House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Killer Bunny

245 Bank Mgrs Lose Their Jobs

Bank managers allowed to do their job properly are something this country could actually do with . . .

In the old days, the bank manager would look after your money and lend you money to buy a house or set up a business when you could prove you could do it.

Today they are used to sell financial products.

All of our branches will continue to have a branch manager

I don't get it, are they closing branches, having fewer branch managers per branch, or having one branch manager per several branches?

Closing branches. HSBC have just written to us, notifying us that they are closing our nearest two branches, and the huge chain of Halifax Agencies went years ago. The Internet, ATMs and call-centres have made a lot of it redundant. Combined with bloody nosy staff who are bloody nosy because the HO policy is to question all fair-sized cash deposits (as if a money-launderer would do so on a scale of £1000 withdrawal or deposit!) and they equally have no say or discretion in the matter. Common-sense is not permitted, literally.

If branch managers have no say in the application processes for any service, from mortgages down to overdraft limits (and they don't, the computer says yes or no and there's no exceptions) then it's pointless having them. A branch manager now, is the equivalent of a junior section manager twenty years ago, in terms of actual authority. You may get a remaining ex-branch manager who is kept on, in his old branch and is given "responsibility" for the running of the nearest half-dozen branches on his "patch".

The concept of good customer service has been destroyed by f***ing bean-counters at the top, who think that the idea of allowing staff to have plenty of time to help elderly or financially-challenged customers, is lost "productivity". Perhaps they'll learn. I doubt it.

Barclays in windsor now consists of a bank of machines, 1 girl behind a tiny desk and about three or four staff who lurk about the place waiting for a chance to train some unsuspecting member of the public how the use the bank of machines- in effect they are being used to eliminate their own jobs.

Obviously the long term aim is for the branches to function as a glorified front end for the online service and eventually will be phased out as everyone switches to online banking.

Not sure the banks have thought this through however- once they become a purely online presence they will be no different to any of the other intermediaries out there, like the peer to peer lenders- so in the long run they may be destroying their own USP- those high street branches.

At the lloyds they seem to replace or rotate them every three months. I was initially pleased to see they'd replaced the greasy haired chav that denied me access to my money a few months ago, till the new one opened his mouth and could barely speak a word of english.

Under what rocks do they find such incompetence?

Bank managers allowed to do their job properly are something this country could actually do with . . .

Agreed.

Banks all went TU when they culled experienced lending managers in the 80s/90s until all that was left was centralised decision making on housing loans.

It's no wonder at all that small businesses aren't able to get finance. There's very few people left with the skills to understand how to lend to them.

No surprise then that it's RBS

Barclays in windsor now consists of a bank of machines, 1 girl behind a tiny desk and about three or four staff who lurk about the place waiting for a chance to train some unsuspecting member of the public how the use the bank of machines- in effect they are being used to eliminate their own jobs.

Obviously the long term aim is for the branches to function as a glorified front end for the online service and eventually will be phased out as everyone switches to online banking.

Not sure the banks have thought this through however- once they become a purely online presence they will be no different to any of the other intermediaries out there, like the peer to peer lenders- so in the long run they may be destroying their own USP- those high street branches.

Yup

My local Lloyds branch is looking distinctly tatty and a shadow of its former self.

I really don't know why they don't open a Costa Coffee or similar inside the branch,

My local Lloyds branch is looking distinctly tatty and a shadow of its former self.

I really don't know why they don't open a Costa Coffee or similar inside the branch,

In Worthing I think it was, when I passed through a while ago, the nationwide had a costa coffee next door that had a steady stream of OAPs going back and forwards. Generational poetry in motion.

Speaking of RBS - won't someone serve a FOI request on the government on why Fred's house has disappeared from Google?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ex-rbs-fred-shred-goodwins-home-disappears-google-street-view-1453456

Edited by wherebee

In Worthing I think it was, when I passed through a while ago, the nationwide had a costa coffee next door that had a steady stream of OAPs going back and forwards. Generational poetry in motion.

Speaking of RBS - won't someone serve a FOI request on the government on why Fred's house has disappeared from Google?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ex-rbs-fred-shred-goodwins-home-disappears-google-street-view-1453456

Hahahahahaha..

In case anyone is interested he lives in Oswald Road in Edinburgh (according to the article). Excuse me whilst I pop off to spam his address to a few more forums who have mindsets the same as ours..... <_<

I hardly think this is an event appropriate for schadenfreude... branch managers are harried cogs in a wheel, they make no decisions about lending policy.

A huge proportion of them (circa 100%) were involved in fraudulent 'mis-selling' of PPI though.

So I can't be bothered to shed even a crocodile tear for them.

HSBC is the largest organised crime syndicate in the world.

A huge proportion of them (circa 100%) were involved in fraudulent 'mis-selling' of PPI though.

So I can't be bothered to shed even a crocodile tear for them.

They were following established policy and practice. It went on in every bank - there is definitely something culturally rotten at a senior level in banking, the staff on the ground do not like it any more than you or I.

....as mentioned earlier the 'Bank Manager' as a role and profession finished just after the mid 80's when a new Banking Act made it impossible for trained individuals to make decisions and give customers advice or even a service...Banking in the UK High Street like the US became a a high pressure sales industry of financial products ..commission and bonus based....with 'Sales Managers' all over the place...we know where it all lead in the crash of 2007 ..and all the 'big' names who fell, having lived on past reputation for years... :rolleyes:

So all you need to do is look up Oswald Road, then the pixelated house is his?

They've made it even easier to locate the useless *******.........

Under what rocks do they find such incompetence?

Under the rocks marked 'Pay as little as you can to hire the people who deliver your companies services to the public'.

It always amazes me that companies fail to grasp the incredibly obvious reality that all the added value of a multi million pound management team and further millions spent on advertising and corporate id can be wiped out in second by a poorly delivered front line service.

I can only conclude that their profound contempt for the people they employ at a service delivery level makes recognizing their vital role nearly impossible.

I once came back to work one lunchtime to find the company 'mission statement' on my desk- a single sheet of A4 littered with the worst kind of HR inspirational bullshite detailing just how committed I and everyone else was to delivering excellence in customer service ect.

But what fascinated me was the fact that no one ever actually mentioned this to me- either before it arrived on my desk or afterward- not once, ever.

But I have no doubt that somewhere in the statosphere of management entire layers of suits were involved in the creation of this 'mission statement'- no doubt expensive consultants were employed to craft it and god know how much money spent.

But when it came to the actual delivery of this vital document to the front line it was just dumped on our desks without a word being said. So the message I got was that my views did not matter- that I did not matter- and it was this latent contempt that became my template for customer relations from there on in.

So I get the message- just not the one they presumably intended to deliver.

Edited by wonderpup