House Price Crash Forum
RichM

Well B#gger Me, They're All Reading Hpc.co.uk!

I'll drink to a longer life, but I'm not sure how I'll pay for it

Boris Johnson, today's Telegraph. At last, politicians realise we exist! Hallelujah!

Houses cost more and more; and for those who are not owner-occupiers, of course, the position becomes worse and worse. All MPs meet young people who are desperate to get on the property ladder, but who cannot afford it, and this is having a serious demographic impact. Every year from 1997 to 2003, the average age of first-time buyers increased. The longer couples have to wait to find a house, the longer they delay having children. The longer they delay having children, the fewer they have; and it is the general shortage of children that is at the heart of the pensions crisis.

Oooh! And what a tease that Mr Johnson is at the end...

Which is precisely why, as a nation, we pump ever more of our resources into houses. We have a touching belief that bricks and mortar cannot evaporate. That is among the reasons why house prices have tended to rise ever higher, with fewer and fewer people in them. Labour has made such a hash of things that an Englishman's home is not only his castle, but his pension, too.

Good article. I wonder if anyone in authority is listening? I won't hold my breath though. If anything - nothing will be done until it's to late. Perhaps it's already to late?

Boris Johnson..

Eccentric mad Toff...

But an hosnest one, who does put his foot in his mouth a lot..

I would vote for him..

Boris for Prime minister...

do you know why??

Well he may get things wrong, he may do things for the wrong reasons..

but the more I see of him he wouldn't lie about it..

and with the Politicians... the thing that really, really annoys me is that they seem to think lying to me is the way forward..

Something that annoys me more then that is that they seem to think that we believe their lies..

He makes the point that we are not having children, that we can't afford a home...

Good lad..

And as for properties becoming a pension,.....?

Well I don't know anyone who has bought in the last few years myself who is not on an interest only mortgage..

Waiting for what I do not know...

Inflation..??

I think they are.

Morrons.

Good article. I wonder if anyone in authority is listening?

Boris Johnson can afford to be more honest because he's in the Opposition.

I think that those "in power" know full well that it is the housing market which has been supporting the entire economic "miracle" on which their jobs depend.

There's nothing they're going to do to upset this apple cart themselves.

They're desperate to avoid a house price crash.

They're impotent towards pensions.

They want to help young people binge drink themselves to death.

Young people are currently being raped of their financial future.

I have lost faith in politicians.

I have lost faith in politicians.

Not me. One day I relised that people go to certain careers because that's who they are. A cop in Britain would be a cop in Australia, America, South Africa or Cambodia. As would soldiers, doctors, paramedics, and politicians. The politics of the day are irrelevant.

When I relised that people like Tony Blair would be in politics if the UK was a communist state, Absolute monarchy or an islamic state that's when I refused to put faith in them. They are full of self importance. Like the boogy man under the bed Politicians and celebrities die when you ignore them. That's why I won't vote. Imagine a voter turn out of less than 5% The government would have no moral authority at all.

A smart man would relise the emporer has no clothes

A free man would ask "why do you call that man an emporer"?

Houses cost more and more; and for those who are not owner-occupiers, of course, the position becomes worse and worse

What pi$$es me off is these articles tend to refer to HPI as if the root cause is a freak occurrence, no one is to blame, and as such it'll continue on, and the younger generation are unfortunate.

I won't be satisfied until we see articles published that identifies what the root cause of HPI was - VI spiel, and that a generation were duped

;)

Houses cost more and more; and for those who are not owner-occupiers, of course, the position becomes worse and worse. All MPs meet young people who are desperate to get on the property ladder, but who cannot afford it, and this is having a serious demographic impact. Every year from 1997 to 2003, the average age of first-time buyers increased. The longer couples have to wait to find a house, the longer they delay having children. The longer they delay having children, the fewer they have; and it is the general shortage of children that is at the heart of the pensions crisis.

Well that’s easy to solve ! just keep letting immigrants in as they are now and us brits won’t need to have babies.

But having children makes the problem worse in the end as thats more people to get old.

Boris is fab - did you see him on HIGNFY?

Bizarre thought for the day:

Actually if we had enough immigrants doing all the jobs could we tax them enough to all get a nice fat cheque every week?

Edited by SarahBell

fantastic Article,

Anyone know his e-mail address? Gonna send a mail pointing him to this site.

The reason why old BORIS gets into trouble is because he does not prepare lies and spin when questioned. He generally tell sthe truth and is very opinionated, as you know Politicians dont like the truth!

WELL DONE BORIS!

They WANT to be duped.

Sheep are easy prey for shepherds

They WANT to be duped because the alternative is to hard. The alternative? thinking for yourself :rolleyes:

Boris is the man! We need more people like him.

