House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Public Sector Strikes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27980502

"Local government workers and school support staff in England, Wales and Northern Ireland have voted to strike over pay, public service union Unison has said."

The people who benefit directly from the money we are forced to pay are now not going to work and demand we pay more.

I have 4 words for them:

TAKE A PAY CUT.

"fair pay" is the market rate, almost by definition... economic value and reward matched up.

Dave Prentis the UNISON guy says nothing that is not emotive guff, too.

The problem is the govt isn't willing to admit it can't afford the wages and when we are blowing several billion on 2 aircraft carriers one of which is only every likely to be operational with aircraft that will be limited it's not surprising the proles want more money.

Money which we didn't have was immediately found to bailout the bankers and being realistic that could have paid to send everyone to University for a couple of decades with no tuition fees.

However in an inflationary environment it's only natural to demand higher wages, which pushes inflation higher meaning you need higher wages. The unions are run by the same type of idiots that run the country so expecting sense from them is a pipedream.

It's just a shame that the government decided to go against the previously agreed 1% rise and instead gave NHS staff either no pay rise at all or a 1% pay award that ends up being a lot less than 1% for most staff. About 0.5% on my dizzying 16000 salary!.

I feel if the government had just stuck with the 1% most people would feel ok with it.

That said, I don't feel striking is ever the correct route for public sector workers.

It's just a shame that the government decided to go against the previously agreed 1% rise and instead gave NHS staff either no pay rise at all or a 1% pay award that ends up being a lot less than 1% for most staff. About 0.5% on my dizzying 16000 salary!.

I feel if the government had just stuck with the 1% most people would feel ok with it.

That said, I don't feel striking is ever the correct route for public sector workers.

Why shoudl they get 1% when the people they force to pay for them get pay cuts and no pensions ?

Labour made the system grossly unbalanced the tories are too frightened to make the real cut necessary.

Collapse is almost certain.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

A couple of years ago I did a Freedom of Information Request at my East Cheshire Council for the number of people earning £50k or more.

They replied it was 270 people.

Striking public sector workers should look at how much money is coming in and where it's going out. If a Chief Executive on £180k (more than the PM at the time) was instead paid £50k then 130 workers could have £1k extra a year each. Any applicants for the job at £50k?

There should be no more public sector pay rises until there is no deficit being run up.

Pay redistribution to the real workers seems like a much better policy.

Every penny the government borrows to pay public sector workers devalued the private sectors earnings who are supposed to be paying for the public sector. The current setup is completely unsustainable.

There should be no more public sector pay rises until there is no deficit being run up. Pay redistribution to the real workers seems like a much better policy. Every penny the government borrows to pay public sector workers devalued the private sectors earnings who are supposed to be paying for the public sector. The current setup is completely unsustainable.

To be met with the oft repeated howls of 'us public sector workers are paying for a crisis we didnt create'

1. The public sector may not have 'created' the excess of mortgage and other debt, but as it cycled through the economy and tax system, they grew bloated on its back.

2. If its about culpability, when do taxpayers get a refund for the public sector follies such as the Iraq war or the abandoned NHS IT debacle.

Whatever good the public sector unions do, their demented us/them rhetoric completely undermines it.

I'll support anyone at the bottom of the public sector pay scale now.

The problem is fat cat managers and contractors on silly six-figure money, not school support staff on peanuts.

Any who thinks that is frankly mental.

Yes HMRC staff will be on strike, my office will be on strike on Friday. My last day is on Thursday though!

It really is a grim place to work, especially at c. £8 per hour.