House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

4G - Forum Very Slow - Eratic

Is anyone else finding forum access very poor using 4G.

I have good speeds showing on speedtest (up to 20 mbps down and 4 mbps up), but the forum keeps hanging. If I force a 3G connection it improves, even though it's much slower on other sites.

Is it like this, by any chance...

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=193847

We use EE 4G as our home broadband connection.

EE 4G uses something called Carrier Grade NAT.

This site doesn't like that and actively refuses to serve pages.

Yes, that looks like the same problem.

I'm using Bouygues Telecom, a French network and keep getting hangups. Some pages will load fine, others not, it seems to be random.

If I route it through my UK proxy, that I use to get UK television, it's a lot better. Very frustrating!

To see if it is that...

Open this site.

Open www.whatsmyip.org in a second tab.

When this site "dies", click onto that second tab and refresh it.

Watch the address at the top. If it changes when it dies, and you then repeatedly refresh the HPC site until it comes back, you'll observe that the IP address you have when it resumes, is the same as the one you had just prior to it dying.

We use a VPN which gets around this.

For this purpose it's the same.

That it works when you route over that does indicate - as you said - that the problem lies with the underlying connection and how the site deals with it (or refuses to do so).

For this purpose it's the same.

That it works when you route over that does indicate - as you said - that the problem lies with the underlying connection and how the site deals with it (or refuses to do so).

I'll have to keep using the proxy then, but it's a bit of a pain as it introduces a one or two second delay and slows down other sites noticeably, negating much of the advantage of 4G.

The VPN we use does increase the latency slightly and shaves a couple of meg off the speed in both directions (normally around 22 down/20 up).

The delays shouldn't be as noticeable as yours - perhaps the proxy server is heavily contended and a move to another proxy/VPN provider might work.

If you know what a traceroute is you might be able to identify where the delay is..

Assuming Windows: Command Prompt > tracert www.housepricecrash.co.uk (enter)

Look for anything that has a high ms time (e.g. > 100) and most especially where a * appears indicating a timeout on a particular row (called a "hop"). NB the last "hop" may always time out so it never "finishes" and gives up - that doesn't indicate a problem, just that the HPC server won't respond to that command.

Repeat at a later time and if the same "hop" shows that kind of delay, that's where the bottleneck most likely is.

I'll have to keep using the proxy then, but it's a bit of a pain as it introduces a one or two second delay and slows down other sites noticeably, negating much of the advantage of 4G.

Did you see the thread on UKIP voters who can't handle modern technology.?

The VPN we use does increase the latency slightly and shaves a couple of meg off the speed in both directions (normally around 22 down/20 up).

The delays shouldn't be as noticeable as yours - perhaps the proxy server is heavily contended and a move to another proxy/VPN provider might work.

If you know what a traceroute is you might be able to identify where the delay is..

Assuming Windows: Command Prompt > tracert www.housepricecrash.co.uk (enter)

Look for anything that has a high ms time (e.g. > 100) and most especially where a * appears indicating a timeout on a particular row (called a "hop"). NB the last "hop" may always time out so it never "finishes" and gives up - that doesn't indicate a problem, just that the HPC server won't respond to that command.

Repeat at a later time and if the same "hop" shows that kind of delay, that's where the bottleneck most likely is.

Thanks for that.

I use "britishtvanywhere.com" for my proxy servers, a little pricey but very user friendly. I have a choice of 6 UK servers, some are better than others at different times of the day, but all work well with BBC, Sky etc.

Are you accessing them by IP address as opposed to name?

If so, the problem could be slow DNS resolution.

You could test that theory by specifying the two server IPs on the right of this page as your DNS servers for that connection..

http://www.opendns.com/opendns-ip-addresses/

I'm going through DynDns as I don't have a fixed IP at home. My home router reports the current IP address to DynDns and they forward my request. So yes, by IP address.

I can't change the name servers on my pocket mobile router. At home, on a proper router, I use Google's DNS servers which seem to be as good as any.

Edit: Correction, I'm connecting to DynDns by name and from there to my cameras by IP.

We don't have 4G on the Isle of Wight. We barely have 3G. :(

You did, but David Icke's hooked-up some home-made Tesla-coils near the transmitter, and is sucking up all the island's bandwidth...!

XYY

Well down here in Cornwall we are on two been tins and a piece of frayed string and unfortunately the string is a bit slack tonight!

Sorry for the thread hijack - but as there are some people with good networking knowledge here...

I am planning to replace my existing wired internet with a 4G Mi Fi unit - a Huawei E5776 which is the only option available here in Qatar (and yes, the heat really is as stifling as claimed). My issue is that this unit only supports 10 devices and has no Ethernet connectivity (for my NAS, TV, etc), so does the following Heath-Robinson solution sound like it would work...

Connect the Mi Fi (via wireless) to my RE2000 Range Extender. Use the Ethernet port on the Range Extender to plug into the Ethernet (Internet-in) port on my Linksys router/modem and use the routers Ethernet (LAN) ports to connect to my NAS, TV, Games console, power line extenders, etc.

I would need to switch off DHCP on the Mi Fi unit and switch it on on the router (so that I can connect more than 10 devices and route iPlayer etc traffic through my VPN provider). I guessI would need to turn off the wireless on the Linksys router (as I don't think it has an option to repeat the Wireless signal of the Mi Fi), but that is OK as it would be sitting next to the RE2000 unit anyway.

Sorry for the thread hijack - but as there are some people with good networking knowledge here...

I am planning to replace my existing wired internet with a 4G Mi Fi unit - a Huawei E5776 which is the only option available here in Qatar (and yes, the heat really is as stifling as claimed). My issue is that this unit only supports 10 devices and has no Ethernet connectivity (for my NAS, TV, etc), so does the following Heath-Robinson solution sound like it would work...

