House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Iraq Crisis: Islamists Force 500,000 To Flee Mosul

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27789229

As many as 500,000 people have been forced to flee the Iraqi city of Mosul after Islamist militants effectively took control of it, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) says.

Troops were among those fleeing as hundreds of jihadists from the ISIS group overran the city and much of the surrounding province of Nineveh.

PM Nouri Maliki has asked parliament to declare a state of emergency.

The US said the development showed ISIS was a threat to the entire region.

ISIS - the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, which is also known as ISIL - is an offshoot of al-Qaeda.

It now controls considerable territory in eastern Syria and western and central Iraq, in a campaign to set up a militant enclave straddling the border.

Excellent news, Iraq has developed wonderfully since the Bush/Blair invasion luckily they'll never be held accountable for this mess.

I seem to recall some US General proclaiming that they weren't there to sort out 2000 years of Mesopotamian history, it appears that a correct assessment.

Carry on feck up.

Indeed, irrefutable validation of the profound wisdom of the decision to invade to liberate the Iraqi people from hardship and suffering. Hoorah!

Wasn't it a secular country under Hussein, the most "advanced" in the middle east? Divide and conquer to steal their minerals, same old strategy. I still wonder why we couldn't have just paid for the oil, I suppose TPTB could see us being outbid by the Chinese.

Wasn't it a secular country under Hussein, the most "advanced" in the middle east?

Yep mostly. In the name of the war on terror we managed to turn a country that had nothing to do with terrorism or religious extremism into a hotbed for al qaeda.

Divide and conquer to steal their minerals, same old strategy. I still wonder why we couldn't have just paid for the oil, I suppose TPTB could see us being outbid by the Chinese.

I wish it were that simple. I'd hate the idea that we did it to get the oil but at least I wouldn't think we were run by morons.

The truth is that there is no real reason why we invaded. Bliar presumably thought he was doing gods work and could convert the country into a happy clappy multicultural middle eastern version of his warped vision for Britain.

Bush probably really believed in the axis of evil bulls*** and that somehow Sadaam was secretly behind 9/11. Behind Bush and egging him on was an array of hawks and neo-cons who believed we should have gone all the way in 1991, that they could remake the middle east in America's image or more cynically that they could profit from the vast sums that would be devoted to the military campaign and probably a dozen more reasons beyond.

This is the reality: a mish-mash of reasons and objectives, none of which stand up to more than a moments scrutiny, hidden from public view by fabricated claims about WMD to make the war palatable for the public and the wider world.

The end results, 300,000+ dead, hundreds of billions of dollars wasted, the advance of al qeada into Iraq and beyond, the strengthening of Iran and loss of strength for America and the west, the loss of the campaign in Afghanistan through the diversion of resources when they could've made a difference and countless more failures beyond.

Telegraph reporting that they've taken Tikrit (95m to Baghdad), are battling for Samarra (70m) and will presumably be moving on Baghdad in the near future.

This is f***ing serious now.

Only one option - send in the military !!

The forces still out there must be shatting their pants.

Their 'support' would be the local army . . .

Only one option - send in the military !!

The forces still out there must be shatting their pants.

Their 'support' would be the local army . . .

I wonder how it's going to be spun?

I wonder how it's going to be spun?

I don't think the powers that be think the populace is that stupid.

Well maybe - but there does come a limit.

I don't think the powers that be think the populace is that stupid.

Well maybe - but there does come a limit.

betcha ten bucks?

Yep mostly. In the name of the war on terror we managed to turn a country that had nothing to do with terrorism or religious extremism into a hotbed for al qaeda.

I wish it were that simple. I'd hate the idea that we did it to get the oil but at least I wouldn't think we were run by morons.

The truth is that there is no real reason why we invaded. Bliar presumably thought he was doing gods work and could convert the country into a happy clappy multicultural middle eastern version of his warped vision for Britain.

Bush probably really believed in the axis of evil bulls*** and that somehow Sadaam was secretly behind 9/11. Behind Bush and egging him on was an array of hawks and neo-cons who believed we should have gone all the way in 1991, that they could remake the middle east in America's image or more cynically that they could profit from the vast sums that would be devoted to the military campaign and probably a dozen more reasons beyond.

This is the reality: a mish-mash of reasons and objectives, none of which stand up to more than a moments scrutiny, hidden from public view by fabricated claims about WMD to make the war palatable for the public and the wider world.

