House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John The Pessimist

Ea Slams 'parasitic' Online Eas

Have the Luddites just seen their first steam driven loom? Will these champions of free enterprise soon be waving placards about the 'evils of unregulated internet EAs'? Are the lemmings beginning to see a cliff edge?

I love the reference to parasites!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/houseprices/10877780/Estate-agent-chief-condemns-online-parasites.html

What a terribly written article. Even the quotes don't make any sense. I had to read this one 5 times before it made any sense:

The online option is a bit of a con, only doing 20pc of the job a full-service estate agent does but not getting the high prices and therefore what youre paying might not amount to very much.

Are the Telegraph employing primary school children as writers these days?

What a terribly written article. Even the quotes don't make any sense. I had to read this one 5 times before it made any sense:

The online option is a bit of a con, only doing 20pc of the job a full-service estate agent does but not getting the high prices and therefore what youre paying might not amount to very much.

Of course the quotes don't make any sense, they're quotes from estate agents!

They seem worried. Why its taken this long is rather baffling.

Squeal piggies !

"Parasites". Priceless.

Edited by cybernoid

The DT seems to have hired several Cosmopolitan writers, as well as left wing nutjobs like Hodges, my kids pop up books are more inofrmative.

What value added do office based agents offer now anyway? Sure, back in the day you would go in, look at the pictures and come away with an arm full of glossy prints- but today you sit at home, use rightmove and street view and the entire process is digital until you need to view.

What the EA's have worked out is that the move to online agents is the thin end of a wedge that will drive down the prices they can charge- this is the real reason they have finally decided to launch their own platform, rather then any concern as to the quality of online agencies.

The joke is that they did not see this coming years ago.

"Parasites". Priceless.

+1 :lol:

What value added do office based agents offer now anyway? Sure, back in the day you would go in, look at the pictures and come away with an arm full of glossy prints- but today you sit at home, use rightmove and street view and the entire process is digital until you need to view.

What the EA's have worked out is that the move to online agents is the thin end of a wedge that will drive down the prices they can charge- this is the real reason they have finally decided to launch their own platform, rather then any concern as to the quality of online agencies.

The joke is that they did not see this coming years ago.

I also have wondered why its taken so long for on-line agents to take away serious business from the high street EA's. Looks like they are starting to get worried now though!

An interesting phenomenon is that businesses often assume collapsing sales, or volumes, are the result of a competitor's activity. There always seems to be a massive time-lag in them arriving at the conclusion that the demand has simply disappeared entirely. This is pretty common across all sectors, I find.

My income has fallen a lot.

I am blowing off tramps in the park for loose change.

Who do I blame??

They might be tramps now but, once upon a time, they had a Mini Cooper and a suit from Moss Bros.

Nick Clegg has been a popular sheeple choice since they forgot about Gordon Brown. Although, in your case, I'd suspect a step-dad with wandering hands.

Edited by SNACR

...and this heated "head to head" vid.

Watch the Traditional EA squirm!

vid posted this morning

:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10886497/Online-estate-agents-UK-vs-the-high-street.html

Does Ed Mead drive a taxi aswel? #UBER

Edited by Killer Bunny

...and this heated "head to head" vid.

Watch the Traditional EA squirm!

vid posted this morning

:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10886497/Online-estate-agents-UK-vs-the-high-street.html

Funny stuff.

Everyone hates EAs. Buyers and sellers, landlords and tenants. Both parties are desperate for another solution if only so they can stick to the last EA who patronised them and treated them like crap.

Buyers have rented before they look to buy, and how well do estate agents treat tenants? Where are the estate agent hating tenant buyers going to go looking when there is an alternative?

The EAs have done it to themselves, and good riddance.

Would also be interesting to see if prices are more likely to fall with online agencies since shop agencies tend to push up prices for their own benefit a lot more and lie about things (phantom buyers), make the buyer pay more, tell the seller their house is worth more than it is in order to get their big commision etc.

I can see EA marketing tactics taking the same direction insurance companies did in response to price comparison websites:

"Remember, we don't advertise on Rightmove, so you can be sure of the very best deal"

Crikey, the (traditional) EA in that video is the pure, living definition of the word 'flustered'

(unless he'd just taken a large dose of Niacin.)

The old world vs the new world!

Hopefully, the same will happen to lawyers.

Edited by Reck B

Lulz.

Traditional EAs are basically saying - "We'll get a bidding war going so you'll get more for your property and that will work out better value than paying a £500 fixed fee". The trouble with this argument is that most sellers are also buyers, and no one really wants to enter a bidding war orchestrated by some spiv in a shiny suit. Bidding wars are still likely to happen organically for popular properties, you're just removing the shiny suit and the mini cooper, and saving 90% in the process. It's a no-brainer.

In MBA speak, EAs are "network facilitators" so anyone who can significantly increase the efficiency of that core offering (facilitating the network between buyers and sellers) will win, perceived "added-value" is secondary. It's classic disruptive innovation via technology at work.

Like others though, my only question is: Why has this taken so long?