House Price Crash Forum
awaytogo

'benefit Tourists' Should Be Made To Wait, Britons Say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27874539

A majority of Britons believe EU immigrants should have to wait at least three years before being able to claim benefits, a survey has suggested.

The annual British Social Attitudes survey of 3,000 people found that 61% wanted rules toughened in this way to deter so-called benefit tourism.

How long would you have to wait for benefits if you moved to Romania

Edited by awaytogo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27874539

A majority of Britons believe EU immigrants should have to wait at least three years before being able to claim benefits, a survey has suggested.

The annual British Social Attitudes survey of 3,000 people found that 61% wanted rules toughened in this way to deter so-called benefit tourism.

How long would you have to wait for benefits if you moved to Romania

if were were not so intergrated into Europe it would have been possible, but if they want that now then it would have to be for everyone, watch this space I see some kind of changes coming to the welfare system of this country, first you get small reports like this coming out then governments use it to say the people want then the change comes. I give it 4 months and policy changes will be advised.

if were were not so intergrated into Europe it would have been possible, but if they want that now then it would have to be for everyone, watch this space I see some kind of changes coming to the welfare system of this country, first you get small reports like this coming out then governments use it to say the people want then the change comes. I give it 4 months and policy changes will be advised.

Open immigration is incompatible with a high level of welfare spending. It's an either-or decision. The British have chosen (or had chosen for them, more accurately) an open immigration system.

I am not really sure why are British politicians so useless and why they are lying it is EU's fault. Clearly it is not a problem at all in France, so why UK can not implement the same thing instead of blaming EU:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25419423

Many of the evicted Roma end up being deported - almost 11,000 Romanian nationals were deported from France last year, more than any other immigrant group. Being a citizen of a European Union country offers little protection as EU law allows a member country to expel people who are deemed a burden on its social system.

Edited by Damik

I am not really sure why are British politicians so useless and why they are lying it is EU's fault. Clearly it is not a problem at all in France, so why UK can not implement the same thing instead of blaming EU:

Simply because most of the other EU welfare systems are contributions based wheras the UK's is needs based, hence the large number of UK citizens who manage to spend their lives on it without ever doing a days work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25419423

Many of the evicted Roma end up being deported - almost 11,000 Romanian nationals were deported from France last year, more than any other immigrant group. Being a citizen of a European Union country offers little protection as EU law allows a member country to expel people who are deemed a burden on its social system.

Yeah

Was in Nice last week and noticed the Police moving Romanian and home grown beggars on,even took the containers they were using but not the cash.

How many 'benefit tourists' are there in the UK? How many UK citizens are claiming benefits in other EU countries?

The major problem is that 'benefit tourists' who come to the UK do not need to have contributed a penny to get exactly the same benefits as a UK born and bred (or other immigrant) who has worked and paid tax and NI for say 30 years. In most countries in Europe they would not be entitled (as per local born and bred or other immigrant) to any benefits unless they have paid in. UK citizens is say France may be claiming benefits BUT will have paid in to earn the right to those benefits.

You're saying it's a major problem, but where's the evidence? £25bn on housing benefit is a major problem, national debt interest of £50bn is a major problem, taxpayer losses in the realm of tens to hundreds of billions of pounds to bail out the banks is a major problem. So what's the bill for these 'benefit tourists' and how does it compare to what UK citizens are claiming in other EU countries?

Surely there is a middle ground of being eligible for full benefits after a minimum of 18 years, not that that is what I'd like but from a politician winning both votes point of view.

Can you not read??? UK citizens have paid if they are claiming benefits in most European countries, benefits tourists coming here getting free money, I see that as a major problem as someone ie me has to pay and the amount is largely irrelevant. Yes HB etc are ridiculous as well and are a separate issue.

I understand the principle, I just don't see the point in getting all worked up over an amount of government spending that might work out at a single digit number of pennies per household per week when the country has problems costing hundreds of pounds per household per week. Seems like getting distracted by not keeping things in perspective.

Can you not read??? UK citizens have paid if they are claiming benefits in most European countries, benefits tourists coming here getting free money, I see that as a major problem as someone ie me has to pay and the amount is largely irrelevant. Yes HB etc are ridiculous as well and are a separate issue.

Well, no. The amount IS relevant. If it's £10 million a year then it's really not worth worrying about.

Well, no. The amount IS relevant. If it's £10 million a year then it's really not worth worrying about.

If it is a low figure it's still relevant. Just it's existence could encourage many thousands to come here Knowing there is a safety net if things go wrong.

I understand the principle, I just don't see the point in getting all worked up over an amount of government spending that might work out at a single digit number of pennies per household per week when the country has problems costing hundreds of pounds per household per week. Seems like getting distracted by not keeping things in perspective.