The Scousers have a fatwa on everyone from Manchester anyway, so one more person makes no difference.

fantastic Article,

Anyone know his e-mail address? Gonna send a mail pointing him to this site.

The reason why old BORIS gets into trouble is because he does not prepare lies and spin when questioned. He generally tell sthe truth and is very opinionated, as you know Politicians dont like the truth!

WELL DONE BORIS!

Boris rocks!!

http://www.boris-johnson.com/archives/2005...a.html#comments

They WANT to be duped because the alternative is to hard. The alternative? thinking for yourself :rolleyes:

Its a little like the 'Matrix', people use denial as a way of protecting themselves mentally, when denial gets erroded then the person in question is gentley converted, if denial doesnt exist they run the risk of thier whole world being destroyed, them along with it.

Boris is the man! We need more people like him.

The Scousers have a fatwa on everyone from Manchester anyway, so one more person makes no difference.

Boris is Mancunian?

But having children makes the problem worse in the end as thats more people to get old.

Actually the reason why we have this problem is due to the baby boom, followed by a continuously diminishing number of children born. Consequently each generation has fewer children to support them in their old age.

The current average number of children born is 1.7 children to every couple which means that when we are old there will be more of us than there are adults of working age and so the problem will continue (especially if life expectancy continues to increase).

I could be wrong but I thought in order to have a sustainable population with sufficient working adults to support the elderly and infirm in society a birth rate of 2.4 children per couple was the minimum required and as life expectancy increased that the necessary birth rate to sustain an economy with more pensioners was even higher than 2.4.

In other words the fewer children we have the more likely it is that each generation will hold more of the wealth and need more support from a reducing number of working adults - and so the present situation will perpetuate itself unless the birth rate increases.

Edited by underpressuretobuy

Can you not tell from the accent?

:)

I did wonder about that post myself!

Hmm. Lived in Manc. until I was 17 but I didn't hear many accents like that. Of course having lived in London 20 years, I sound just like Boris myself now...

Mancunian joke: What to you call an aardvark that walks away from a fight? A vark.

Very interesting article and its the countries obsession with property that gets us in this boom and bust cycle. The boom brings a feel good factor but when prices drop (The press and EAs like to use flattening out) everyone panics as in effect its their only money making asset and feels bad. Unfortunately when things go down they go down. In effect with historical low interest rates you would expect everyone to be still piling in except one thing CONSUMER CONFIDENCE this takes a long time to turn around as shown in the early 90s. Once down it stays down for some time.

Yes an Englishman home is their castle, and few have too many castles which will be turned into ruins.

Roll on the USA Recession which will steam roll our recession we are heading into unchartered waters with a overpriced property market, with people leveridged upto hilt at record low interest rates. Why buy a property now when in a couple years time you will get 30 % - 50 % discount. 2000 was the Dot.com crash. Which year do we see the overvalued property cycle burst.

For Me, Boris is a breath of fresh air!

Did anyone see Have I got news for you this week? He was back, and as entertaining as usual.

I've always liked Boris, and this article makes me like him even more.

BTW I'm a floating voter, never tied to a particular party, so listen up David [insert either Cameron or Davis here] !

Edited by laughing_goat

For Me Boris is a breath of fresh air!

id anyone see Have I got news for you this week? He was back, and as entertaining as usual.

I've always liked Boris, and this article makes me like him even more.

BTW I'm a floating voter, never tied to a particular party, so listen up David [insert either Cameron or Davis here] !

He seems to lack that layer of filthy slime that covers every other politician. He was fantastic on have I got news for you? I think people underestimate him. No doubt that is just the way he likes it

Guest Guy_Montag

When I relised that people like Tony Blair would be in politics if the UK was a communist state, Absolute monarchy or an islamic state that's when I refused to put faith in them. They are full of self importance. Like the boogy man under the bed Politicians and celebrities die when you ignore them. That's why I won't vote. Imagine a voter turn out of less than 5% The government would have no moral authority at all.

I agree that people would end up doing what they do, regardless of which society the live in.

On the other hand, not voting doesn't solve anything, do you think the ruling party would give a sh1t that they won with 5% of the vote? Does Labour care that they got 40% or so? Do they fu(k? There are parts of the country where they are lucky to get a turn out of 20% for council & European elections, does this mean that the winner turns round & says "I don't have a moral madate, I think we must re-run the election until at least 50% of the population vote?" Not a chance. You have to go out & vote, if you can't find someone from a major party to vote for, vote for an independant or even, if you must, vote for the BNP (it tends to wake up the other parties), but vote for someone.

Sorry, rant over.

When Hislop asked Boris if he'd tried cocaine Boris replied "I tried to....unsuccessfully. I sneezed."

Much funnier, more plausible (and forgivable) than any Cameron or Davies ducking and evasion.