House Price Crash Forum
kjw

Mayday-Mayday-England-Wales-Land-Grab-Of-Land-That-Belongs-To-Everyone-Spread-The-Word-Sound-The-Alarm-House-Of-Lords-Debate-Wednesday-June-18/

"The Bill is designed to fulfil a number of functions, so many in fact it’s easy to only concentrate on that hot potato, fracking, and possibly also the HS2 railway line - personally I am opposed to both, but the Bill enables far more than that."

"What the Bill proposes is that the Secretary of State can hand over any amount of public land to the arms-length, non-departmental Government body, the Homes & Communities Agency. The HCA can then dispose of it to developers. There will be no need to go through local authority planning processes – the Sec of State can give the green light without any local politicians or planners’ involvement, just by consulting a panel of two people."

Only time would tell how it is utilised, but I believe it could be a shot in the arm for house building for the benefit of anyone who needs a roof over their heads. It appears to it would actually free up the process of planning and building homes and just maybe some enterprising, hungry well run builders will find a way of getting in first and shoving Persimmon to the back of the land banking queue.

We cannot have it both ways...where we hate nimbys but also keep in place the very systems that enable nimbys too much & often misused authority..

Most if not all of UK ugliest architecture was built after the planning process was introduced. I therefore see no benefit in letting planners have any say on development plans.

:lol:

Good point!

Most if not all of UK ugliest architecture was built after the planning process was introduced. I therefore see no benefit in letting planners have any say on development plans.

Funny thing is it's not even a joke.

Of course everyone agrees with latterdaysinner - the British planning system is an abhorence.

However one result of the planning system little commented upon is that we have moved from a very diverse construction sector before the planning system was introduced to a practical oligopoly now. The big house builders were created by and are supported by the planning system and have complete regulatory capture.

This move will just be an excuse for handing land to the government's friends in the construction industry - i.e. the big house builders.

It's already the case that the planning system is 'one rule for the rich (the big housebuilders) and another rule for the poor (i.e. self builders)' This will only make it worse.

As is also the case in the UK energy sector, in the construction industry in the UK we have market failure caused by and sustained by a regulatory system designed to contain it. We need these oligopolies broken up as well as having the broken regulatory system dismantled. If we only do one of these things, we may be worse off than before...

You never know, they may use this power for good and build some new homes!

On the flip side, they could do the opposite and so hold huge tracts out of any possible development future. :angry: