House Price Crash Forum
bearwithasorehead

10 Facts About Benefits Britain

All of these facts are correct but old people vote so they pick on the minority which is the unemployed. It is a deliberate tactic to divide the populace and rule with fear.

The same reason is why debt is pushed onto everyone, even more so with tuition fees. People in debt are in fear of losing their job so will not protest as they can quite easily end up as one of the demonized unemployed.

The truth has no place in our political system, whether this is because the general populace don't care, are ignorant, live in fear, or all of the above that is to be debated.

I fear for the day when automation means the top 10% no longer needs anyone else, they have no conscience or morals and the result will be chilling.

Edited by Ulfar

5 feels a bit misleading. Fraud is only recorded when it's uncovered and it doesn't account for what isn't fraud on paper (the much fanfared self-employment tax credit swizzle).

Agree with the sentiment though.

78.9 % of stats are made up on the spot.

But only 50% believe them.

Pen_Vs_Welfare_zps41536d02.jpg

Hmmm... Is GDP driving welfare/pensions, or is it the other way round?

Edited by XswampyX

Came across this when looking for something else, and thought it was fairly interesting....

1) A TUC survey showed that people think around 41% of benefits go to the unemployed, the real figure is 2.6%.
2) 42% of the Welfare Bill goes to pensioners, 21% goes to people in low paid work.
3) Nearly 80% of JSA claimants stop claiming within 6 months.
4) Of the 7.8 million families receiving child benefit, 1.2 million have more than two children.
5) A TUC survey found that people think around 27% of welfare is lost to fraud – the real figure is only 0.7%, around £1.2 billion.
6) Around £17 billion of benefits that people are entitled to goes unclaimed every year.
7) Immigrants are 60% less likely to claim benefits than a British-born person.
8) 64% of families receive benefits – that’s 20.3 million families.
9) The UK spends 12% less on benefits per head than France does, and 19% less compared to Germany.
10) 93% of new Housing Benefit claimants in 2010 and 2011 came from working people, as UK housing costs are the 3rd highest in Europe.

My initial thoughts reading some of these bullet points:

1) What if someone is a single mother? Do they count as unemployed?

4) How many families in the UK have more than 2 children? Doing some quick sums in my head, in a country with a total population of around 70 million, a very large proportion of 3+ kids families are getting benefits.

5) Does someone deliberately getting pregnant other and other to increase their income count as fraud? What about burning down "their" council house so they can get a new one. Does that count as fraud?

6) Good

7) I can believe that

8) This is probably the most depressing point, how can a single man with no kids and no benefits compete with the subsidised majority?

9) So what? The UK's fiscal situation is still untenable

10) If the government stopped housing benefits tomorrow then our housing costs wouldn't be so high. Landlords wouldn't be able to charge the rents they do now because no one be able to afford it.

The majority on working age benefits are spent on Gordon's tax credit 'vote for me' bribe.

I would have thought most people now would has susses the dole -as was - makes up very little of the working-age benefit bill.

The majority of it is p1ssed away on pretend cripple payouts, tax credits and housing benefit.

If successive governments had not done a Robert Maxwell with the pension money (yes, I know it's just another tax, but it wasn't collected as such), you could cut that 42% for pensioners to pretty much zero.

Actually, that's a bit unfair on Robert Maxwell, all he did was follow the government's example.

8) 64% of families receive benefits – that’s 20.3 million families.

And no one in gubbermint takes this as a sign that our economy is not very 'balanced' or that consumer debt and spending is not the way to prosperity.

8) This is probably the most depressing point, how can a single man with no kids and no benefits compete with the subsidised majority?

That's me that is. That plus joint incomers bidding up house prices, what a wonderful world to live in.

The unemployment figure is misleading as most long term scroungers are "disabled" or "depressed" I don't mean the real disabled or depressed but the fakers or borderline cases that are milking the system.

The unemployment figure is misleading as most long term scroungers are "disabled" or "depressed" I don't mean the real disabled or depressed but the fakers or borderline cases that are milking the system.

Immigrants are 60% less likely to claim benefits than a British-born person.

I wonder how they worked this out.

Immigrants are 60% less likely to claim benefits than a British-born person.

I wonder how they worked this out.

I don't believe any of the figures - there's far too much fluff and nonsense about them.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Valid point, BUT where are the jobs for these people?

Best they could find would be zero hour, with the need to claim HB and other bits on top to live.

I don't believe any of the figures - there's far too much fluff and nonsense about them.

They're official UK government stats I believe.

I'm inclined to believe them, if only because I think the Tories would fudge them differently if they were going to fudge.

They're official UK government stats I believe.

I'm inclined to believe them, if only because I think the Tories would fudge them differently if they were going to fudge.

I wouldn't expect tory spin on them. It's down to civil servants, and they don't suddenly change just because we get a different bunch of tw@s at Westminster.

But they are heavily spun. For example, the very first is always spun in the meeja, because "jobseekers" is such a small part of the overall benefits package for non-workers. You send that list to wind up a rabid Daily Mail reader, but find an altogether different spin for a Grauniad type.

I don't believe any of the figures - there's far too much fluff and nonsense about them. Lies[/size], damned [/size]lies, and statistics.[/size]

You need to supply a better reference then..

Came across this when looking for something else, and thought it was fairly interesting....

1) A TUC survey showed that people think around 41% of benefits go to the unemployed, the real figure is 2.6%.

5) A TUC survey found that people think around 27% of welfare is lost to fraud the real figure is only 0.7%, around £1.2 billion.

6 times more goes on sickness / disability benefit than unemployment. We all KNOW a sizeable proportion of these people are taking the piss, hence why the fraud figure is also rubbish.

I know 2 people with motability cars. One is the next door neighbour - wife has bad back. In a year living here I have never seen the wife in the car. Not once. They own a 4 bed detached house outright, why the ****** am I paying for their car anyway?

The other one is a bloke I know with a false leg - you could never argue he doesn't have a condition, but he rides motorcycles & drives a classic car perfectly happily, so again, why am I paying for his regular car?

I have a friend with schizophrenia. It's a life-long condition. He's never going to recover and not have it. The system makes it hugely risky for him to work as once you have had benefits cut, it's very hard to get them back... So, if he works a minimum wage job, he's no better off anyway , then if he gets more ill again, he'd worse off. Working puts mental stress on people like him, so it's a big risk. So, when he's OK, medicated, not having any episodes, he has to keep quiet about it rather than look for a job - we are all paying huge amounts of money to permanently support people like him because the system doesn't work. Not fraud, just rubbish.

We are also paying huge amounts of money for people with much less permanently debilitating (and easily faked or exaggerated) mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety. I believe a large proportion of people being paid sickness benefits for those conditions are exaggerating their symptoms (likewise many physical conditions) and don't want to work.You can rarely prove it, so it will never get counted as fraud, yet we all know it goes on, and I suspect, to a huge level?

So your 78.9% figure has a 78.9% chance of being wrong then?

Whooosh !

:rolleyes:

As for the stats, yeah maybe I guess. So what? As ed balls would say.

Edited by cybernoid

On the contrary. Being a migrant myself I have a large network of fellow antipodeans.

None claim any sort of benefits. Most immigrant (in my case all that I know) contributed far more than taking out from the state.

I can believe the stat.