House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Reck B

Premium Bonds Email

"Exciting news about Premium Bonds from ERNIE"

We’ve got some important news to tell you about Premium Bonds. Starting from the August draw, ERNIE (our Electronic Random Number Indicator Equipment) will pick two £1 million jackpot winners alongside the 1.8 million other cash prizes every month. And because all Premium Bonds prizes are free from UK Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax, you get to keep all the money.

Plus the maximum you can invest has now been increased to £40,000. Remember, every single £1 you invest has a separate and equal chance every month of winning a cash prize of between £25 and £1 million. That means there are even more chances to win every month. So what are you waiting for? Find out below how to buy your Bonds today.

The August draw is fast approaching and we wouldn’t want you to miss out on the opportunity to increase your chances of becoming a millionaire. You need to invest by the end of June if you want your new Bonds to be eligible for the August draw.

The minimum for each investment is £100, and investments must always be made in whole pounds. Your savings are 100% secure, backed by HM Treasury. Remember that inflation can reduce the true value of your money over time.

Interesting that they should feel the need to put the inflation statement in the marketing piece.

It would be more honest though to change the statement to;

"Remember, HMG / Bank of England monetary policy is designed to reduce the value of your money over time."

Edited by Reck B

worth a £100 bet.....although over time it will eventually become zero at least you get an entry for free every month and get your worthless money back when you request it, migh buy a couple of litres of milk at some point......a lottery pledge means one bet you lose then gone forever. ;)

I'm not knocking it, they have some of my cash, hell I need all the luck I can get if I'm going to buy a house, rate things are going. You gotta be in it to win it! 40k is taking it a bit far though...

Well I think those pensioner bonds are also due at some point. I had thought that NS and I had hit their financing target so would be closing doors to new cash.

I expect deflation.

The median yield is something like 1.25% tax free.

For a higher or highest rate tax payer, it's a no brainer as this type of yield is not available commercially for a 40k cash savings pot.

Plus, by virtue of the distribution being heavily skewed to higher prizes, the chance of a big prize is greater than expected from median rate alone.

The median yield is something like 1.25% tax free.

For a higher or highest rate tax payer, it's a no brainer as this type of yield is not available commercially for a 40k cash savings pot.

Plus, by virtue of the distribution being heavily skewed to higher prizes, the chance of a big prize is greater than expected from median rate alone.

Yes, 1.3%, which is more than my memory served me. I've done better than that over the last couple of years and tripled my holding on the back of that last minute month.

No emails due from Ernie for a while for me...

Mrs Loo has had £10 worth for 40 years.

NEVER a penny paid out.

Mrs Loo has had £10 worth for 40 years.

NEVER a penny paid out.

Had £3 worth of bonds since they started. Never a penny back. I curse that investment every day...

Edited by juvenal

Had £3 worth of bonds since they started. Never a penny back. I curse that investment every day...

yeah, but, on average you have had a great return...and the weekly thrill of the draw.

Seems like a reasonable place to 'park' a sum of money in the shorter term. 100% guaranteed return of deposit (or else the state has collapsed), average tax-free rate of return close to typical bank rate for instant access account after tax (better if you are a higher rate taxpayer) and a small chance of winning serious money.

yeah, but, on average you have had a great return...and the weekly thrill of the draw.

It doesn't feel like it...

It doesn't feel like it...

Well you know what they say. They guarantee you will be come a millionaire or your money back.

My rent has gone up 50 p.m in 17 years, parking equivalent of 17 years rent (averages out at around £81,600) in premium bonds 17 years ago (or now if we assume rent is still going nowhere) is an inflation proof deal (if the money is for rent)?

Edited by dances with sheeple