House Price Crash Forum
judy_hanlon

Current Cost To Build Per Square Foot

Would anyone have an estimate of the current cost to build per square foot? Our provisional plan is to build either a 2 storey or 1&1/2 storey, approx 3,000 sq ft, rural. Cost estimate NOT to include kitchen or bathroom fittings....

Is this a good time to get a good deal with a builder? ie is the building trade still slow?

Thanks

Just as an idea: THIS house is about £100K in cost at 233 square meters. Which is slightly less than your 3000 sq feet. But I think it will fit right into your rural setting. This is just an example and result of a quick search for holz blockhouse (or timber log house)

Apart from that, a typical side extension to a three bedroom 1930s style house to a friend has cost him £50K. About 2.5m wide and about 8 m long.

Another neighbour is extending so may poke my nose around.

Bulk part of the cost will be labour cost. typically 150-300 a day per trade person. Materials: get a self build account with one of the building stores like Keyline, Jewson, Travis or better some locals. Prices are very VARIABLE and noone will give you a straaight answer straight away. I hate the whole thing about having to phone everytime I need a nail to make sure the price is fair.

Plenty of good folks on mytrader site. This is where I got my electrician after all locals quoted twice as much. All done to the regs and certificate issued.

Edited by bulboy

I'm interested to see where the discussion on this goes...I think that with the way the housing market has went; buying a bit of land and going the self-build route is the answer.

After all:

- old houses that are falling apart will be money pits in decades to come, and are really expensive anyway (especially in popular parts of NI)

- new builds are getting smaller and smaller with each year that passes. not cheap; but small

- forget the 'housing ladder' - housing is so expensive that you should treat your first purchase these days as your last

So I think the answer is buy some land and go the self build route. I like minimalist/modernist architecture so would like something with a simple modern well insulated design with plenty of space.

I don't mind paying loads for a house if I have plenty of space. But I'm not toiling away for 30 years for the privilege of owning a rabbit hutch.

Unless you are interested in a site well away from Belfast think you will be surprised at how much you would have to pay. Maybe in the crumlin area you could get a site for 60-70k - but wouldn't call these dream sites. A lot of the time the planning permission has lapsed and you have to go through the hassle of getting this renewed. With the change in planning in ni it could take a while to get this sorted for the next year or two. If you want to adapt a site with planning permission be aware that something that you might want (ie a balcony to look at the stunning scenery, modernist house) might never get permission. Need good local planning knowledge and again with the planning upheaval this might be changed again (might be even anything goes!!!!)

Think Ni is a bit blighted by sites everywhere - don't really see this changing that much. Everyone still thinks that if they have a family a school/doctor/bus/post office will always be available in the nearest village. If there is ever substantial cutbacks you will have to get these services in the nearest medium/large towns. You will be totally dependant on a car but I understand the advantages of countryside living.

Some new developments I think the houses are quite well layout (toilet downstairs, ensuite) unless you have a really big family but I hate the way they don't have proper boundaries/fences. Talking in the office some people really don't want a big garden.

I have loved living in the countryside but I can now walk to shops, cycle to city centre (never going to happen), buses every 10 minutes, doctor is nearby, pub is nearby and if i loose my job I can walk to the dole office. I am living the dream!!!

We have applied for outline planning on the outskirts of Omagh. We have been waiting 14 weeks now for an outcome and have been told we should hear back this week (although have been told that before)

I found the link below on this forum for the eco house from 2020 Architects for £60k, or £70k turnkey. Does anyone know of a house actually being built for this, even back in 2011?

http://www.2020architects.co.uk/eco-home/

We’re looking to build a 4 bed story & ½ but are waiting to see if we get outline before finalising the plans.

My friend helped us submit the outline planning has drew up the below plans, but we're starting to think the 2 block design will cost us more to build & heat

floorplan.jpg

I've spotted this design for a site nearby that we would be happy with and think it will be more affordable to build & run

Nice_Plans.jpg

Hi folks

I recently bought a site and will let you know how I get on. The sites available are few and far between and anything desirable with the planning secured is at least 60k and more if you want your own entrance and a bit of land plus view. Planning cannot lapse if work has started within two years but the definition of started is a grey area unless your entrance is in and your founds and footings are there. I think availability of sites varies and in some areas the availability is very good and cheap. I have a builder in mind who is very keen to start as there is not much building going on but have not settled on a builder yet. Costs are going to be about 50 per square foot but this is dependant on the finish, a kitchen or bathroom can be as cheap or expensive as you like. Underfloor heating and other optional extras all add to the costs. The suitability of your ground can also add tens of thousands if you have poor soil or slopes to deal with.

I would be interested in any info people have to share on the cost per sq ft for their builds in NI.

Built a house outside omagh (Dromore) 1 year 1/2 ago, roughly £55 per square foot

That has not included any landscaping, which i am yet to start!

If you start to build and want to take a look around your more than welcome,

Went for gas underfloor heating.

I'm an electrician so may be able to give you a bit of inspiration for your own build!

Hi, I would be interested in some ideas for sure, I don't think you can pm yet until you have 10 posts, could be wrong

or perhaps you could send me your email

Cheers

adslev, I may be interested in having a look at some stage - work in Dromore, plan on building near mountfield but having some planning hold ups at the moment

£55 per sq ft or under would be my aim

*if anyone has experience of getting planning for a dwelling on a farm where there are no existing farm buildings, please check the last thread i posted to

Hi, I would be interested in some ideas for sure, I don't think you can pm yet until you have 10 posts, could be wrong

or perhaps you could send me your email

Cheers

Hi folks! any ideas as to how much connections to BT, electric and water cost these days? Transformer is on the site.

NIE charge almost £900 as long as no poles required

NI Water charge £800 each for storm and sewer if connecting to the adopted lines, and you pay for the actual work after that.

BT is free but you pay a 'connection charge' for them to turn it live.

Hi folks! any ideas as to how much connections to BT, electric and water cost these days? Transformer is on the site.

Homes under the hammer this morning - 7K to get water mains, sewage and electrics onto a site!