House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Battle Of Kohima - The Last Stand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kohima

Watched something on this today one of the history channels on Sky, not quite outnumbered Rorke's Drift but it would appear an incredible achievement of the British/Indian troops stationed there who held the position it appears against all odd's. The Wiki pages states that the Japanese had 10:1 advantage although I'm sure in the TV show they mentioned Japanese strength was even greater with 65,000 men although perhaps there was a typo in the script.

A battle I'd never even heard off until today although I'm sure if this had been a US unit holding the line it would have been a hollywood film.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007132417/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ended up ordering this.

Yes well, the wife`s uncle was at Imphal, never spoke to him or had any desire to do so. (bloody Jap!)

I suppose it`s the usual story of the UK getting off to a bad start before coming good in the end.

Have read plenty on the subject, hair raising stuff.

Kohima and Imphal are hardly known nowadays but they were as important as any of the European or Pacific battles.

Absolutely bloody things. Often the front lines were no greater than the width of a tennis court. Terrible hand to hand and grenade throwing fighting went on. Gurkhas prooved their worth with incredible stories of the Gurkhas not firing a single bullet in some engagements.

These battles were so fierece that British Generals fought on the front lines and, IIRC, two were lost in a single day. Lots of battlefield promotions went on during those battles.

"When you go home, tell them of us and say

For their tomorrow, we gave our today."

- inscribed on the memorial at Kohima

Bill Slim was the best general the Commonwealth had in WW2, but the Forgotten Fourteenth is indeed mostly forgotten.

IIf u like that kind of thing find a copy of the edge of the sword. It's a memoir from one of the officers who fought on the imjin river and went into captivity... Fascinating.

"When you go home, tell them of us and say

For their tomorrow, we gave our today."

- inscribed on the memorial at Kohima

Bill Slim was the best general the Commonwealth had in WW2, but the Forgotten Fourteenth is indeed mostly forgotten.

Now, sadly, being accused of kiddie fiddling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581264/British-military-commander-considered-one-UKs-greatest-World-War-Two-generals-accused-molesting-children-sat-Rolls-Royce.html