House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alfie Moon

Idea For New Leaflet

HPC has some downloadable leaflets and articles on its home page. What follows is a suggestion for a new leaflet to add to the existing ones.

An idea for a leaflet might be to have a photo of what a single person and a couple on 'avarage' income could have bought (re: houses) 5 years ago (i.e. photo of house they could have bought) along with a photo of the type of house the same single person and couple still on 'average' income could buy today. At the bottom of the leaflet in big bold letters there could be the question:

"Tell me what's so good about high house prices?"

Whether we should also add something along the lines of - "Don't believe the hype generated by Estate Agents, Mortgage lenders, and TV Property programmes that high house prices are a good thing." And also - "Refuse to buy property until prices have dropped by at least 30%."

I think having a visual representation of the situation might drive home the message for some people who wouldn't bother to read or take in written text on a leaflet.

An idea for a leaflet might be to have a photo of what a single person and a couple on 'avarage' income could have bought (re: houses) 5 years ago (i.e. photo of house they could have bought) along with a photo of the type of house the same single person and couple still on 'average' income could buy today. At the bottom of the leaflet in big bold letters there could be the question:

"Tell me what's so good about high house prices?"

Whether we should also add something along the lines of - "Don't believe the hype generated by Estate Agents, Mortgage lenders, and TV Property programmes that high house prices are a good thing." And also - "Refuse to buy property until prices have dropped by at least 30%."

That would look great on a billboard!

:D

HPC has some downloadable leaflets and articles on its home page. What follows is a suggestion for a new leaflet to add to the existing ones.

where are these (or am i blind) like the idea of a bit of direct action :ph34r:

yeah. woop-de-doo.

that leaflets going to stun them into reversing the disaster.

save your breath.

people on here cant get to london for a minutes protest, yet spend hours and hours posting titbits and forcasts amongst yourselves.

the very sad reality of this site is that is primary viewers are STR, who have taken a financial gamble akin to that of a BTL. they have no interest in doing anything real. they hope that you -the FTB will drive the market down enough for them to step back in amd make a killing.

all these leaflets and emails to the editor of the times are just a total waste of time.

where are these (or am i blind) like the idea of a bit of direct action :ph34r:

Direct Action? How can we organise a FTB strike, or create an FTB union? I was thinking of a 'cut and paste' letter to the local rags with property paper supplements.

Whilst I accept that there is a range of opinions about whether it is worth doing anything more than just posting comments on HPC those who are against any such activity, whether it be letter writing, producing and using a few leaflets, contacting the various forms of media (all of which I have done and do), organising a march (not particularly my scene) have yet to respond to questions I have raised before:

For those that think that further activity beyond the HPC website is pointless because 'the market will do what the market will do' (economic fundamentals driving the direction, nature and outcome of the situation/market) why do you think the VI's bother to generate so much 'spin'? Surely they don't need to because it is the underlying economic dynamics that create the boom and bust, and 'spin' has no impact. What are the arguments against the following statement:

"It seems to me that the VI's acknowledge the power of spin and do their utmost to utilise it. Afterall, isn't it spin that plays a large part in taking peoples behaviour far beyond and against the actual economic fundamentals and logic of a situation? To what extent do the true economic facts of a situation versus the spin of a situation turn people into sheeple?"

Is there no branch of Economics, as an academic subject, that investigates the interaction of economic fundamentals and 'spin' and the impact this has on markets such as the housing market? As an academic (not an Economist) I can't believe the answer is 'no'.

If there is an overwhelming belief that further action is pointless and challenging the spin of the VI's is a waste of time I would question why there is so much excitement and celebration when HPC does get mentioned in the media, or when one of us gets a letter published, or is interviewed on TV. Why do we bother to have a 'housepricecrash in the media' section on the website?