Do you not see the problem with what you say, give free money to people and they will flock here,That is what is happening, The French are telling us we have a problem yet we are quite happy to carry on,

The fact that a lot of people in this country are going to have to work one or two or even more extra years to get a pension after paying contributions in some cases 50 years, and you think it is ok for people to walk into the country and go on benefits straight away.

Sorry the people of the UK are waking up.

In Spain you wouldn't be able to move there to live and claim benefits, if of working age and not a pensioner you would also need medical insurance....you can only claim if you have contributed into the system. ;)

In Spain you wouldn't be able to move there to live and claim benefits, if of working age and not a pensioner you would also need medical insurance....you can only claim if you have contributed into the system. ;)

A good idea. My nephew my marriage is a Spanish citizen he came here looking for work and after a few weeks tried to get his girlfriend to become a pro bogus single mum. (Not because of anything I had said - I kept very quite about single mums in front of him).

Fortunately she said no, which was good for the taxpayer.

Edited by iamnumerate

You're saying it's a major problem, but where's the evidence? £25bn on housing benefit is a major problem, national debt interest of £50bn is a major problem, taxpayer losses in the realm of tens to hundreds of billions of pounds to bail out the banks is a major problem. So what's the bill for these 'benefit tourists' and how does it compare to what UK citizens are claiming in other EU countries?

So, you want to give away money that I and most others have paid in over the years?

Why?

So, you want to give away money that I and most others have paid in over the years?

Why?

When did I say that? I just think it's important to keep things in perspective and focus your efforts on problems that have actual observable consequences. If large numbers of 'benefit tourists' really are entering the UK then presumably somebody has looked at the numbers and costs to the taxpayer, so what are they?

When did I say that? I just think it's important to keep things in perspective and focus your efforts on problems that have actual observable consequences. If large numbers of 'benefit tourists' really are entering the UK then presumably somebody has looked at the numbers and costs to the taxpayer, so what are they?

I think you are assuming a degree of ability that our Government doesn't have.

Sorry,

That was the impression that your post gave me.

But,

I think that as a National philosophy, instead of 'Well, it's not costing us very much and besides xyz etc....' We should simply have a zero tolerance policy. UK benefits are for the people who paid for them, no-one else.

This does not preclude charitable citizens who disagree from contributing from their own pockets.

Sorry,

That was the impression that your post gave me.

But,

I think that as a National philosophy, instead of 'Well, it's not costing us very much and besides xyz etc....' We should simply have a zero tolerance policy. UK benefits are for the people who paid for them, no-one else.

This does not preclude charitable citizens who disagree from contributing from their own pockets.

But if benefit tourism was only a minor problem, so policing benefit tourism cost more than the problem in the first place, that would be both mean spirited and stupid.

I do suspect that there is a deliberate misdirection here - we are being told to look at the impact of immigration on benefits instead of on the job market. You have to wonder why that is.

But if benefit tourism was only a minor problem, so policing benefit tourism cost more than the problem in the first place, that would be both mean spirited and stupid.

I do suspect that there is a deliberate misdirection here - we are being told to look at the impact of immigration on benefits instead of on the job market. You have to wonder why that is.

I cannot share your left wing philosophy. The problem exists and will get worse without Policing. Anyway, what cost is there if immigrants only become eligible for benefits after working for a number of years?

As to being mean spirited, so what? People who have paid into the system are being denied a proportion of benefit if it goes to benefit tourists.

Stupid? I and others are being ripped off and you want me to smile?

I cannot share your left wing philosophy. The problem exists and will get worse without Policing. Anyway, what cost is there if immigrants only become eligible for benefits after working for a number of years?

As to being mean spirited, so what? People who have paid into the system are being denied a proportion of benefit if it goes to benefit tourists.

Stupid? I and others are being ripped off and you want me to smile?

Cost-Benefit analysis is now, apparently, 'Left Wing Philosophy'...

I cannot share your left wing philosophy. The problem exists and will get worse without Policing. Anyway, what cost is there if immigrants only become eligible for benefits after working for a number of years?As to being mean spirited, so what? People who have paid into the system are being denied a proportion of benefit if it goes to benefit tourists.Stupid? I and others are being ripped off and you want me to smile?

There are loads of people who 'haven't paid in' who presumably you wouldn't exclude, simply because they happened to fall out of a woman in the UK - children. Or are you going to stick to the principle and tell them all, no shots for you parasites - you can have a MMR jab once you've got a job, if you live that long!

There are also a shed load of chancers who did happen to fall out of a woman in the UK, who have perhaps paid in, but now only bother coming back to Blighty when they need a new hip - they don't seem to be too pleased about having their gravy train removed : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/10834116/NHS-rejects-expats-returning-from-Spain.html