House Price Crash Forum

Get Your Hankies Ready For The Mother Who Lives On £100,000 A Year - But Still Moans She's Broke

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2661705/Get-hankies-ready-mother-lives-100-000-year-STILL-moans-shes-broke.html

• Vast expenses, including two sets of school fees and a flat in Kensington, leave Mel Fallowfield with little of her husband's £100,000 salary
  • Family resorts to eating leftovers and food from bins
  • Says she is the victim of economic changes hitting the middle classes
  • Constantly in fear her precarious finances will crumble
  • Admits problems are her own fault for over spending

Last week, I stood outside the school gates and had a frantic whispered conversation with my bank manager on my mobile phone.

I needed to cancel the £97 due to go out the next day to pay the gas bill or I wouldn’t have enough money to buy food.

The reason I was whispering? My seven-year-old son Ed attends an exclusive prep school in Chelsea, West London, and one of the other mums was walking towards me.

The "middle class" no better off those on the dole? Perhaps she should have got a wonga loan to buy the food?

Although perhaps £100k in London effectively means you are nothing more than traditional working class and you should just accept it and put your kids in school with the rest of the commoners?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

She whispers over the phone to the gas company outside the school gates, and then announces in a national newspaper that she's flat broke! Maybe she's betting that none of the other mums read the DM.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

spot on

HOLA445

Okay, so if you spend everything you earn, then you are going to be broke.

But I call BS on this article. If she was so worried about other mums on the school run over hearing that she was having financial issues, why on earth would you have a huge article in a national paper with all the pictures.

Some people spend every penny they have and permanently live out of their overdraft, others always have a positive balance. The amount of income you have almost seems irrelevant.

On a separate note I find it a little frustrating that 100K is seen as a large household income and 30 - 40k is seen as a good income. We really need to see massive wage inflation in this country as incomes have been declining for decades.

HOLA446

"When it comes to our mortgage, were tied into a fixed rate costing well over £1,000. Unlike other more financially savvy people, we didnt get a tracker that would have saved us hundreds because of low interest rates."

They must have all foreseen interest rates at a record low 0.5% and opted for those deals!

HOLA447

"While in the past those with a household income equivalent to £100,000-plus would expect to own a decent-sized home, enjoy good holidays and be able to put their children through private school, static salaries combined with rising house prices and school fees have made it almost impossible."

At least she's highlighting the damage that 20% housing cost inflation will have on the economy of London.

London weighting will have to rocket if any firm wishes to stay in London.

Bojo will have a real balancing act on his hands if he's to be re-elected, trying to get both those for and against HPI will be neigh on impossible.

HOLA448
HOLA449

"While in the past those with a household income equivalent to £100,000-plus would expect to own a decent-sized home, enjoy good holidays and be able to put their children through private school, static salaries combined with rising house prices and school fees have made it almost impossible."

At least she's highlighting the damage that 20% housing cost inflation will have on the economy of London.

London weighting will have to rocket if any firm wishes to stay in London.

Bojo will have a real balancing act on his hands if he's to be re-elected, trying to get both those for and against HPI will be neigh on impossible.

Given that schools are less of an issue outside of London, and housing vastly cheaper.. London weighting would have to be extreme. I think I'd have to multiply my salary by a factor of 3 or 4 to have a similar lifestyle (House, Commute, decent schools) to my current one and live in London.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Poor fecking husband. Earns a good salary, his wife wastes it.

Maybe the vanity is a mental illness. Those pics are far from flattering despite the designer clothes. Without wanting to be cruel, if someone said they were the after photos in a brochure for a gender re-alignment clinic I wouldnt be hugely surprised.

Perhaps the sparkly trinkets, kids in posh schools, Audi, Moschino, 'Cartier darling!' skiing, carribean, mulberry and associations with supermodel and world class footballer are a crutch for a self conscious woman with an overwhelming inferiority complex.

I think she has psychological issues which need to be addressed.

HOLA4412

Typical DM fare - about someone their readers will love to hate, scorn and revile for being such a silly b*tch with all the sense of her kids' hamster.