The end results, 300,000+ dead, hundreds of billions of dollars wasted, the advance of al qeada into Iraq and beyond, the strengthening of Iran and loss of strength for America and the west, the loss of the campaign in Afghanistan through the diversion of resources when they could've made a difference and countless more failures beyond.

Agreed..

Hard to think how they could have got it worse.

According to the Telegraph "UK military support for Iraq in the fight against Islamist extremists in the north of the country is "not on the table", Downing Street has said"

If this is a full scale AQ takeover of Iraq I don't see how that position can hold.

The thing is, even with 'belief' you still need a hell of a lot of money and organisation and training to pull all this off.

So someone must be funding them etc. So who is it? Do you think our security services don't know? No neither do I. So why are we not being told? Is it because they are actually our Arab allies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

Sunni, so I think it would possibly be the Turkey/Saudi axis for funding.

According to the Telegraph "UK military support for Iraq in the fight against Islamist extremists in the north of the country is "not on the table", Downing Street has said"

If this is a full scale AQ takeover of Iraq I don't see how that position can hold.

They should get any remaining troops out quick style then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq_and_the_Levant

Sunni, so I think it would possibly be the Turkey/Saudi axis for funding.

Wahhabists I think, so that's Saudi Arabia, doubt the Turks would want anything to do with them.

A few thousand fighters recruited from abroad and funded by Saudi individuals isn't going to be that expensive, a few million a year maybe.

They've been learning the ropes against the reasonably capable Syrian Assad forces, now they're using their skills and organisation to overwhelm the shambolic Iraqi forces, once they secure Iraq they'll recruit and re-equip before going back into Syria and wiping out Assad.

Once they have Syria and Iraq under their control they'll either form an alliance with Saudi Arabia or take the country by force, once that happens America gets kicked out and you've got most of the worlds oil supply controlled by an Islamofascist caliphate stretching from the Arabian Sea to the Mediteranian all run by a group of fanatics who make the loonies in Tehran look like the Church of England. Where they go from there god knows.

THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN.

They should get any remaining troops out quick style then.

If not they are sitting ducks.

Helicopters airlifting remaining staff from roofs - Cambodia all over again ?

If I were a private security contractor in Iraq I would be texting my notice already and getting out asap.

We dont have much left to put on the table. In case you haven't noticed, successive goverment have cut the armed forces to the extent theres virtually nothing left. Just the military equivalent of some under done value bangers and some rather sorry looking lettuce.

Wahhabists I think, so that's Saudi Arabia, doubt the Turks would want anything to do with them.

A few thousand fighters recruited from abroad and funded by Saudi individuals isn't going to be that expensive, a few million a year maybe.

They've been learning the ropes against the reasonably capable Syrian Assad forces, now they're using their skills and organisation to overwhelm the shambolic Iraqi forces, once they secure Iraq they'll recruit and re-equip before going back into Syria and wiping out Assad.

Once they have Syria and Iraq under their control they'll either form an alliance with Saudi Arabia or take the country by force, once that happens America gets kicked out and you've got most of the worlds oil supply controlled by an Islamofascist caliphate stretching from the Arabian Sea to the Mediteranian all run by a group of fanatics who make the loonies in Tehran look like the Church of England. Where they go from there god knows.

Saudis probably cheesed off that their poodles the US & UK did not bomb Iran when they ordered asked them to?

Iraq is majority Shia so all out civil war is the most likely outcome.

There is an ongoing wider conflict between the Saudis and the Iranians for dominance in the region and in the Islamic world being played out here.

In some ways this struggle is almost as old as Islam itself

You can follow the score on ARRSE

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/iraq.166367/page-8

Poor Blair. He must have thought shock and awe would be remembered like the Normandy landings.

We need to kit him out and drop him in by parachute to Mosul to sort it out.

Come on Tony we know you are gagging to go.

Iraq is majority Shia so all out civil war is the most likely outcome.

There is an ongoing wider conflict between the Saudis and the Iranians for dominance in the region and in the Islamic world being played out here.

In some ways this struggle is almost as old as Islam itself

You can follow the score on ARRSE

http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/iraq.166367/page-8

Considering Iraq was created with a line in the sand this does seem the most probably outcome unless there is a strong outside influence controlling the situation.

However Iraq as it exits probably should never have existed.