House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Voting Ukip Because You Can't Send An Email!

According to Labour, people vote UKIP because they are stupid! If only they voted Labour, they'd be really clever.

According to Labour, people vote UKIP because they are stupid! If only they voted Labour, they'd be really clever.

Insulting the voters.

A guaranteed route to electoral success.

Pretty clear who are the dumb ones here.

clutching at straws comes to mind.

If I google "Nigel farage" I get 2.3 million results. Ed miliband gets just 1.5 million

UKIP has 173,000 youtube results, "labour party" uk 69,200 (despite being a party with 90 years more history)

I didn't read the article because I presumed it was just one of many pieces of propaganda designed to (enter irony mode) gently nudge those daft enough to have become disillusioned enough with the Conservatives to consider voting UKIP, back to voting Conservative again.

The Telegraph uses Nigel Farage as a kind of stick with which to beat David Cameron.

"See Dave, this man has some ideas. He's not really *our* kind of man though. But you need to counter the threat"

My impression is that the majority of UKIP voters are the perfect Telegraph reader profile - 50 plus, white, British, call themselves Christian, bigoted, with a rosy view of history, patriotic to what the UK was (as opposed to what it is) and want the clock rolled back to 1950.

For the sake of clarification I completely agree with Farage's stance and views on the European Union and the above is slightly tongue-in-cheek, but only slightly.

My feeling

I didn't read the article because I presumed it was just one of many pieces of propaganda designed to (enter irony mode) gently nudge those daft enough to have become disillusioned enough with the Conservatives to consider voting UKIP, back to voting Conservative again.

The Telegraph uses Nigel Farage as a kind of stick with which to beat David Cameron.

"See Dave, this man has some ideas. He's not really *our* kind of man though. But you need to counter the threat"

My impression is that the majority of UKIP voters are the perfect Telegraph reader profile - 50 plus, white, British, call themselves Christian, bigoted, with a rosy view of history, patriotic to what the UK was (as opposed to what it is) and want the clock rolled back to 1950.

For the sake of clarification I completely agree with Farage's stance and views on the European Union and the above is slightly tongue-in-cheek, but only slightly.

I think your impression suits the general media narrative but there is a very strong support among working and lower middle class. Lots of very pro-UKIP noises from middle and lower ranks at work. If UKIP was still just the Jag driving golf club crowd, you're describing, it would be no threat.

I actually thought that New Labour did deserve genuine credit for reducing bigotry and prejudice against minorities and that political correctness, as a general concept, had worked to some extent. In hindsight it looks increasingly like it didn't in reality and although the language used in public was, albeit somewhat forcibly, changed it looks like private views disappointingly remain the same.

It is hard to see the wood from the trees on what the average UKIP voter's true views are amongst the media smear campaign though.

My feeling

I think your impression suits the general media narrative but there is a very strong support among working and lower middle class. Lots of very pro-UKIP noises from middle and lower ranks at work. If UKIP was still just the Jag driving golf club crowd, you're describing, it would be no threat.

I actually thought that New Labour did deserve genuine credit for reducing bigotry and prejudice against minorities and that political correctness, as a general concept, had worked to some extent. In hindsight it looks increasingly like it didn't in reality and although the language used in public was, albeit somewhat forcibly, changed it looks like private views disappointingly remain the same.

It is hard to see the wood from the trees on what the average UKIP voter's true views are amongst the media smear campaign though.

I think it did quite the reverse in all honesty, as you say all it did was push it underground and make it all the more nasty. When it was out in the open it was a vehicle to vent frustrations and tensions but on the whole it was all rather tame. Those who were generally not racist at all, but used the odd offensive term as a description (**** Shop being possibly the best example) now felt labelled as complete racists and so I would imagine felt they might as well act on or hold the more extreme end of views.

Probably one of the most bizarre claims why people are voting UKIP.

From what I can see most see it as some sort of "protest" vote. I think that is a bit difficult for the established politicos to grasp so they are desperately looking for a scapegoat (ironically the real reason people vote UKIP)

Quite funny really.

From what I can see most see it as some sort of "protest" vote. I think that is a bit difficult for the established politicos to grasp so they are desperately looking for a scapegoat (ironically the real reason people vote UKIP)

Quite funny really.

Working class .. protesting against immigration, lack of jobs (and housing), perception of out of touch Labour party.

Telegraph-reading class.. Anti-EU, dislike of social liberalism, perception of out of touch Conservative party.

+ Protest 'we hate all politicians' vote.

Course they didn't change how people feel.

Ordinary people watching how their neighbourhoods change, how the media portrays the UK - any random street scene in London on the news - watch and make notes next time you see any 'uk' pictures.

They made people feel bad, dirty and angry for not being able to express their feelings over concerns about their own jobs, their children's futures and jobs.

Bigot-gate was a case in point.

