House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dorkins

Mps To Debate Renting

Just received this email (note: I have no connection to this organisation other than somehow ending up on their mailing list):

Friend --

I hope you don't mind me getting in touch.

Next Wednesday MPs will be debating the Private Rented Sector in parliament and we were hoping you might contact your MP on our behalf. We are aiming to get MPs to support our renters' manifesto in the debate. If you're interested in contacting your MP please follow this link.

Many thanks for your support.

Alex Hilton
Director, Generation Rent

http://www.generationrent.org/

If you follow the link it turns out there is a debate on private renting in the House of Commons on the 25th of June. I decided not to use the Generation Rent webform to contact my MP and instead went to her constituency website to write my own message asking her to show up and start doing something about the length of tenancies and letting agent fees.

Thought I would share this in case any other HPCers also want to bother their elected representatives about the upcoming debate. Sometimes a bit of prodding can go a long way.

Edited by Dorkins

My Labour MP refuses to respond to hails or tweets. From what I can gather from his Twitter feed he has an ear glued and rants away at Radio 4 in the morning.

Edited by aSecureTenant

There are over 9 million private renters in Britain increasingly getting a rough deal from landlords and letting agents. We’d like you write to your MP asking them to back our renters’ manifesto to create a fair and sustainable rental market for both tenants and landlords.
We’re also calling for a secondary, bubble-free housing market for those people who just want to buy or rent a home for a reasonable cost rather than an investment at a high cost.
Click here to contact your MP now!

Generation Rent.

I really hate that name.

Doakes: Jesus Christ Morgan. Jesus F Christ you're the Bay Harbour Butcher.
Dexter: I really hate that name.

Although recognise they do at least lobby for improved rights, and offer some challenge to the VI. They receive funding from Nationwide Foundation - of the Nationwide BS - yet their work totally independent of the building society.

Can't we have, 'Generation Young Repossess The Landlords/Jumbo Debtors',' Generation Young; QE/FLS Cheated Us and Saved The VI and dumped even more of the the problem all on young independent people.'

Considering half our MPs are Buy2Let landlords, I don't have high hopes for this debate.

Thats just the MPs, it doesnt include B2L's in their partner/spouses name.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've already emailed my MP to find out his policy on housing. We're in East Surrey, and all I have seen on his website is NIMBYISM about protecting the green belt. There is so much space here (well, at least for the 5+ golf courses within a ten minute drive).

I'll follow up to ask about this debate.

Thats just the MPs, it doesnt include B2L's in their partner/spouses name.

Good point.

They should all have to declare an interest, and not participate in the debate/vote.

Update from Priced Out's facebook page:

Labour lose the vote on reform for the Private Rental Sector including motions for
- standard 3 year tenancy agreements
- banning letting agency fees for tenants
- a national register of Landlords
The vote goes against Labour's motion for urgent reform of the private rented sector by 276 to 226. MPs cant seem to grasp that Landlords & Agencies are offering a service that tenants pay actual money for - of course they should be regulated. The landlord - tenant relationship epitomises "the thumb" that this Govt seeks to keep us all under.

Seems clear that Labour are pitching for the private sector renter vote. I think Tories like George Osborne and Kris Hopkins would feel physically revulsed at the idea of private sector renters voting for them and are setting policy accordingly. I suppose the Lib Dems are being reluctantly dragged in the Tories' wake in the name of "making tough decisions to show we are a Party Of Government".

Edited by Dorkins

Labour's proposals are incredibly feeble anyway. The only one that's worth anything is banning fees. It's tokenism designed to attract votes without actually changing anything. Anybody voting Labour has a very short memory.

How about a Right to Buy for private tenants? Or taxing multiple home ownership? Landlords are monopolising a scarce resource and increasing inequality. Their greed is damaging and should bear a cost.

One house per person is more than enough.

The transcript reads in part like a very tedious internet thread. Many of those contributing refer to the members register of interests so the BTLers out in force. Can't see any reference to the laxity of Labour's proposed eviction clauses, although I must say I've not read it all yet.

Well, that was a waste of time. McDonnell made a useful contribution, albeit a bit OTT, as did Dobson. Lucas too.

Tory view espoused by John Stevenson, is that families enjoy the flexibility to be whanged at 2 months' notice. LL might want to sell up so why should they offer greater duration ASTs?

Plenty of support for struggling BTLers, who are providing a family with a home. And 'accidental' LLs get sympathy, they can't be liberate to sell for a number of reasons so we can't hamstring them by demanding a commitment to longer tenancies.

Social conservatives who actually believe in stable housing tenure as a bedrock of community cohesion are in short supply these days. Most of them are in the Labour Party it seems.

I really hope Labour get their act together on housing.

Labour just want to meddle, nothing they proposed was treating the problem, only the symptoms.

Abolish most of the planning laws, problem solved.

Labour just want to meddle, nothing they proposed was treating the problem, only the symptoms.

Abolish most of the planning laws, problem solved.

And legally restrict lending multiples, loan to value and term duration.

And legally restrict lending multiples, loan to value and term duration.

Honestly not sure what to do about banking. On the one hand I prefer to let the market run it. But on the other hand, banking is basically legalised fraud, so it's something of a special case.

Full reserve banking perhaps is the solution? Not sure.