House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Postmen Censoring Out Mail

Hillsborough: Postal staff refuse to deliver free Sun copies

i am no lover of the Sun, but this story is pretty outrageous.

The Sun is using the Royal Mail to deliver free promotional copies. They have already decided not to distribute the copies in Liverpool, because Scousers loathe the Sun (with justification) over the way it reported the Hillsborough disaster. However, some postmen are refusing to deliver them in Scarborough Skelmersdale.

Very telling is this comment:

Local MP Rosie Cooper (Labour, West Lancashire) added that any attempt by Royal Mail to force staff to deliver the newspaper, "would be a real strain on the integrity of the postal service".

Wrong, Ms. Cooper. Allowing posties to censor what is or is not delivered "would be a real strain on the integrity of the postal service".

On the face of it, the Royal Mail is now a private company and can decide what it does or does not deliver in deals like this. If posties do not like what they are required to deliver, they can get another job.

BUT the Royal Mail has a monopoly on mail delivery to the door. So it is not a simple matter of market choices for private companies.

If the Royal Mail gives in to it's posties, then the Royal Mail should lose it's monopoly (I think it should anyway).

Edit: correction

I think new moston has a separate delivery company (orange uniform and bike/trike I think)

Can't think which company, but have seen them doing what looks like door t door a few times.

Shunt be allowed to pick and choose.

They ain't censoring mail, they are refusing to deliver spam.

(refusing to deliver addressed mail or addressed copies of the Sun to subscribers would be censorship)

(refusing to deliver addressed mail or addressed copies of the Sun to subscribers would be censorship)

Exactly, I would be happy if they refused to deliver anything not actually addressed to me. If I get a copy of the sun its going straight into the post box across the road.

Not nearly so picky about delivering crap from the council about which recycling bin to put the unwanted Domino's Pizza flyer, they stuffed through the door the day before, in though are they?

Perky 21 year old Hayley from Southend-on-sea says she's not as keen on Posties as she used to be and they are no longer the sorts of chaps she'd welcome an unexpected backdoor delivery from.

Are they coming out in solidarity with newspaper boys?

There is a serious note in that expecting postmen to deliver large numbers of the Sun does increase the weight of their bags and the number of houses they have to visit on a round quite considerably. In which case they should expect additional recompense.

I'd guess this would double their workload. It would be worse than Xmas. So I'd agree with that aspect.

But discriminating on the grounds of politics is a no-no. Totally unacceptable.

I certainly noticed in America that postmen deliver huge loads of spam on every run btw. Mainly supermarket vouchers. I hated that s***. But I suppose it kept them in work.

A friend has been wondering why post hasn't been forwarded:

From Royal Mail: "May I also make you aware that TNT (a subsidiary of the Dutch postal service) is now collecting, sorting and delivering its customers’ mail to addresses in the Manchester area as well. Any mail that is handled entirely by them would not be redirected as these items do not enter the Royal Mail system."

Straw man. If written material is supposed to be delivered to me for me to read, and that delivery is stopped because of what the written material is, or because of who it is published by, and that decision is not made by either the sender nor me, that is censorship.

Are they coming out in solidarity with newspaper boys?

There is a serious note in that expecting postmen to deliver large numbers of the Sun does increase the weight of their bags and the number of houses they have to visit on a round quite considerably. In which case they should expect additional recompense.

Perhaps, but that is a separate issue. The postmen are not refusing to deliver the Sun because of the extra weight.

Are they being delivered as "households"? If its still the case, my postie mate delivered the Royal Mail junk as overtime after his shift, voluntary basis.

Addressed mail is clearly a different issue.

But if they don't deliver the spam, their choice. They won't get the bunce that's all

Royal Mail has a monopoly on mail delivery to the door. So it is not a simple matter of market choices for private companies.

You appear not to understand the meaning of a monoply.

Over 50 licences have been issued to deliver mail in the UK.

The UK postal market has been fully open to competition since 2006. The UK postal market was one of the first in Europe to liberalise its postal market. Many European member states did not fully liberalise their postal services market until 31 December 2011, the last possible date allowed under European law. - See more at: http://www.royalmailgroup.com/regulation/how-were-regulated/open-postal-market#sthash.6qDMiQAf.dpuf

Tesco's would also be a monopoly if its competertors had not grown from corner shops.

Nobody else wants to expand, because they make more money being lazy and passsing the hard work onto Royal Mail.

Royal Mail is legally bound to deliver everywhere, so if it's cr*p they end up with it.

I think the Government should franchise out areas, as happens with the railways.

If TNT, UK Mail, UPS Etc then want to bid for a region then good luck to 'em.

Are they being delivered as "households"? If its still the case, my postie mate delivered the Royal Mail junk as overtime after his shift, voluntary basis.

Addressed mail is clearly a different issue.

But if they don't deliver the spam, their choice. They won't get the bunce that's all

No more overtime for this, its all consolidated into the basic pay.

You appear not to understand the meaning of a monoply.

I understand very well what a monopoly is, but was unaware that the Royal Mail no longer was one, even to the door. Thanks for putting me straight.

I understand very well what a monopoly is, but was unaware that the Royal Mail no longer was one, even to the door. Thanks for putting me straight.

Jehovah's witnesses are always puting stuff through my door!

Miliband having to apologise for posing with a picture of the Sun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27829958

How far up their own fundaments are the people of Liverpool? Boris Johnson was spot on about them, even though he was ordered to grovel to them afterwards.

Liverpudlians "wallow" in their "victim status", adding it is part of the "deeply unattractive psyche" of many in the city.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3749548.stm

That is because your letterbox is at p*nis height!

I've just checked, and it is! :wacko:

Miliband having to apologise for posing with a picture of the Sun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27829958

How far up their own fundaments are the people of Liverpool? Boris Johnson was spot on about them, even though he was ordered to grovel to them afterwards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3749548.stm

How would you feel if you lost a loved one when you needn't have, then they were labelled scum by the press. Would you continue to pay to consume such media? Read it for free?

How would you feel if you lost a loved one when you needn't have, then they were labelled scum by the press. Would you continue to pay to consume such media? Read it for free?

I doubt I would.

I did not lose anyone in such circumstances. It is my decision whether I receive and read the papers. It should not be a postman's decision.