That woman wasn't a bigot. She's seen the real world changing around her and doesn't like it.

The only thing political correctness achieved is to massively alienate large chunks of the electorate and make it abundantly clear just how authoritarian and holier than thou they are. When UKIP talks about 'metropolitan elites' the only reason it strikes home is because of things like PC. Certainly I will never vote Labour given they seem to use Ingsoc as a role model on a whole range of issues. Complete barstewards. At least the Tories kicked the ID card stuff into the long grass, just imagine what would have happened if Brown got another term to play with. We wouldn't have a single liberty left.

And really, the only party in town that even makes noises about dismantling this repression is UKIP. Ironic that Labour supporters, of all people, label them fascists.

Lots of people are blowing Chuka out of the water on this one for his quite obvious idiocy. Fact is that UKIP has a greater online presence than any other party, in fact it's the only area in politics where they outclass the others - if anybody doubts a simple Google search can verify, or a comparison of how many people watch UKIP speeches on youtube versus any of the other muppets. UKIP is doing well because of the internet, not in spite of it. In the past, the media would have shut them down, only the internet has given them a chance.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/douglascarswellmp/100276828/no-chuka-voters-are-angry-because-they-are-online/

That woman wasn't a bigot. She's seen the real world changing around her and doesn't like it.

It's quite scary that apparently a narrative is being constructed where if you're not in favour of totally unrestricted migration then you're no better than an SS stormtrooper.

The odd thing about it all is that it's actually almost impossible for people to emigrate to the UK unless they are asylum seekers or from the EU unless you get married. I've had 2 well qualified friends (an American and a Russian) both had to leave under threat of deportation even though they had decent jobs lined up and the companies concerned were ready to deal with the Home Office on their behalf. So I guess that means the powers that be are actually bigoted racists? I dread to think what their motives truly are, because it seems to me that it's not possible to have an immigration policy which could actually do more damage to the country than the one we have, it is quite literally completely backwards. The people we should be letting in are turned away, the people who offer nothing are let in.

Ironically if UKIP was in charge and they went through with their points based immigration system I'm sure both my friends would qualify given they were young, English speaking graduates with jobs. As it is, they were given the boot.

Working class .. protesting against immigration, lack of jobs (and housing), perception of out of touch Labour party.

Telegraph-reading class.. Anti-EU, dislike of social liberalism, perception of out of touch Conservative party.

+ Protest 'we hate all politicians' vote.

Yes - I think that sums it up well.

Asking where East Europeans come from was to say the least a bit stupid.

I think many people see the world changing and don't like the changes. Virtually everyone on this forum sees house prices soaring away from the old "norm" of 3-4 times gross income and doesn't like it (I certainly don't). But change is inevitable and you either work with it or fall by the wayside. There is - and always has been - a section of the voters that want to believe in Ye Olde Englande, Major's old maids cycling to church. It didn't ever exist and certainly never will. It's time to move on. Living in the past is a (socially) conservative value and that section of the electorate are attracted to the UKIP BS - immigration, windmills, climate change - all the "let's pretend it isn't true" stuff. This is the big threat to the Tories who have positioned themselves as conservative and to the "New" bit of Labour who are trying (as Blair did) to appeal to the socially conservative.

I think UKIP therefore takes votes (probably in equal measure) from both parties. It crystalises the social conservatism issue around immigration. Mrs Duffy is a good example - the large number (real or imagined) of East Europeans probably exist mostly in the pages of the Daily Mail and a few towns here and there like Boston Lincs. There are none where I live but house prices are mental nevertheless.

Voting will not change the world. UKIP will certainly not change anything (just which bunch of useless troughers get the bribes and false expenses). Suggesting that Labour is losing votes to UKIP because people cannot use a browser is so utterly stupid that you do really wonder what planet politicians live on. At the end of the day they are just fighting over there bit of the trough.

It's quite scary that apparently a narrative is being constructed where if you're not in favour of totally unrestricted migration then you're no better than an SS stormtrooper.

The odd thing about it all is that it's actually almost impossible for people to emigrate to the UK unless they are asylum seekers or from the EU unless you get married. I've had 2 well qualified friends (an American and a Russian) both had to leave under threat of deportation even though they had decent jobs lined up and the companies concerned were ready to deal with the Home Office on their behalf. So I guess that means the powers that be are actually bigoted racists? I dread to think what their motives truly are, because it seems to me that it's not possible to have an immigration policy which could actually do more damage to the country than the one we have, it is quite literally completely backwards. The people we should be letting in are turned away, the people who offer nothing are let in.

Ironically if UKIP was in charge and they went through with their points based immigration system I'm sure both my friends would qualify given they were young, English speaking graduates with jobs. As it is, they were given the boot.