I bet their journalists are constantly on the lookout for any friend or acquaintance who would fit the bill for a fee - and who won't mind a lot of exaggeration, let alone give a toss what DM readers think.

HOLA4413

Poor fecking husband. Earns a good salary, his wife wastes it.

Maybe the vanity is a mental illness. Those pics are far from flattering despite the designer clothes. Without wanting to be cruel, if someone said they were the after photos in a brochure for a gender re-alignment clinic I wouldnt be hugely surprised.

Perhaps the sparkly trinkets, kids in posh schools, Audi, Moschino, 'Cartier darling!' skiing, carribean, mulberry and associations with supermodel and world class footballer are a crutch for a self conscious woman with an overwhelming inferiority complex.

I think she has psychological issues which need to be addressed.

Someone on this kind of income in 2004 would be living the life of Reilly...they've not worked Reilly's dead.

HOLA4414

To be far, £60-70K of that £100K goes in tax ( into the pockets of the undeserving public sector ).

That only leaves £30-40K for actual spending.

Can anyone see what the other problem we face might be ?

According to http://www.listentotaxman.com/index.php

A salary of £100k would give you a take home of £65k. So that's actually £35k (Note that if employer's NI is included, it's a tax of £47k of 112k.

Innumeracy is a bit of a problem, yes..

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

To be far, £60-70K of that £100K goes in tax ( into the pockets of the undeserving public sector ).

That only leaves £30-40K for actual spending.

Can anyone see what the other problem we face might be ?

Their main problem appears to be they need a better accountant.

35K for income and NI contributions, so that's 65K left. Even after council tax (2-3K tops) they should still be comfortably better off than most. Indeed they are if they can privately educate their kids. I do well but can't afford that.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

A salary of £100k would give you a take home of £65k. So that's actually £35k (Note that if employer's NI is included, it's a tax of £47k of 112k.

Good job that's the only taxes we pay!

As others have said £100k isn't much in london if you want a normal family life and don't want to send your kids to some ghettotastic school where they'll be killed on a daily basis.

HOLA4420

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2661705/Get-hankies-ready-mother-lives-100-000-year-STILL-moans-shes-broke.html

The "middle class" no better off those on the dole? Perhaps she should have got a wonga loan to buy the food?

Although perhaps £100k in London effectively means you are nothing more than traditional working class and you should just accept it and put your kids in school with the rest of the commoners?

Why did I know that this was going to be a 'Daily Mail' story before I even clicked the thread?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The tax bill doesn't stop at income tax and NI does it? Or am i missing a way to fiddle VAT, council tax, road tax, various duty, various energy subsidies in my energy bill etc etc. Please share.

HOLA4423

Private schooling is not affordable on 100K. That's the problem.

It is

£100k gross is £65k net

Private school costs vary by age and location, but typically £16k in London at senior age, perhaps £13k junior.

With two kids, that leaves still £33k to spend, which while not a fortune, is enough to get by. Not remotely rich at all, but it's doable.

HOLA4424

Someone like this could be on a million a year and she'd still be complaining, because she hasn't grasped the basic idea that you have to cut your coat according to your cloth.

She's got it all the wrong way round. She builds up an idea of how she thinks she is entitled to live, and then complains because her income doesn't stretch to it.

It's not your income that matters, it's your expenditure.

HOLA4425

Someone like this could be on a million a year and she'd still be complaining, because she hasn't grasped the basic idea that you have to cut your coat according to your cloth.

She's got it all the wrong way round. She builds up an idea of how she thinks she is entitled to live, and then complains because her income doesn't stretch to it.

It's not your income that matters, it's your expenditure.

Where's Liz Jones these days?

This type of story is usually her forte:

"Why when I earn a six figure salary can I not afford to fill up the tank of my top of the range <insert prestige car make here> when stopping off wearing my <insert designer label here> boots and slik <insert designer label here> dress to buy some milk at the local garage staffed by some plain overweight woman wearing no make-up who looked like she got dressed in the dark."

Next week:

"My local garage has started being rude to me for no reason. It's so unfair, bloody yokels etc."

Archived