House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davidg

Walking Off The Job

Have you done it? I mean just walked out from a company without a word?

The worst case I can think off is someone who went to work in Brussels for a software company. On his first day he was shown around the office, introduced to his co-workers and given a stack of docs to read while someone spoke to the IT department to sort out a computer... maybe by the end of the week.

No-one seemed that friendly, a bit autistic. He thought "bugger this", told the guy opposite in the veal fattening pens that he was just going for a piss and may be some time.

At the end of the week another friend gets a call from the HR; they'd found him via Linked-in. We've just noticed your friend is missing from the office, we are not sure which day but there is a big canal at the back of the offices and police are considering dragging it; can he shed some light on the dissapearance. 1st friend was actually holed up in his spare room at the time.

I've done it. Was asked by the managing director to basically defraud the Admiralty inspector. I simply packed up my kit and walked out without telling anyone. OK, I was a contractor, so there were no nasty come backs, I guess he knew why I left without notice.

Another place, another time, a contractor hired on the Monday suddenly got up midday halfway through the week, told the manager next to him "You're so full of sh1t your eyes should be brown" and then, very dignified, walked the whole length of the open plan office on his way out. All of us drones wanted to applaud, but dared not. That place had the highest staff turnover I'd ever come across. Think 30% a year levels.

Back in the eighties a salesman at the company where I was service manager sold a pair of statmuxes to a guy who wanted a cash register connected to his computer 70 miles away over a dedicated phone line.He told the customer it would work with no problems.

Spent about six hours on the phone with one of my techs at the other end while the electricians kept turning the power on and off!!! and the business owner kept asking why it wasn't working yet.

Gave up for the day and went back to the office where the salesman asked why I hadn't got it going yet.I didn't say a word just walked.

I was later informed that it took several months for the manufacturer to make it work.

Ha, if only. More companies today are badly run, worse than ever it seems.

If the Company treat the staff like sh4t then there's no reason to act the same way back, once you are in a financial position to do so. E.g A lottery win.

Unfortunately unless you have another job to walk into, it is difficult because you need the same company to give you a reference, and you will have to work your notice too. Just bite your lip, look for a new job, weigh it up, and make a sly resignation to "search for new opportunities". And if you are in an important role, expect to see yourself in the company news letter:

"I would like to thank ........ for his contributions over the years and wish him all the best in his future endeavours,"

No, but have walked away from a customer a few times..I move house furniture for a living and one time had a guy putting items on my truck while I was taking them off. It got quite physical with me pushing a chair at him and he pushing it back at me...There was twice as much stuff as he had told me over the phone, so I raised the price and he said "no just do the job"...so I didn`t do the job........I have worked for companies over thirty years ago though and know the different reality that prevails and how they have one over on you if you do not toe the line, especially today

I walked out of a washing dishes job when I was 15.. they wanted me to work 14hours on mothers day and refused to even offer me food (even though most of it went in the bin)! I just walked.

Ok, not the same league...

Yes I did it. Walked out of not just the job, but the catering industry as a whole. I should have done it a long time before and I've never looked back.

I've done it, i was skint and forced to work over xmas on a ship refit it was sub zero temps

Ice covered puddles on the open decks, feet & hands frozen pure abject misery.

i was setting up some burning gear with a mate and i just thought f* this & walked didnt even clock off. I got a comeback on it as they had been searching for me on the ship thinking id had an accident or something. Learned from that that is better to tell someone if your going to do the off even if its just for safetys sake.

In the welding game this is known as "doing a rammit" but usually involves doling out some verbal first lol f

I walked a job interview when they asked me if I would pretend to be a chicken - seriously, a chicken!! It was BDM position for a big mobile company. They came after me and asked if I would attend a second interview. I refused and they phoned several times over the next few days. I didn't attend the second interview.

I have actually walked a few jobs. Usually out of boredom, never regretted it either, should probably have gone for the BDM position above though :)

I did it once earlier in my career. I was working crazy hours for a start-up company which, I came to realise, was run by total idiots. Half way through one particularly ludicrous all hands company meeting I stood up and said 'you're a bunch of total idiots' before walking out. I didn't regret it for a minute and they went bust a few months later too for good measure.

IT contract with a major government department - did it for 3 days. Concluded that the department was a bunch of idiots. Got in my car and drove home.

However, the idiots were being paid an awful lot of money to, IMPO, do FA and whinge about how hard done by they were.

I walked a job interview when they asked me if I would pretend to be a chicken - seriously, a chicken!! It was BDM position for a big mobile company. They came after me and asked if I would attend a second interview. I refused and they phoned several times over the next few days. I didn't attend the second interview.

I have actually walked a few jobs. Usually out of boredom, never regretted it either, should probably have gone for the BDM position above though :)

You should have gone to the interview, coughed and gobbed all over them and then told them that you had just given them bird flu.

Or you could have got your knob out and started f*cking a chair for a few thrusts before telling them that you were a dyslexic plucked chicken.

Or you could have taken a broom into the room, smashed the ceiling down on them and then run around screaming "I'm chicken lickin' and the sky is falling down!".

Saving that, you could have just taken a gun in with you.

I would have just stared blankly at them, occasionally jerking my head, and pecking at the floor, and then stared blankly at them again, for the rest of the entire interview.

