House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Anybody Bought A Satnav Recently

I need a new satnav.

My old Garmin Nuvi charged 89 dollars for an update for UK, ROI and WEU

I see that Tomtom now offer free maps for life, so that would be a better purchase.

Anybody with any recent experience/recommendations?

I just bought the cheapest I could find on ebay I see the same one for £25.99. EU maps free update works fine. But I can't say I have done an in depth study into them. Used it about 10 times and it has got me there which is all I ask.

Google maps on Android suddenly stopped working last month (when I was in the middle of nowhere in rural France). They did an upgrade (or more aptly a downgrade) which changed the entire functionality of the app. Even with GPS enabled, it only shows your approximate position, making it essentially useless for step-by-step driving instructions. It could have all been a case of user error, but the 2 hours that I spent unsuccessfully trying to get it to work left me feeling really unhappy that I'd left my old tomtom at home.

I've recently bought a map of Roman Britain!

I now know how to get to Lactodorum via Corinum!

I have two tom toms. They tend to stay in my bag these days as I tend to favour waze on my phone. You would need a suitable data contract but running the tomtom and Waze side by side waze was more useable and accurate with real time hold up avoidance.

I'm constantly disappointed by the stupidness of my rather expensive Garmin. I'd personally try a TomTom next as it can't possibly be any worse.

Galaxy. Android. Google maps.

Brodit fixing.

Google Maps generally needs 3G (although you can download certain routes to the device)...bit of a bugger if you're out in the sticks..The Tom Tom app at the mo, is 38 quid on Android - you download the maps, and AFAIK, free map updates..

Google Maps generally needs 3G (although you can download certain routes to the device)...bit of a bugger if you're out in the sticks..The Tom Tom app at the mo, is 38 quid on Android - you download the maps, and AFAIK, free map updates..

I really don't know what they've done to google maps, but it no longer works. For the past year, it's worked well, then two weeks ago, they changed the user interface and it no longer functions as a viable alternative to a tomtom.

I need a new satnav.

My old Garmin Nuvi charged 89 dollars for an update for UK, ROI and WEU

I see that Tomtom now offer free maps for life, so that would be a better purchase.

Anybody with any recent experience/recommendations?

The latest tomtom (go 500) is working okay for me. Compared to the older tomtom (go 300):

good: mostly does what it is meant to do when driving without causing trouble

good: speaks the street names aloud, kinda cool (with occasional amusing mispronouciations)

good: it is a slimmer device

good: it has a bigger screen

good: the touch screen works more iphone like with pinch to zoom etc

good: the device magentically sticks to the mount without fiddling around

good: map updates come for free

good: has lots of internal memory, no need for SD card

good: UI is pretty

bad: the speaking volume is not quite as loud, and possibly doesn't change based on ambient noise like the old one did (?)

bad: map updates are free but if you want speed camera updates they are still a paid extra

bad: it is not as customisable/hackable

bad: UI is a teeny bit fiddly and laggy but only marginally

bad: i generally had bad experiences trying to buy stuff on the tomtom web site and use the tomtom software on PC, not sure if this is still a problem.

Overall it is fine.

I bought a Tom Tom 20 with updates for life..A few differences between my old one (12 years old ..TomTom Go) and this, but mostly good and no real problems. A couple of niggles is that you have to detach it from windscreen totally whereas with old one you just slipped out of cradle to adjust away from vehicle, or pop into house with. The tightening mechanism that clamps the sucker on, seems too close to the windscreen for my fat fingers but I manage it ok. The screen is bigger and more visible for my tired eyes and can read without glasses..a few improvements with arrows confirming which lanes you should be in, when leaving or changing motorways etc..

Uses just postcodes or full addresses. Can go via somewhere. On the whole though worth the money and I believe Tom tom have the edge with the use of technology. Good value.

Get a nokia lumia windows phone as it comes with the excellent here sat nav app, offline functionality, free maps for the whole of Europe and free updates.

We have Tom Tom with live traffic for the van. It uses Vodafone data. I find it often cannot "see" the signal in the UK and you don't get the live traffic. Works OK in London. Also when I bought it there was Google search on it. This was really good and worth the subscription, but has been replaced by Tom Tom proprietary "places" or something like that and this is utter rubbish. The real-time speed camera thing is reasonable.

The traffic data is something you need doing deliveries, particularly as we use a section of the M25. I think the Tom Tom one is probably the best, but it grates on me every time I renew the subscription. Overpriced and poor customer service. I am tempted to buy a new unit to get the free map updates, but it seems a bit daft throwing a perfectly good unit away. No wonder the planet is falling apart at the seams.

I'll add another vote for TomTom.

I also can't be bothered connecting it up to a PC and trying to download new maps and content etc other than possibly the first time I get it just to make sure it's up to date.

I always go for the cheap one at around £100 - £120 ish with the European maps.

I reckon I've probably got about 6 years use out of the current one so far. Small, unobtrusive, easy to use, tool for the job.

I've tried built in sat navs and a sony satnav and never got on with them. I've got a colleague who uses a Garmin at the moment. He says it's ok but will probably go back to TomTom again next time.

Galaxy. Android. Google maps.

Brodit fixing.

I've been using Sygic for the last few years. TomTom were very tardy in bringing out an Android version, so when I changed from a Windows to an Android smartphone I was forced to find an alternative. TomTom is now available for Android but I'm sticking with Sygic, which uses TomTom maps and provides free updates twice a year. I have maps for the whole of Europe on my phone.

Google Maps does not fit my requirements as most of my driving is in mainland Europe and I need to have the maps resident in my machine, rather than using mobile data, whilst roaming, to download them in real time. Even in UK, where I have unlimited data, I find that Sygic is better because of bad reception areas, where Google Maps can't download data. Also, the interface is much nicer than Google Maps.

I think that after my experiences with the Garmin, it is the cost of map updating that annoys me so I will want free updating for life.

One thing that I did discover is that some of the ebay offerings say 'Free Maps'

What that means is ONE free map when you start

Got to say I am still wedded to maps....love the old 3" to one mile Bacon atlas of Great Britain with all that lovely colour relief and showing spot heights in feet not metres. Always use a 1964 A-Z in London....the streets in central London are absolutely unchanged.

I guess sat nav will eventually mean the concept of having a map in your head of the country, knowing the approximate position of every large town and city and knowiing north from south will one day be lost. Somehow not knowing your geographical position is losing your sense of place.

Got to say I am still wedded to maps....love the old 3" to one mile Bacon atlas of Great Britain with all that lovely colour relief and showing spot heights in feet not metres. Always use a 1964 A-Z in London....the streets in central London are absolutely unchanged.

I guess sat nav will eventually mean the concept of having a map in your head of the country, knowing the approximate position of every large town and city and knowiing north from south will one day be lost. Somehow not knowing your geographical position is losing your sense of place.

I'm a moderate maps obsessive.. thanks to the Geology fieldwork, I can still locate myself on a map by triangulation.

(Can't imagine how easy field mapping is nowadays - instant sat nav location, unlimited digital photos, write up as you go along.. at least as long as the batteries work)

My only problem is that my wife is not a maps obsessive.

I downloaded something from the Internet! I now know how to get from Cloaca to Perinium!

Bought a Garmin last year before a trip to Spain.

Life time updates and Western Euro maps for £89.99

Had previously been using Google Maps on my phone for a few years which worked very well, but I didn't want to rely on using my phone abroad.

I'm a fan of paper maps too. Having one spread out in front of you makes route planning much easier than squinting at a small screen.

I usually tear eye-holes in my maps so that I can still see where I am driving.