House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

council dweller

British Values.....

So....freedom, tolerance and respect for the rule of law.

Have you got that children?

For the rest of you do as you did before.

What kind of idiot is Cameron anyway....

If Cameron gets kicked out in 2015 we're looking at Gove as the leader. He could capture May's followers by wearing leopard-skin high heels.

Are you scared yet?

Freedom...except for the basic freedom, speech

Tolerance...except for 'blasphemous' or inconvenient opinion

Rule of Law...New laws that politicians add by the bucketload every year.

Britishness is tolerating tory scum.

I was giving this some thought.

Born in London, lived in England all my life.

Though not around during the World Wars, I have a fair idea of what went on and of this country's history both positive and negative.

We'll skip over inconvenient truths like the slave trade, colonisation and the Bank of England and its role in previous wars. They were a fair while ago.

Naturally, the threat of invasion would bring a population together with the common goal of not, er, being invaded.

Beyond this, I have no idea what it means "to be British".

We have decent universities but don't value engineering particularly highly, speak the World language, and enjoy tea and mind-numbingly crap prime-time television.

Really struggling to extend that list. Someone must be able to help out..?

Hypocrisy and double standards?

Sorry but that's what Britishness feels like to me now (going back a good few decades you could perhaps call it pragmatism but that has slowly eroded into double standards).

From the home owner who thinks it's fine that the price of their house doubled but thinks gas/electricity prices going up 3% is a disgrace, to the pub bore banging on about immigration who then gives you the number of the cheap Polish plumber he uses.

Like a fight

Like a drink

Like winning

Don't like being told what to do, say or think

I saw a very amusing "health and safety" sign on an American oil rig!

It said "do not fight, gamble or drink with the British, because you will lose! :blink:

I understand that the definitive way to identify a community's values is to subject all stakeholders to a series of creepy Delphi sessions* until they agree that they buy into a steaming pile of glittering generalities* and then shove them all into a wordle*...

2n88oxh.jpg

* = none of which, once upon a time, were very British

Liberty. Equality. Fraternity.

That sounds a bit French!

British values? I prefer the metric system.

Merde alors!

I was giving this some thought.

Born in London, lived in England all my life.

Though not around during the World Wars, I have a fair idea of what went on and of this country's history both positive and negative.

We'll skip over inconvenient truths like the slave trade, colonisation and the Bank of England and its role in previous wars. They were a fair while ago.

Naturally, the threat of invasion would bring a population together with the common goal of not, er, being invaded.

Beyond this, I have no idea what it means "to be British".

We have decent universities but don't value engineering particularly highly, speak the World language, and enjoy tea and mind-numbingly crap prime-time television.

Really struggling to extend that list. Someone must be able to help out..?

Politeness.

Sounds trite, but it's a very British trait.

It's also blatantly obvious if you simply jump on the Eurostar, and take note of the behaviour of your fellow human beings.

St Pancras & Gare Du Nord - you could be on a different planet (if you make the trip at rush-hour).

At Gare du Nord, I've been insulted because I was taking up the whole width of the escalator (I was holding on to both a pushchair and a suitcase).

At St Pancras - I would expect an offer of help.

It sounds like nothing, but politeness is one of the great things about this country.

Politeness.

Sounds trite, but it's a very British trait.

It's also blatantly obvious if you simply jump on the Eurostar, and take note of the behaviour of your fellow human beings.

St Pancras & Gare Du Nord - you could be on a different planet (if you make the trip at rush-hour).

At Gare du Nord, I've been insulted because I was taking up the whole width of the escalator (I was holding on to both a pushchair and a suitcase).

At St Pancras - I would expect an offer of help.

It sounds like nothing, but politeness is one of the great things about this country.

Yes it is and I get that at aiports! I was stuck in Madrid for some reason, and all the lifts were out! So I'm following a lady upstairs, a lady with loads of bags! So I helped her a bit! None of the Spanish guys were helping! And she asked where I was from, and it was England! "All you English guys are such gentlemen!" :wub: Let's try to be! :blink:

Yes it is and I get that at aiports! I was stuck in Madrid for some reason, and all the lifts were out! So I'm following a lady upstairs, a lady with loads of bags! So I helped her a bit! None of the Spanish guys were helping! And she asked where I was from, and it was England! "All you English guys are such gentlemen!" :wub: Let's try to be! :blink:

I was on a trip to Berlin a couple of years ago with a few mates and a couple of our party did a similar favour for a lady struggling with a load of luggage on the steps of the U-Bahn.

She said she knew immediately we were English because no other nationality in the city would have helped her in that way.

I almost felt proud to come from the UK.

Sarcasm

Self deprecation

Ridiculous over-politeness and fear of causing offence

Tolerance of huge differences

Total intolerance of small differences

Fear of intellectuals

Bicycle time trials

Beer in superhuman quantities

Pies

I would say a British value is caring for those less fortunate than ourselves. The British have defended the NHS from attacks over the years, and would never let it be destroyed. That's because morally we see it as the right thing to do. Some countries share this value and many others don't.