let's face it whoever we vote for it's the same vested interests pulling the strings- at least with UKIP there is some chance to change the mix.

ROTFLMAO

Vote for us because we are not them. Just like David Cameron was not (and is not) Gordon Brown.

Political belief really is religion in every respect - fairy tales and imaginary friends. Life after death and la-la land all over.

ROTFLMAO

Vote for us because we are not them. Just like David Cameron was not (and is not) Gordon Brown.

Political belief really is religion in every respect - fairy tales and imaginary friends. Life after death and la-la land all over.

The difference is lab and con have had power...and shown time and again that they cannot be trusted.

UKIP, while probably no different, at least need to be given a chance.

Being a career politician in the tory and labour party is easy...you are virtually guaranteed a job.

Not so UKIP, where people take real risk to stand for what they believe in.

ROTFLMAO

So who do you think we should vote for at the next election?

Labour, who started all this mess with their house price bubble and bank bail-outs?

Conservatives, who rightly criticised Labour's housing bubble then decided that the best way to get re-elected was to re-write history, deny it's existence, and inflate it further with taxpayers money?

LibDems, who........... er........... do the LibDems actually do anything in the coalition?

UKIP, an unknown quantity, but given the failings of the other three, surely they're worth a shot.

Ye Gods, an expenses fiddler :rolleyes:.

It's not like the other parties don't have their fair share of those. You'll have to do better than that, but I'm sure you'll keep trying.

Edit: I just noticed the date of the article you linked to, Friday 06 November 2009. Was that the best you could come up with.

I was stupid enough to think that when the expenses scandal broke out in Britain that Labour would come out relatively clean due to ideology :lol::lol::lol::lol:

They are all bent you can't trust any of them. The above MEP scandal wouldn't have happened if there were no MEp's

UKIP are no better or worse than the others IMHO

With boroughs as rotten as Tower Hamlets is alleged to be, is direct democracy a good idea? I see rampant nimby-ism in the leafier parts of the country & Sharia cronyism in the inner cities.

Churchill's quip about democracy being "the worst of all systems - except for the others" springs to mind.

Sure, if you give "The People" more input, you run the risk of corruption, populism, and nimby-ism. But the alternative is... what? Some self-selecting cadre of middle-class arts graduates who will pretend to listen to you, but have in fact already decided what's in your interest?

Just to add how did he manage to do this fraud?

Simple the rule book has been written by fraudsters for fraudsters. You try ripping off your employers for £1000. You will be sacked for stealing a cup of coffee.

Churchill's quip about democracy being "the worst of all systems - except for the others" springs to mind.

Sure, if you give "The People" more input, you run the risk of corruption, populism, and nimby-ism. But the alternative is... what? Some self-selecting cadre of middle-class arts graduates who will pretend to listen to you, but have in fact

already decided what's in your interest?

Churchill's quip referred to representative democracy within a constitutional framework (written or unwritten). What happens in direct democracy is outlined in my signature below.