House Price Crash Forum

Alastair Cook Must Go

InlikeFlynn

HOLA441

I do think that there are serious issues in the ECB.

Cook seems to sound more and more like a politician in IDS mode.. no matter what goes wrong and how bad it performs, he is always 'staying the course', 'facing hard truths' and 'still the best man for the job'. Better captains have resigned - does he even understand that this is an option? Funny thing is, if he was his own man he would be a better captain.. but may have resigned by now.

Nothing wrecks team spirit faster than the feeling that people are judged/promoted/rewarded for factors other than performance. That's not just in cricket or sport generally, it's everywhere.

And the campaign against KP has been a disgrace. It's not like the team has suddenly turned into world beaters after he has been ejected.

HOLA442

Unfortunately, I find myself unable to support India, Australia or South Africa.

So I will have to refrain from any Test or ODI/T20I cricket unless Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies, Ireland or Holland are playing.

HOLA443

Unfortunately, I find myself unable to support India, Australia or South Africa.

So I will have to refrain from any Test or ODI/T20I cricket unless Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, New Zealand, West Indies, Ireland or Holland are playing.

India do have an interesting new team with all their retirements, could be interesting.

I'd provisionally forecast a high scoring series. England to take the lead but India quite possibly to fight back..

HOLA444

When arethey going to analyse the reasons behind the ashes debacle other than the perverse scapegoating of one man.

Instead we are told all is well, move along, keep quiet don't dare question us. With that attitude towards its 'stakeholders' there is absolutely no chance they will disband with captain calamity despite the stark inefficiencies of his leadership and captaincy being exposed every time he takes the field or opens his mouth off it. Never mind his stabbing in the back of a senior batsman by calling a secret meeting then running and telling Flower what was said in it. I genuinely believe they thought they could hide behind summer test victories and that a performance such as day 4 could not happen. Well it did and frankly is likely to happen again before the summer is out.

Sadly the ECB know their arrogance can largely go unchallenged in both paper and print media. Sky are beholden to them and all cricket journalists know they have to toe the party line if they wish to earn a living reporting on the sport. Only a few articles have begun to appear questioning the ECB. When will the established journalists dare to state the bleeding obvious?

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA445

I think all the old guard should be cleared out.....Bell and Prior come to mind...the latter gone through injury...but heck why not risk Butler in the first place. OK he can't wicket keep that well but Prior is just as much a clown behind the stumps routinely missing a couple of chances per test. That might sound harsh but I was brought up in the era of Bob Taylor who probably missed two chances in his entire career and like Zebedee could take a catch in front of second leg slip that wouldn't even be considered a chance these days and was as quick at stumping as a gunslinger drawing a gun. Now we get a procession of batters that can't keep wicket. Although Taylor was a rabbit with the bat he was actually worth three wickets per test that other keepers would have missed. The clown Rodney Marsh started the trend for batter that couldn't really keep wicket, routinely spilling chances...but he was gifted so many chances from Lillee and Thompson it really didn't matter and the stats would wrongly suggest he was one of the best.

Anyway no choice really, another good batter that can't keep wicket in Butler but a better bet than an ageing Prior. God knows why 30 years on from the Knott/Taylor era the art of wicket keeping is lost.

HOLA446

Shame they couldn't accommodate figjam

Difficult personality that often comes with talent, wanting to be the best and being frustrated by others, and likely to never be satisfied in himself or others. But it is possible to accommodate those types if everyone genuinely, gives there all.

HOLA447
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA448

I think all the old guard should be cleared out.....Bell and Prior come to mind...the latter gone through injury...but heck why not risk Butler in the first place. OK he can't wicket keep that well but Prior is just as much a clown behind the stumps routinely missing a couple of chances per test.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/profiles/2258/JosButtler

Well averaged 66 over the last three games so I was right so far about Buttler. Can't seem to get the series averages.....not in the newspapers and google search failed. Instead we get journos marking the players out of ten when a table of averages would be more useful imo.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://www.cricbuzz.com/profiles/2258/JosButtler

Well averaged 66 over the last three games so I was right so far about Buttler. Can't seem to get the series averages.....not in the newspapers and google search failed. Instead we get journos marking the players out of ten when a table of averages would be more useful imo.

50% strike rate there. To be fair, I've been (very) wrong about Bell too, over the years

Archived