House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Comedian And Actor Rik Mayall Dies

I remember as a kid when The Young Ones came on TV.Nothing like it had been seen before.It really was superb cutting edge comedy and really nailed the politics of the time.

A very sad loss.

Not saying what he died of. Very sad. Very funny man. He apparently filmed a part in the Harry Potter films but it never made it to screen.

He got badly injured several years back riding one of those quad bikes IIRC. I think he suffered for years as a result.

Gutted. Think this is my first real 'childhood hero' to die.

I watched Bottom non-stop growing up; loved it. Have whole scripts memorized.

Very sad indeed. RIP Rik.

I remember as a kid when The Young Ones came on TV.Nothing like it had been seen before.It really was superb cutting edge comedy and really nailed the politics of the time.

A very sad loss.

And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!" And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?" And then another kid will say...

RIP. :(

I always thought his Kevin Turvey character from A Kick Up the 80s was his best....

Ah yes! Kevin Turvey brings back memories!

Was a student in Newcastle, when Young Ones was done!

Bottom was my favourite programme for several years, we even went on a pub crawl starting at Hammersmith Road dressed as the characters :)

Sad news. So his quad bike accident 16 yrs ago lead to a decline in health. Gotta be careful out there folks.

RIP Rik. :(

Loved watching 'Bottom' (ooer) in the early 1990s. I was a teenager then so the knob gags and potty humour was much appreciated. :lol:

Really gutting - only 56. RIP.

My favourite role was his portrayal of right-wing Tory MP Alan B'Stard in The New Statesman (subsequenly right-wing Nu Labour MP in the stage version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIjmmuE3xg

I always thought New Statesman never really got the credit it deserved. May have suffered from the Alf Garnett thing of a certain demographic not realising it was parody.

Whether it turns out to be a blood-clot on the brain, or whatever, It always seemed the quad accident cast a long shadow.

My mum and dad didnt get Kevin Turvey....I thought that was his real name...hilarious.

What sad news. He had a reputation for being a nice guy in real life.

Apparently you have , too, despite being immensely silly!

Very funny guy. I wonder what his life would have been like if he hadn't had the quad bike accident. I expect he would have had many more comic moments!

I remember the randomness and chaotic scenes of the Young Ones and enjoying them a lot as a youngster. I think I even recorded a cassette tape of my favourite episodes. Later in the early 90's I remember visting the circular bar of "The C0ck O' The North" pub in Henleaze in Bristol which was one of Young Ones filming locations, think the pub was called something else though!