House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

InlikeFlynn

Alastair Cook Must Go

Am listening to the radio and having flashbacks to the "Andy Caddick years"

We are being dominated by the minnows of test cricket again. When we lose this match should Cook resign?

Am listening to the radio and having flashbacks to the "Andy Caddick years"

We are being dominated by the minnows of test cricket again. When we lose this match should Cook resign?

Should have gone after the Ashes - amazing that his position wasn't even questioned, not least by himself. Seems to have sent his batting down the pan as well.

He'll probably come out and hit a magnificent match winning century now, though. Assuming England get to bat again.

If there was a credible alternative he would already be gone.

Had doubts about him from the off.

I don't however subscribe to the theory that all other batters are forced to accommodate him.

The only possible player worth a go as captain is Joe Root.

But he has to stay at 5. And isn't really realistic at this stage.

Cook also takes the heat for not having Monty in this side. Doesn't rate him.

I'm not sure the England seamers would be too happy with the pitches either.

More Sri Lankan than English.

Its encouraging to see some of our batters getting runs.

If there was a credible alternative he would already be gone.

Had doubts about him from the off.

I don't however subscribe to the theory that all other batters are forced to accommodate him.

The only possible player worth a go as captain is Joe Root.

But he has to stay at 5. And isn't really realistic at this stage.

Cook also takes the heat for not having Monty in this side. Doesn't rate him.

I'm not sure the England seamers would be too happy with the pitches either.

More Sri Lankan than English.

Its encouraging to see some of our batters getting runs.

I'd have seriously thought of Broad as a possible captain, has the ability to get up the opposition's noses.

Seems like Cook wants to take the heat off of not only Hodgson, Rooney and Gerrard but also Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Blatter, Cameron, Miliband and Clegg too...

:)

Is it time to get rid of Peter Moores again? Then bring back KP as captain?

Based.on what? His batting? His ability to get on with the guys? Let it go for chrissakes!!

Based.on what? His batting? His ability to get on with the guys? Let it go for chrissakes!!

Few overs of offsprin might have helped.. :-p

His batting is better than Cook's in the last series be played in.

And also he's not a meek, flower-loving, backstabbing choirboy.

Which is nice.

I see Cook went past Boycott in this series.

As opener, i'd say fair ******s to him.

A good/great opening batsman who is currently coming up short.

3 of the new breed getting hundreds in the series is encouraging.

Cook may have to do a Nasser Hussain and hand over to Root mid summer. His mind is shot, and his form is suffering.

But its interesting to see how the focus of the KP groupie (Piers Morgan for instance) has now changed,as he isn't making any runs either.

The bowling has let England down in this game big time.

I see Cook went past Boycott in this series.

As opener, i'd say fair ******s to him.

A good/great opening batsman who is currently coming up short.

3 of the new breed getting hundreds in the series is encouraging.

Cook may have to do a Nasser Hussain and hand over to Root mid summer. His mind is shot, and his form is suffering.

But its interesting to see how the focus of the KP groupie (Piers Morgan for instance) has now changed,as he isn't making any runs either.

The bowling has let England down in this game big time.

Well, our new guys seem to have done well, if the problem was middle order collapses there would be calls for KP. Although.. is KP the kind of batsman who would, in the last over of the day in a critical situation and with a whole new day's batting to come, spoon a simple chance to cover? (Don't answer..)

I had a bad feeling from the start of yesterday, it seemed like they had no plan but 'wait for the new ball'. By which time the lead was already getting dangerous.

GREAT match.

4 new boys all netting 100s in the series.

Kevin who?

Too true shindigger. An excellent match despite the result. Root, Ali, and Balance all did their bit. Bodes well for Englands middle order for the next few years.

Time to lose Cook from the captaincy though.

Our bowling attack has looked toothless at times, which is a real worry, particularly when combined with Cook's wierd tactics. I'm undecided about Jordan, and both Jimmy and Broad seemed out of sorts for much of the match. I don't have any clever ideas unfortunately but I can't see us bowling out sides at the moment. I think we are going to slip to the lower reaches of the ICC test rankings pretty quickly without a decent bowling attack: Jimmy is lurching towards retirement, Broad is occasionally excellent but frequently average.

Whilst I'm genuinely pleased for SL it's hard not to think that this test was lost by England rather than won by Sri Lanka.

Too true shindigger. An excellent match despite the result. Root, Ali, and Balance all did their bit. Bodes well for Englands middle order for the next few years.

Time to lose Cook from the captaincy though.

