House Price Crash Forum

Aga's What's The Deal?

southmartin

HOLA441

Yes, AGA'a - those 'on all the time oven' things.

Are they any good? How efficient i it to leave the thing on all the time (especially in summer) seems v bad idea to have it belting heat out all day when it's 22 degrees outside.

But if you turn it down, you can't cook...

Any AGA owners out there to offer some tips?

HOLA442

Lovely to look at.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/jan/16/response-agas-class-george-monbiot

"The 13-amp electric Aga came out five years ago. "Intelligent" gas and electric programmable models, which only reach cooking temperature when actually needed, have come out in the last two years, and now make up half of our sales."

Assuming you have an older one:
Hugely inefficient?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Absolutely fantastic things, the heart of the home all winter. Have one now but about to move so will be gone.

I get hot water and the house warmed and dried by it but it goes off in April to be replaced by an electric for the summer. Otherwise you are paying to heat an already hot kitchen and will need fans to cool the room.

If you have the money and the space don't hesitate, you won't regret it. It's a cliche but they do make a house a home.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Do you want to look like a middle class food buff with a Hugh Fernly Whittingstall type lifestyle, but secretly can`t make toast without a Youtube How-to video? Buy an Aga!

Ha ha! I like that! You dont need an Aga to cook properly

HOLA448

Frying eggs on car bonnets! That'll be the day Brigadoon appears, then. :lol:

Aye, they'll be done in a fortnight!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

They are staggeringly inefficient. The real lunacy is the electric ones - which run on fuel 4x the price of gas.

I'm told that you should expect about £100-200 per month running costs for an electric one. They are also a menace in Summer, as the heat produced is immense which turns the kitchen into a sauna.

That said, they are a bit of a luxury, if you like that sort of thing, and a talking point among the middle classes. But if, like all luxuries, you can pay for it, why not? Just don't underestimate the costs.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Used to live in a shared house with an oil fired one and amazingly the landlord paid for the oil. I can't say I got particularly sentimental about it, especially after nearly being gassed a couple of times when it broke down and started belching oil fumes throughout the house.

It did, however, mean that at least one room of the house was always warm and provided one hilarious story to recount too.

There was a neighbouring cat that liked come and to sit on a high stool next to the Aga. One day, someone threw out the kitchen door with a terrific bang, and the cat was so surprised it jumped a good 2 feet in the air onto the hot plate. Remember the scene in Alien where it pops out of the John Hurt's chest and then disappears a bit sharpish like? The cat made a similar noise, and was equally fast across the kitchen and out of the door.

It was weeks before it returned to the kitchen for a warm.

HOLA4414

I used to service AGA's about 10-12 years ago.

The oil price then wasn't too bad and people would comment on how pricey it was to run. The cost now has shot up for oil.

If you have a nice big pad with big kitchen that you use a lot they are ace for heating it, winter must be nice and cosy.

Most then were either oil or gas, some solid fuel ones.

A lot of people turn them off June-Oct and then have call outs Oct especially. The farmers were renowned for trying to fix them theirselves and ******ing them up.

HOLA4415

I used to service AGA's about 10-12 years ago.

The oil price then wasn't too bad and people would comment on how pricey it was to run. The cost now has shot up for oil.

If you have a nice big pad with big kitchen that you use a lot they are ace for heating it, winter must be nice and cosy.

Most then were either oil or gas, some solid fuel ones.

A lot of people turn them off June-Oct and then have call outs Oct especially. The farmers were renowned for trying to fix them theirselves and ******ing them up.

Sounds like it would work well with a solar water heating array. Complimentary.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Look the part, make for a very cosy home in winter, but cost loads to run, require a summer alternative, and most importantly a right royal pain in the derrier to cook on/in (unless you like the idea that temp should be variable according to precise location on top/in oven, time of year, duration of cooking etc etc.

'Intuitive' is a very kind way of looking at it, imo. More like you need to live with it for 20 years to learn its peculiar habits and not continually under/overcook your food!

If you like cooking then much better to get a top-of-the-range gas burner, a 5 hob jobby like they use in pro kitchens. You're welcome. :)

HOLA4421

When I last lived in Donegal, in the mid 80s, heating oil was red diesel was heating oil.

Of course it is! Not for road transport!

HOLA4422

Would love to have one. Would love to have a kitchen big enough for an AGA and a regular oven (summer use, for the purpose of). Would love 30 acres with a Grade II listed 6-bed thatched farmhouse. Would love a Range Rover. Would love to win the lottery to afford all of this.

Archived