I'm convinced this kind of thing is a test to see how compliant you are.

Is the ability to emulate a chicken part of the regular job?

I've done it, i was skint and forced to work over xmas on a ship refit it was sub zero temps

Ice covered puddles on the open decks, feet & hands frozen pure abject misery.

i was setting up some burning gear with a mate and i just thought f* this & walked didnt even clock off. I got a comeback on it as they had been searching for me on the ship thinking id had an accident or something. Learned from that that is better to tell someone if your going to do the off even if its just for safetys sake.

In the welding game this is known as "doing a rammit" but usually involves doling out some verbal first lol f

Ships are dangerous! You could have left a random dead body in your boiler suit, and then sued them for your untimely demise!

You should have said "Why not - after all, you're all being c0cks...."

:) Wish I had of had any of those suggestions to hand/mouth when it happened. I can't remember what I said but then it mustn't have been worth remembering. Definitely wasn't anything smart of funny.

To this day I have no understanding of what they achieved with their request.

<_<

Had a summer job once that I found so mind-numbingly tedious and awful (sticking bits of fruit on tarts and cream in cream buns - no innuendos please!) that I didn't bother going back after lunch on the first day. I've some respect for people who can actually tolerate that sort of thing. Just that morning made me cringe at the smell of fruit salad for years.

So for my part I had a 6 month contract for a charter airline flying passengers to various destinations for the weekend. I was to help with logistics and implement some software to optimize bums on seats and aircraft usage (it is actually a non solvable mathematical problem refered to as a knapsack problem). I turned up and the guy I was to be assisting had quit and they asked me to take over his role and reluctantly I agreed.

The basic issue of taking a set of flight manifests, parsing them and getting an approximate aircraft rosta was not too hard; you then adjust by hand and indeed lots of systems exist to do this. Charter airlines like to sweat their fleet so you may have a Birmingham -> Marbella -> Bristol -> Faro -> Birmingham run in a day or Manchester -> Southampton -> Malaga -> Soton -> Manchester. This makes loading more complicated. Seats were sold to Tour Operators including the parent company but you could also buy free seats by phoning the airline directly.

The thing that made the job hell was that the sales team would sell seats that didn't exist, because the flights had to be worked out by Wednesday noon, right up to 8pm on Friday evening. So you could have an A330, half the seats taken by other TOs, the rest filled 100% with your passengers and you'd get a fax at 8pm saying they'd sold 5 more seats - which didn't exist on the plane you's rostered. You couldn't just bounce them on the next flight because that was a week later. It wasn't as if the charter company was making a huge amount of money from seats - maybe passengers were paying 60 quid for a return fare[1] but sales would see 10000 pax available for the weekend with a load rate of 90% and think they had 1,000 more seats to fill.

Anyway I lasted 2 months.

[1]The Tour Operator might have also sold a holiday with the seat because they had space in apartments to fill.\\

To this day I have no understanding of what they achieved with their request.

Presumably they looking for someone with the confidence to turn round and say no.

I never walked out without saying a word, but I did resign from a job in the US last year giving zero notice and making my dissatisfaction known. I'd been there 2 months and almost completed training.

I wouldn't normally do that, but in this case I was pissed enough to tell the owner exactly why I was not coming back. The supervisor training me was a supreme A-hole, and despite my own tenacity eventually he wore me down. It was a "life is too short for this" moment of realisation. The owner of the company wasn't much better, and you often find that like attracts like. So this company was choc full of difficult individuals.

Instead of making some crummy excuse or sending an email, I phoned the owner and explained to him that I couldn't work with his supervisor, because IMO his supervisor wasn't fit to deal with humans. I didn't do that to create trouble for the supervisor specifically, but more to draw the owners attention to a real problem within his company. He'd lost staff abruptly recently before, for precisely the same reason.

Tbh I got a sense of payback from doing things this way, and the company I joined afterwards was a breath of fresh air in comparison.

No regrets.

A few years ago I was an agency temp who got a job with Parcel Force as a Delivery Driver.

Day 1 went quite well. Manage to complete the round in a rural area I hardly knew. Day 2 in the same area but I found it really tough going. I think I had more parcels to deliver on that day and I failed to find a few of the addresses.

Day 3 even tougher. As well as having to find the house of one of the failed deliveries as the customer made a fuss. This place was really in the 'back o' beyond' of north Norfolk. I also had to go 'off piste' to deliver a 'pre 10am' delivery to a coastal village. That delivery was made about 30-45 minutes late but fortunately the customer didn't complain (not to me personally anyway).

Given that as I walked to work on either day 2 or 3 some scrote on a mountain bike tried to nick my rucksack (only containing safety boots and my lunch), I decided not to do it anymore. I couldn't face doing a 4th day. Had a lay in and the supervisor called me on my mobile to check where I was was. I deliberately left my mobile switched on overnight. I let him down with an apology. I felt a bit bad as the supervisor who helped me at the depot was a jolly nice guy. I had previously delivered parcels with DHL and recalling the extremely steep learning curve, I gave up and immediately lost interest.

Fortunately that one was my last temp job.

One positive I did take from this unsuccessful brief stint - rural folk in general seem to be much more pleasant than city folk. :)