House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Do Hospitals Give Out Patients Names And Bed Numbers?

I'm just curious whether hospitals give out patients names and bed numbers to anyone who calls them? To cut a story short an old acquaintance of mine has landed in hospital in a serious condition apparently. I want to send him a get well card in hospital, but I don't know his exact location.

thanks

They shouldn't give it out but you can ring Admissions, explain and ask. Or you can contact the hospital chaplain and go via him/her.

However, if your friend is in a serious condition will he even be aware of such a card? If he is in ITU cards, flowers, etc, are probably banned anyhow.

They shouldn't give it out but you can ring Admissions, explain and ask. Or you can contact the hospital chaplain and go via him/her.

However, if your friend is in a serious condition will he even be aware of such a card? If he is in ITU cards, flowers, etc, are probably banned anyhow.

I don't know if he'd be aware of the card, I made the assumption he would. I'm hoping he's conscious at least. But your post makes me consider more serious scenarios. He's receiving treatment for DVT and it's a bad case.

I don't know if he'd be aware of the card, I made the assumption he would. I'm hoping he's conscious at least. But your post makes me consider more serious scenarios. He's receiving treatment for DVT and it's a bad case.

How old is he? Is the DVT brought on by a heart condition? Is the DVT confirmed or is it just suspected - I assume the former if you have been informed that it is serious.

Oddly enough, only about 3 hours ago I was having a long conversation with some consultants about treatment for, um, DVT. Bizarrely, I now know more about DVT than any non-medical person should. Small world huh.

How old is he? Is the DVT brought on by a heart condition? Is the DVT confirmed or is it just suspected - I assume the former if you have been informed that it is serious.

Oddly enough, only about 3 hours ago I was having a long conversation with some consultants about treatment for, um, DVT. Bizarrely, I now know more about DVT than any non-medical person should. Small world huh.

It's definitely DVT. Not sure of the cause, though he had recently flown I think. He's been warned the steroids required to treat him may bring on a heart attack. He possibly faces losing a foot. That's all I know.

It's definitely DVT. Not sure of the cause, though he had recently flown I think. He's been warned the steroids required to treat him may bring on a heart attack. He possibly faces losing a foot. That's all I know.

So DVT in the foot or ankle.

To be honest mate, he is probably going through it right now and might not be able to 'take in' a card. He will be on some powerful anticoagulants.

Probably the best thing to do is to contact someone you know who is seeing him - wife, kids, close relatives - and let them tell him that you know he is in hospital, that you wish him well, that you are thinking about him and then, once he is up to it, you will drop him a card or whatever. Sound out whoever it is close to him and find out how he is doing.

If he is worrying about losing a foot, and also at risk of a pulmonary embolus, then I doubt that a card is going to be the top of his concerns at the moment.

Other than that, go back to stage one and ring either the ward direct, the hospital admission or ask the chaplain to have a nose - that is part of the reason why there are chaplains. You will need to find out what ward the DVT ward is in that particular hospital - alas, different hospitals and different trusts call their DVT wards by different names so you will have to google or have a ring and find out.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll hold off and let them get on with it for now.

I'll save the gesture for when he's in better shape.

I occasionally have to ring hospitals to inquire after patients that have been admitted after incidents on our buses (we need to know if they're kept in overnight, as if so the bus has to remain sealed and untouched until seen by a DVSA Inspector, to make sure that the accident wasn't caused by a fault with the bus). Generally they are pretty zealous about patient confidentiality (and rightly so) but most times they will confirm whether they still have a patient, or whether they have been discharged. Presumably you know the guy's full name so you could ring all the hospitals in his local area and ask? Once you've established that he's there you could just post a card to the hospital's main address and hope the post room get it to him?