House Price Crash Forum

I'm looking around to see where to get reasonable interest and came across Relendex on the Money Advice Service website. They're advertising interest of up to 10% payable quarterly.

If anyone has invested with them what are your opinions of them?

Edited by sleepwello'nights

Wow, that's some good rates and it's all backed by property so absolutely no risk to your cash at all! :P

Question: If you really want a liquid position in the property game, why wouldn't you just buy shares in house builders or possible even EA's?

Edited by renting til I die

Well for one I don't know of any major house builder whose shares yield 10%. I take it you haven't lent any money through them.

Maybe I should look harder for a plot of land and build a house myself. Using the old rule of thumb, 1/3 land, 1/3 build, 1/3 profit then the return is much greater than any savings account or company share.

I've used zopa and funding circle.

Zopa have been at it a while now. Good rate of return, easy to use system, real peer to peer stuff. Good customer service too. Defo a recommend.

Funding circle...painful to use. Constant stream of "emails", they seem to be getting jeavily into property and i'm running down my small investment with them. Defo NOT a recommend.

Not used any others but thought I'd chip in with my two-penth.

Well for one I don't know of any major house builder whose shares yield 10%. I take it you haven't lent any money through them.

Maybe I should look harder for a plot of land and build a house myself. Using the old rule of thumb, 1/3 land, 1/3 build, 1/3 profit then the return is much greater than any savings account or company share.

You are quite right none of those shares pay a yeild of anything near 10%. I was being sarcastic... (you would obviously make up the difference through capital gains! :P)

I did look the site up and was sarcastic, as the site only seems to lend to commerical and residential property developers (and possible rentiers), so all eggs in one basket springs to mind.

I did notice the 'Renewable Energy Asset Development' which I found somewhat interesting but is likely just a loan to a construction firm who is putting them up.

However, this 10% (which will only be returned on the riskiest investments) is not going to be risk free and you would have to lock the cash away for up to 5 years. In a similar way to other peer to peer lenders do, Zopa current offer 5.1% max and Funding circle 6.1%. I can't really see how Relendex can offer what they call 'secured leaning' at a higher rate than what these fairly established peer to peer lenders do without additional risk.

I have used Zopa in the past, with no problems but I want to be able to access my cash quickly nowdays and the easy access rates on these site aren't much better (if at all) than a bank account.

If the understanding that there may be additional risk doesn't put you off, you could try Relendex out with a small amount of cash. Then you will find out what they are like to use and if their bold claims of a 10% return are true.

Here is some sites with additional information about them:

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/savings-investments-pensions/savings/21429/relendex-new-peertopeer-property-investment

http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/06/19/relendex-new-peer-to-peer-property-investment/

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21579017-innovative-new-lenders-are-easing-credit-crunch-british-firms-new-middlemen

Possible problems:

http://bridgingandcommercial.co.uk/article-desc.php?id=3322&title=relendex-on-verge-of-p2p-failure#.U6dzM6bWHCI

As for buying land and building yourself, good luck with that. I have been looking for a plot for some time now but the asking prices seem to be just as out of this world as the already build prices are. Too much land banking going on with the big developers, I suppose!

Edited by renting til I die

According to my calculations, in the 15 months since I've been with Zopa, I'm getting about 3.88%, and in the same period with Funding Circle, it's 5.78%, although for the latter I'm picking companies to lend to manually which is quite a bit more work than the zero effort I put into Zopa.