Connect the Mi Fi (via wireless) to my RE2000 Range Extender. Use the Ethernet port on the Range Extender to plug into the Ethernet (Internet-in) port on my Linksys router/modem and use the routers Ethernet (LAN) ports to connect to my NAS, TV, Games console, power line extenders, etc.

I would need to switch off DHCP on the Mi Fi unit and switch it on on the router (so that I can connect more than 10 devices and route iPlayer etc traffic through my VPN provider). I guessI would need to turn off the wireless on the Linksys router (as I don't think it has an option to repeat the Wireless signal of the Mi Fi), but that is OK as it would be sitting next to the RE2000 unit anyway.

The alarm bell is sounding with "games console".

Wireless adds latency versus Ethernet.

Wireless repeated to wireless again will add more latency. It will become the weak-spot of the setup.

Although we use 4G for our home connection I've avoided Mi-Fi style devices because the signal is unlikely to be strong enough to make it around the house.

A router box is the optimal solution - something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GHK3XOC/

You could also look at the B593 model (warning: expensive). That's a small office type piece of kit which seems well-specified and more "heavyweight".

The challenge may or may not be getting an edition of either that works with the frequencies in Qatar.

One more thing: 4G requires dual antennae. The router boxes have these built in, like the Mi-Fi. You may or again may not (it's all a bit vague when it comes to mobile broadband though you can be more scientific by measuring the db signal strength and assessing where the cells are - that's for later) get better performance with a pair of antennae on your roof or mounted above a window. The router box will give you this upgrade option, the Mi-Fi will not.

I'm going through DynDns as I don't have a fixed IP at home. My home router reports the current IP address to DynDns and they forward my request. So yes, by IP address.

I can't change the name servers on my pocket mobile router. At home, on a proper router, I use Google's DNS servers which seem to be as good as any.

Edit: Correction, I'm connecting to DynDns by name and from there to my cameras by IP.

It could be some sort of pairing or routing issue with the proxy provider.

One suggestion would be to try another one on a free trial, maybe with a UK based IP, and see if it's any better.

Thanks DTMark

The 4G router box looks like it is the way to go, but sourcing one here is going to be difficult. I dropped into a small Ooredoo store (local telecoms supplier) to ask what options they had for connecting 4G to my Home Network but the salesman didn't even know what an Ethernet cable was! I will try a larger stores this weekend but I'm not holding out much hope. Hence I am looking at ways to connect the E5776 to my network using my existing kit until I can get a proper 4G router box shipped here.

My neighbours have E5776s and they get a good 4G connection (4 or 5 bars and download speeds close to 30Mbit/s) so reception is not an issue. The games console is not used for online gaming so I'm not too worried about latency.

With my limited network knowledge I think I should be able to connect my wireless range extender to the E5776 and then hook that to my router using the Ethernet cable. Once that is done I plan to turn off DHCP on the Mi Fi unit and turn it on at the router. I think that will then let me connect my wired and wireless devices together and to the Internet, let me overcome the 10 device limit of the E5776 and use my routers features to direct iPlayer and 4OD traffic via my VPN supplier (as I do at the moment). Does this sound like a work-able set up?

It sounds workable, with the caveat that I haven't come across anyone who has done this, this way.

But: if you don't need to buy anything new, the risk is nil, and so it has to be worth a try for the purpose of getting something that works immediately; I don't see any "show-stoppers".

You did, but David Icke's hooked-up some home-made Tesla-coils near the transmitter, and is sucking up all the island's bandwidth...!

XYY

I get 74 meg on my Infinity BB. Brilliant for here. Thank goodness I don't live in the cuds, where some are still confined to dial-up!!

>>It sounds workable...

Update: The man is the store claimed that their wired broadband routers could share the internet connection of the E5776 via the USB connection... I had one of their wired routers so gave it a shot, but that turned out to be bulls**t.

After a bit of head scratching I have a work-able set up. MiFi unit on the top floor, RE2000 Range Extender (crucially with an Ethernet port) in the same room (for a good wireless connection). The RE2000 is then connect to a PLE400 power line adapter. I then have a PLW400 on the ground floor to extend the wireless signal and the Ethernet port is hooked into an old modem/router (with WLAN and DHCP turned off) so I can use the Ethernet ports on that to connect the Xbox, NAS drive and WDTV.

The wireless signal wasn't carrying well on the middle floor so I dug out an old WAP54G I picked up for a tenner ages ago. Turns out the built-in firmware is crippled (only works as an Access Point with other kit in the same product range) so I flashed it with DD-WRT and followed their instructions to configure it as a Repeater Bridge (for both wireless and Ethernet).

My old router which I could configure to send iPlayer and 4OD traffic via a VPN service died while trying to reconfigure it, maybe I'll have another crack at it later, but now it is all working I'm reluctant to change anything and the SmartVPN service was a bit flakey anyway; I often got the 'Not available in your country' messages about 25% of the time.

I now have 5 to 15Mb/s throughout the house, but it did take about 8 hours of fekking about with kit.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm now connecting to HPC through 4G and no issues so far (just the usual problem of the commenting system not working properly on IE11, hence no quotes in my replies).

Sounds like a result.

To get Quote to work, click the icon in the top left hand corner of the reply box to put it into plain text mode.

Then you can click Quote and optionally, then put it back in HTML editing mode.

Don't click any of the "insert" buttons or anything which causes a popup overlay to come up, as you cannot close it again and you lose whatever you typed behind it.

Almost a year later and I think I've finally fixed the problem of erratic forum response when using 4G network.

Two days ago, I installed "Data Saver (Beta)" extension for Chrome browser and in addition to cutting my data usage by about 20% (or so it reports), the forum is much faster. Apparently it routes my traffic through Google's servers and compresses it.