House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

6 Rape Myths Which Need Busting. Badly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10888758/6-rape-myths-which-need-busting.-Badly.html

As the UK Director of Public Prosecutions warns that jurors need more guidance on rape because we're all guilty of 'unconscious bias', Radhika Sanghani lists six common rape myths that need dispelling

1) A rape victim will always be hysterical

2) The rapist didn’t realise she didn’t want it

3) Rapists are strangers lurking in dark alleys

4) When a rape victim reports it, she’ll be in court soon

5) Rapists are mentally ill monsters

6) Rapists don’t have anyone else to have sex with

I'm not sure this is really a great list of myths that need busting. Rape is a complex issue and this isn't tackling the issue.

"Rape" is all about power, and nothing to do with sex!

I'm not a "rapist" so I'm not an expert!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10888758/6-rape-myths-which-need-busting.-Badly.html

I'm not sure this is really a great list of myths that need busting. Rape is a complex issue and this isn't tackling the issue.

If the bias is 'unconscious' then one by definition cannot be 'guilty' of it

In fact how can one be sure that any conscious 'guidance' impacts the unconscious mind since the latter has no awareness of its own existence.

I know the unconscious or sub conscious mind is a popular concept with psychologists but logically it is nonsense, an oxymoron on a par with the living dead

The idea is even more suspect when applied the verdicts reached by juries which are reached one hopes by conscious individuals.

One suspects that what the author of the article is proposing is that juries be indoctrinated into making conscious decisions that are agreeable to her and the DPP. The 'biased' unconscious mind is just the fig leaf they wish to apply to justify their own version of brain washing

"Rape" is all about power, and nothing to do with sex!

I'm not a "rapist" so I'm not an expert!

That reduces it to property - an artificial way of looking at the world.

Try this - the just world fallacy - not necessarily about rape but about the choices that confirm our place in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis#Additional_evidence

I think there is a degree of self shame attached to realising you've dne smethng stupid. Justifying it by shouting rape is just wrong and women need to learn they can make stupid mistakes and they are t blame.

Getting shit faced is just too easy ... And if you are drunk you will make mistakes in your behaviour.

That doesnt mean people who get shit faced never get raped.

Its beyond wrong - trying to put a bloke who has done nothing wrong into jail for ten years - because you feel a little ashamed - is full on psychotic needs to be locked up in a padded cell behaviour.

I think there's a lot more than six. I've thought of a seventh without really trying - I am pretty drunk so will almost certainly regret typing this tomorrow when it looks much less appealing in the cold sober light of day.

As the UK Director of Public Prosecutions warns that jurors need more guidance on rape because we're all guilty of 'unconscious bias', Radhika Sanghani lists six common rape myths that need dispelling

1) A rape victim will always be hysterical

2) The rapist didn’t realise she didn’t want it

3) Rapists are strangers lurking in dark alleys

4) When a rape victim reports it, she’ll be in court soon

5) Rapists are mentally ill monsters

6) Rapists don’t have anyone else to have sex with

7) Rape victims should be ashamed if it went a bit Straw Dogs.