Our bowling attack has looked toothless at times, which is a real worry, particularly when combined with Cook's wierd tactics. I'm undecided about Jordan, and both Jimmy and Broad seemed out of sorts for much of the match. I don't have any clever ideas unfortunately but I can't see us bowling out sides at the moment. I think we are going to slip to the lower reaches of the ICC test rankings pretty quickly without a decent bowling attack: Jimmy is lurching towards retirement, Broad is occasionally excellent but frequently average.

Whilst I'm genuinely pleased for SL it's hard not to think that this test was lost by England rather than won by Sri Lanka.

All of the old coaches were binned apart from David Saker the bowling coach.

I'd say bin him and get Gus Fraser in, and see about getting Steve Finn back in the ranks asap.

Im also not conviced by Jordan yet at test level. Stokes is banging on the door.

I nothe that Ali put more revs on the ball than Sri Lankas Herath, and so that bodes well. he also got a couple of good scalps to go with his 100. So no probs there for now. When a REAL spinner option comes along then fine but Ali will do for now.

Main problem this series has been our pitches suited them more than us and they bowled better on them too.

Not sure Matt Prior has got much distance left to run either. Mainly because of the catches going down.

I'd say bin him and get Gus Fraser in, and see about getting Steve Finn back in the ranks asap.

Im also not conviced by Jordan yet at test level. Stokes is banging on the door.

I nothe that Ali put more revs on the ball than Sri Lankas Herath, and so that bodes well. he also got a couple of good scalps to go with his 100. So no probs there for now. When a REAL spinner option comes along then fine but Ali will do for now.

Main problem this series has been our pitches suited them more than us and they bowled better on them too.

Not sure Matt Prior has got much distance left to run either. Mainly because of the catches going down.

For spin, I'd like to see Kerrigan given another try. He shouldn't be binned off for a bad debut when all the experienced team mates around him were also dire.

For spin, I'd like to see Kerrigan given another try. He shouldn't be binned off for a bad debut when all the experienced team mates around him were also dire.

Agreed.

Its hard for a leg spinner to develop when there are no runs to play with. If Englands batting starts looking solid and we get regular 400 plus scores in first innings he should be given another shot. As it is, Ali will do until another one comes along.

Stokes in for Jordan, perhaps, Buttler for Prior.

Funny thing is, it's the senior players who have been more of a problem. Cook obviously, Bell - especially in the second test he failed to go on to 100 in the first innings or hang around in the second. Broad and Anderson in the second innings.

The whole England cricket structure is rotten to the core. Starting from the bigwigs at the top, to their representative on earth (Captain Cook), they have closed ranks and are protecting each others' interests. Here are some of the reasons why I have no faith and no admiration for the current team:

1. Made our most entertaining and top-scoring batsman in generations, in fact the highest scoring England batsman ever, a scapegoat for their collective failure in Australia. Treated him with contempt and spite and Cook and Prior stabbed him in the back by revealing what he said to Flower in a private players meeting.

2. The arrogance of Andy Flower still continues to permeate throughout the whole set-up as the way the team underestimated the opposition, isolated and jettisoned players (Tremlett, Finn, Compton, Carberry, Monty etc) without communicating with them as to why they were dropped.

3. Cook's disgusting behaviour on and off the field (aforementioned backstabbing incident of organising a 'private' team-meeting with KP and the snitching behind his back to Flower, as well as more recent incidents against Sri Lanka).

4. Cook's lack of runs

5. Cook's lack of tactical nous

6. Cook's lack of insight into his failures (encouraged by Agnew and Selvey's sycophantic scribbles)

7. An insidious, nasty, pernicious and completely unnecessary campaign against KP (e.g. Downton's 'accidental' comments in public forums)

8. Re-appointing a coach who is not good enough at international level

9. Stealing the coach of the team who you are supposed to be playing in four weeks to try and win.

10. Deliberately trying to get an opposition bowler banned (or at the least psychologically scarred) with convenient allegations of 'throwing' simply because our feted batsmen (led by the undistinguished leader of men, Captain Cook) cannot play him.

11. The hypocrisy of accusing the opposition of not playing within the 'spirit of the game' when our players are lauded for doing the most unsportsmanlike acts on the pitch.

12. Our foul-mouthed oafs in the team who can give lots of 'stick' to the opposition batsmen but then cry like girls when they are on the receiving end of it.

13. Selling out to commercial interests and shameful advertising (Sky, Stanford, Waitrose), whilst setting astronomical ticket prices for matches.

I could go on and on and on. But this is enough for now.

After 35 years of supporting England with a passion, since the days of Randall, Chris Olde, Knotty, I am now supporting anyone but England and not a penny of mine will be spent in future lining the pockets of the ECB.