House Price Crash Forum

Radio 5 Just Now - Victoria D On Rates Set To Tick Up

HOLA441

Will have to link to this on iplayer later.

Some funny callers.

All about rate rises.

Only caught a few of the calls....

One landlord saying he'll have to pass on the higher costs to his tenants.

Another woman saying she's against the rises, and how she lives in an expensive part of Devon, and she was angry by another caller who had suggested selling and buying a smaller house or a house in another area. How higher rates will make it harder for young people to afford to live in their exclusive areas.

HOLA442

Radio 4. Theres another thread.

Cliche after cliche. HPCers could have faked all of those calls, alternately impersonating a landlord, an idiot getting whats coming to them and still not thinking its their fault, an old dear who cannot possibly comprehend that prices can go down as well as up.. etc etc.

There was one who said houses go up when lending goes up, and that help to buy just increases prices. But dumb to smart is 10 to 1.

Edited by cybernoid

HOLA443

Radio 4. Theres another thread.

Cliche after cliche. HPCers could have faked all of those calls, alternately impersonating a landlord, an idiot getting whats coming to them and still not thinking its their fault, an old dear who cannot possibly comprehend that prices can go down as well as up.. etc etc.

There was one who said houses go up when lending goes up, and that help to buy just increases prices. But dumb to smart is 10 to 1.

Oops, thanks for correcting me. Two mistakes I made; wrong radio station and creating a new thread when there was already one going.

It's real enough though - hard to believe. It's all been hard to believe. The vulgar complacency.

Now to find that thread.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Will have to link to this on iplayer later.

Some funny callers.

All about rate rises.

Only caught a few of the calls....

One landlord saying he'll have to pass on the higher costs to his tenants.

Another woman saying she's against the rises, and how she lives in an expensive part of Devon, and she was angry by another caller who had suggested selling and buying a smaller house or a house in another area. How higher rates will make it harder for young people to afford to live in their exclusive areas.

No use having a tenant if they don't pay your mortgage :rolleyes:.

Edit: I wonder how many of the landlords considering passing on interest rate rises to their tenants reduced the rent by 90% when interest rates fell from 5% to 0.5%.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA446
HOLA447

Anyone trying to pass on rate increases to tenants now will just end up without tenants.

I had a conversation with a letting agent a few years ago in a an area with quite a lot of 2 bed flats on the market. I enjoyed it.

Flat was empty and available to rent.

Agent "The landlord won't accept that offer."

Me "He can either lose the interest payment amount every month, or he can lose that interest payment amount minus what I'm prepared to pay. Which would he prefer?"

Agent "He would prefer to make a profit."

Me "Thats not on the table. Its not as if his is the only empty 2 bed flat looking for a tenant around here."

Agent "How about if you commit to a 12 month AST instead of 6 ? Ive got to go back to him with something."

Me "No, I want the option to go after 6 months. 6 months at my price or I'll go somewhere else."

I found a better flat for less than I offered about 2 miles away. I checked right move occasionally for my own amusement. It stayed empty for a further 4 months. My offer was around 10% less than the advertised rent.