House Price Crash Forum

No. Looks good for a change. Most telling sign of where we are is the sign saying "no fees - move in for free etc". Desperate landlords. This was the same desperation I last saw and took advantage of in 1998 to move to London (and was probably happening a good few years prior)

Why are they behaving like social worker's ?

The letting agents are acting like social workers because if the tenancy fails, their client (the landlord) loses money.

Private landlords will end up becoming the social landlords of last resort. So many into BTL they can't afford to be picky and will end up housing people the Council don't want!

Not sure why a landlord with a huge portfolio should have an 'emotional attachment'

Also Councils seem more efficient and are geared up to cope. No emotion, no tears, a team clears an empty property with discarded junk being collected by refuse/recycling and then the 'deep clean' team goes in.

Edited by aSecureTenant

Just watched it. I thought it was a series but it appears it's just a one off special. Shame.

- The couple aspiring for a council house. The irony!!

- The 'landlord' with the belief he has the divine right for rent money to pay his mortgage, and completely risk free!

- I bet the lady landlord from London that thought a BTL in the north that got trashed, not a good idea after all

I think the privatisation of social housing experiment of the past 40 years not going so well. <_<

- I bet the lady landlord from London that thought a BTL in the north that got trashed, not a good idea after all

Yes, that storyline annoyed me. Amateur London-based property investor gets hold of some money in 2007 (MEW?) and buys in the North at the peak of the market. She extracts housing benefit from the state for a while (and presumably gives it to a bank), meanwhile the tenant destroys the property and does a runner. The letting agent suggests to the landlord that she just board it up and walk away for now (can't afford the cost of repairs?), she seems to be considering it but we are never told the decision. Net outcome: taxpayer down, bankers up, one habitable property removed from the local housing stock and replaced with a derelict one which will attract vandalism and pests and bring down the tone of the neighbourhood. Great job everybody.

Edited by Dorkins

Good programme. Very much mirrors my experiences of growing up on a council estate, and also of private renting as an adult.

There's a significant number of people who are simply unable or unwilling to cope with adult life and can bring down their neighbourhoods as a result. But they still need housing, even if it is an utter pain living next to them (and not an experience I ever want to revisit again).

I liked the "enforcer" lady with the dobermans. If every dodgy street had someone like her I suspect there would be far fewer of them.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Most areas of the 'North' hvae plenty of council housing.

The only social tenants a private LL will get will be those kicked out of LA + HA places.

Good luck with those.

Stopped Watching 4oD since they stopped you accessing with AdBlocker enabled. Twats.

I just paused it while watching this and switch pages for 30s while the stupid ads are on.

Good programme. Very much mirrors my experiences of growing up on a council estate, and also of private renting as an adult.

There's a significant number of people who are simply unable or unwilling to cope with adult life and can bring down their neighbourhoods as a result. But they still need housing, even if it is an utter pain living next to them (and not an experience I ever want to revisit again).

I liked the "enforcer" lady with the dobermans. If every dodgy street had someone like her I suspect there would be far fewer of them.

I am filling my front garden with fridges and sofas!

The genetically and behaviourally challenged need secure housing, the way that the whole thing has been privatised is terrible.

However, I feel the most sympathy for owners in private estates who end up with a scummy housing benefit tenant next door. If it happened to me, I'd revisit the suffering on their landlord.

The genetically and behaviourally challenged need secure housing, the way that the whole thing has been privatised is terrible.

However, I feel the most sympathy for owners in private estates who end up with a scummy housing benefit tenant next door. If it happened to me, I'd revisit the suffering on their landlord.

The genetically and behaviourally challenged need consequences. The problem exists because throughout their lives they've done whatever they choose and there's always been someone there with 'just one more chance, just a little bit more help'.

Stopped Watching 4oD since they stopped you accessing with AdBlocker enabled. Twats.

Well I watch 4oD on a TiVo now but you can disable Ad blocker on specific sites.

The genetically and behaviourally challenged need consequences. The problem exists because throughout their lives they've done whatever they choose and there's always been someone there with 'just one more chance, just a little bit more help'.

I think that is right.

This behaviour was tolerated for a while in social housing, but get labelled as anti-social and fall behind with the rent and you are evicted and then banned.

Your only hope then is a private scumlord/rentier and heaven help you.

Seems to be the wrong kind of investor getting into the market though. Forget emotional attachments to property, be tough and quite ruthless!

Edited by aSecureTenant

I bet you wouldn't like to live next to her, she is as much of a problem as the drunk. Barking, aggressive dogs to go with an aggressive owner who thinks she rules the street.

People should be allowed to get on with their own lives as long as they aren't interfering with others.

Is it too much to ask that you not use that phrase to refer to living human beings, however bad their behaviour might be?

I am filling my front garden with fridges and sofas!

I don't understand why people do that! There's pretty much nowhere in the world where someone (council, charity, random bod off the internet, roaming scroungers) won't come and take away your junk for free.