House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Eastenders’ Dot Cotton Left On Streets By ‘Real-Life’ Property Prices

http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/16/eastenders-dot-cotton-left-on-streets-by-real-life-property-prices-4763203/

EastEnders’ Dot Cotton left on streets by ‘real-life’ property prices

Most soap stars would be homeless if they had to pay ‘real-life’ prices for the houses they live in on TV.

Average homes in Albert Square, in London’s East End, would cost £355,000, meaning laundrette worker Dot Cotton, on £16,000 a year, would be out on the streets.

Factory worker Sally Webster would need to earn £31,000 for a mortgage in Salford – where Coronation Street is set – where homes cost £135,000.

And much of the cast of Emmerdale earn far less than the £250,000 it costs to live in the Yorkshire Dales.

A spokeswoman for the National Housing Federation said: ‘Many characters would face real struggles to afford rent costs, let alone finding a deposit to own their home.’

Ruth Davison, who works for the organisation, added: ‘Without more affordable homes across the country, people on modest incomes will continue to face the real-life drama of being unable to put down roots.’

What would be better would be a storyline in each soap where a hardworking family has to move away from the square/street as they cannot get a mortgage.

Maybe then the great unwashed thicko's in this Country would appreciate the scale of the problem and why HPI is not after all a good thing.

Wouldn't that make a good episode, if everyone on these shows had to move because the rent had just gone up to market rate or they had just been repossessed. :P

Been done before raising awareness on things like breast cancer....

Works as well the unwashed sit up and take notice.....

I wonder how many millions of people will have read this article on the train this morning?

But Dot has lived there for years and if she owns her house she is sitting on a fortune. She should sell up now while the going's good and move to an old folks home. This would free up her large house for a deserving family. Quick...London prices are going down! Pity she hasn't got any heirs to benefit from her fortune. (Nasty Nick is dead). She wouldn't need to work in the laundrette and there would be a job for a deserving youngster and she could enjoy her retirement spending her housing wealth and boosting the economy.

But Dot has lived there for years and if she owns her house she is sitting on a fortune. She should sell up now while the going's good and move to an old folks home. This would free up her large house for a deserving family. Quick...London prices are going down! Pity she hasn't got any heirs to benefit from her fortune. (Nasty Nick is dead). She wouldn't need to work in the laundrette and there would be a job for a deserving youngster and she could enjoy her retirement spending her housing wealth and boosting the economy.

Council. Think there was a subletting story recently.

Not that I watch it.

Dot doesn't own, she rents from the council IIRC and was threatened with eviction for renting out a room to Fat Boy ... yes very sad that I know this. But I take the point that none of the occupants of E20 could afford to live in the multi-million pound houses that make up the square.

Oddly its not illegal to have a lodger in a council property. It is is 'illegal' to sublet though.

Not that I'd expect Eastenders script writers to do their research.

Also that property kind of passed onto Dot via the Jackson family (Bianca etc..) in a rather tenuous way so not sure how she 'inherited' the tenancy.

Yes very sad I know that.

I'm pretty sure Dot's always been in that house and she didn't hook up with Jim Branning, the connection to the Jackson family (Carol was a Branning) until well into the 2000s.

Erm, so somebody just told me.

Yes Carol Branning and family, then Dot moved in with Jim Branning, then the Brannings left the series (someone just told me). Ermm I think Carol Branning is now back again as is Bianca (I don't actually watch it really ... :rolleyes:

Actually the Fowlers houses has a mixed history. Went from private rented to Council (a few story lines) then Ian bought it.

Not sure why I know this

This has irked me for years on Eastenders. Almost everyone on the square works either in a chip shop, cafe, laundrette, market stall or as bar maid in the vic and they have no problems living in London and being regulars paying London prices for beer? And they're all mostly British? Does not compute.

Edited by hans kammler

Who'd watch it though if it was reality. A few trust fund Silicone roundabout twats, 25 quid organic Steak and Kidney pie at the rebranded queen Vic. Illegal immigrants piled high in the arches, and the load of empty newbuilds sold to the chinks. Lahhhhndan.

This has irked me for years on Eastenders. Almost everyone on the square works either in a chip shop, cafe, laundrette, market stall or as bar maid in the vic and they have no problems living in London and being regulars paying London prices for beer? And they're all mostly British? Does not compute.

Its intended to appeal to a broad range of viewers across the UK - not reflect the world as it is in Bow (where you would find such a square) today. Why do you think our two top rated dramas are Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey?

In reality most of the people on the show would have moved out to Essex long ago - but thats not the point!

Dot doesn't own, she rents from the council IIRC and was threatened with eviction for renting out a room to Fat Boy ... yes very sad that I know this. But I take the point that none of the occupants of E20 could afford to live in the multi-million pound houses that make up the square.

Doesn't that mean she would have been hit by the bedroom tax!

Who'd watch it though if it was reality. A few trust fund Silicone roundabout twats, 25 quid organic Steak and Kidney pie at the rebranded queen Vic. Illegal immigrants piled high in the arches, and the load of empty newbuilds sold to the chinks. Lahhhhndan.

'The Real EastEnders'. I, for one, would love to see that shoved up Auntie's skirts. B)

I'm pretty sure Dot's always been in that house and she didn't hook up with Jim Branning, the connection to the Jackson family (Carol was a Branning) until well into the 2000s.

Erm, so somebody just told me.

When EastEnders was at concept development stage in 1984, Dot and Nick lived on the 'Estate', not the Square itself..

Quite it couldn't have been Nick as then he wouldn't have been able to murder Lucy Beale.

Also it appears that renting and evicting people in E20 is very easy as is getting a new job ... although they never discuss rates of pay.

And they all move house in minutes with nothing but a couple of bin liners.

Is Max too obvious as Lucy's killer then? haven't seen tonight's yet - no TV so iplayer only viewing.