The EU is nothing to do with the UK immigration policy. The EU is a group of like minded countries formed (more or less) by the Treaty of Rome in 1957. The free movement of workers between these countries is a basic right of those workers. That is not an immigration policy - even though it facilitates movement between member states which we call immigration.

The UK has tough immigration rules - that's why your friends couldn't get their visa. The UK population wants tough immigration rules - we vote for them time and time again. UKIP is popular because it doesn't want immigration - we are, I am told, full up. That means no-one, including your friends. I am very sorry they didn't get in but then I think immigration is a good thing and we need more of it.

Farage lost me over the same-sex marriage bill by saying something along the lines of "it's a stupid idea because it will cause problems for the Church."

Uh-oh. Religious nutcase. Heaven forbid (!) that the Church should have to internally confront the same sorts of issues that have dogged it for years.

One minority group is more important than another and can curtail its freedoms. It's "my" group of people. I'm not ruling for everyone.

Danger lies this way. State and religion should never come together and religion should never, ever come into legislation.

Bye then.

But he's absolutely right about Europe and I thank him sincerely for pushing that agenda, he's highly entertaining, and whether or not I agree with his principles, at least he has some.

And I think it's that aspect, actually more so than the Europe "thing", which attracts people to him. Rare moments of honesty in politics. And I do think that were he in power, he'd hang onto those principles.

The EU is nothing to do with the UK immigration policy. The EU is a group of like minded countries formed (more or less) by the Treaty of Rome in 1957. The free movement of workers between these countries is a basic right of those workers. That is not an immigration policy - even though it facilitates movement between member states which we call immigration.

The UK has tough immigration rules - that's why your friends couldn't get their visa. The UK population wants tough immigration rules - we vote for them time and time again. UKIP is popular because it doesn't want immigration - we are, I am told, full up. That means no-one, including your friends. I am very sorry they didn't get in but then I think immigration is a good thing and we need more of it.

Correct sort of - but it is still smoke. Most people think of Poles and Romanians working here as immigrants, whereas technically they aren't due to our membership of the EU.

But 'technically'. They are really. All that's happened is that we've ceded all border control when it comes to EU nations as part of the deal.

And I've heard UKIP talk about immigration plenty, and points based rules come up a lot. So assuming they do what they say they will do, I'm sure my friends could've stayed here, and even with far less migration overall (as presumably the drawbridge would be raised and a lot of less skilled EU wannabe migrants would not get in). The irony is not lost on me, but it's still true.

Farage lost me over the same-sex marriage bill by saying something along the lines of "it's a stupid idea because it will cause problems for the Church."

Uh-oh. Religious nutcase. Heaven forbid (!) that the Church should have to internally confront the same sorts of issues that have dogged it for years.

Didn't get that impression at all. IIRC he was in favour of gay marriage but against the notion of forcing the Church to conduct the ceremonies, which seems very much fair enough to me. I wouldn't want to force priests to do something against their beliefs - the key word there is "force".

Though I suppose given the CoE is a state church you could argue that they need to put up and shut up if they still want the privileges of being the state church.

...assuming they do what they say they will do,...

We are talking politicians here. None of them ever do what they say they will do. :D

Anyway the eggs are broken, the omlette made. People are here from other EU states and Brits are there, working retired, running businesses, marrying and having kids. To unscramble the mess now would cost billions and ruin countless lives. Whatever it's merits it will not happen, whether anyone votes for it or not.

The strange thing is that the UK was one of the main cheerleaders for the rapid eastward expansion of the EU to include the ex-Warsaw Pact countries, while countries like Germany and France were rather less enthusiastic about the idea.

The strange thing is that the UK was one of the main cheerleaders for the rapid eastward expansion of the EU to include the ex-Warsaw Pact countries, while countries like Germany and France were rather less enthusiastic about the idea.

Allies to help fight the Franco-German Axis were anticipated is why. Not sure the views of the plebs factored in.

That said, from my PoV, I got 0 problem with Poles and such coming over here, I think in general they are awesome people. The lack of housing and infrastructure investment commensurate with the increased population was a major error though, and calling everybody who didn't like it a nazi was too.

Allies to help fight the Franco-German Axis were anticipated is why. Not sure the views of the plebs factored in.

That said, from my PoV, I got 0 problem with Poles and such coming over here, I think in general they are awesome people. The lack of housing and infrastructure investment commensurate with the increased population was a major error though, and calling everybody who didn't like it a nazi was too.

There's name-calling on both sides. I, personally, have never called anyone a nazi for wanting to severely restrict immigration. I tend to view such people more as cultural nimbys, determined to keep their own neighbourhood and way of life unchanged despite the greater inconvenience it might cause to others.

Labour may have a point, many labour voters are now very skilled.

Many people, since Tony Blairs Government of 1997, have learned to strip and re assemble an AK-47.

An they sure know how to use the internet.

Edit for spelling